Newbie / Rookie Fly Tier's Swap

None of these ties look like something a newbie/rookie tyer would produce.

You guys are doing some exceptional work. Very impressive!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
None of these ties look like something a newbie/rookie tyer would produce.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think tyger is a ringer...lol

Seriously, they are professional looking flies.

Thanks. Gencon taught me everything so praise be to GC! He pushed me towards styles that I liked or preferred before i even knewi liked them. Know what i mean? He saw that crap i tied when i first started with him and eventually said stuff like hey tyger check Hans Weilenmann out. Or try this fly for the swap and it just fit. Hard to explain. All these flies everyone is tying should have the rookie label removed i think...

Nice flys tiger, I cant wait to be takeing that fly out of a nice troutys lip

J55tyger88 wrote:
Flies are done. Hammered em out tonight. I know its a little early but its been bugging me to get these done. Don't know why, but it was. I'm pumped to see everyones flies.

I guess I could ship these early if you'd like.

Nice looking ties!

I felt some of the same pressure/desire to get the flies complete. Can't wait to see everyone's work up close and personal.

Tyger, thanks for the compliment. But you are a natural. I am very pleased to be a part of your learning. Also with Mic he is progressing very nicely as well. I am proud of you guys.

GenCon

Sorry dbl post

Pumped to get on some fish with all these patterns ... my 1st set has been done for a few and I've just been messing arnd with a few others patterns. I am going to start following Charlie Cravens book on techniques and my 2nd set will be the Brassie Nymph pattern..just waiting for my order of materials to get to me.

WMD Hot Spot Nymph recipe

Hook - TCO 3761 Size 14
Bead - Gold 7/64
Body thread - Danville Waxed Brown
Hot Spot - Uni Thread 6/10 Pink
Wire - Ultra Wire Copper
Dubbing - Life Cycle Caddis Tan

20140402_113113_zps6d6a94b8.jpg

My 2 patterns have been done as well. I will look at them again this week to see if there are any I want to retie. Sometimes flies that look good one day wont pass the eye test another day.

Also, I never got a pm regarding where to ship the flies to. Has is been sent yet? I am just making sure that I wasnt missed.

Stags-nice dude, those look good.

Nice Andrew! Your ties are getting ALOT better. Keep up the great work.

Thanks gents ... actually feel good that I can tie (or have an idea how to tie) a handful of basic patterns w/out having to look at youtube!

Stagger

Those are some good looking flies!

PAgeologist wrote:
My 2 patterns have been done as well. I will look at them again this week to see if there are any I want to retie. Sometimes flies that look good one day wont pass the eye test another day.

Also, I never got a pm regarding where to ship the flies to. Has is been sent yet? I am just making sure that I wasnt missed.

PA

Pm sent

Progress Report for the Newbie Tier’s Swap - This is not intended tp pressure anyone, just to keep us up on where we are. :)

1. J55tyger88 Muskrat Nymph and Triple Threat Caddis - Done and Ready to Mail

2. Stagger_Lee Frenchie and WMD Hot Spot Nymph – One Down, One to go

3. DJS12354 Chartreuse Midge and Bead-Head Soft Hackle (CDC & Elk to follow) Done and Ready to Mail

4. Rolf Soft Hackles ?

5. Mic Olive Wet ?

6. PhiendWMD Olive Wooly Bugger and Sulphur Comparadun ? – One Down, One to go

7. Sipe Sipe’s Latex Stone

8. Martin0206 Loop Wing BWO Emerger and Mercer Caddis Pupa

9. PAgeologist Tan Elk Hair Caddis and Flashback Pheasant Tail Done and Ready to Mail

10. Pro4mance ?

11. Militades Halfback Nymph and Pink Squirrel – One Down, One to go

Working on it...they'll be done for sure, but I've been tying some other stuff for personal use.

sipe wrote:
Working on it...they'll be done for sure, but I've been tying some other stuff for personal use.

No pressure, Sipe. Going out tomorrow to try some of the green midges that I deemed second class.

Mine are finished and let’s just say this was and education. I learned a lot. First off, I’m better at BBQ and grilling than tying or photography. :)

Partridge & Purple
Hook: #14 TMC 3769
Body: Pearsall’s Gossamer Silk. Purple
Thorax: Rabbit dyed black
Hackle: Hungarian Partridge
Fly%20019-L.jpg

Black Pennell
Hook: #14 TMC 3769
Body: Uni-Thread 8/0 Black
Rib: Ultra Wire Silver
Tail: Lady Amherst tippet barbs
Hackle: Black Hen