Newbie / Rookie Fly Tier's Swap

I'm almost ashamed to post this after seeing the work you gentlemen are doing. But I had this idea and now must pay the price. :)

Here’s one of the flies I will have for the swap. It’s a bead-head midge/nymph in size 18. I chose the color based on seeing a similar bug working on the Little Lehigh one day when nothing else seemed to be producing.

Hook is an Allen N203, size 18

Bead is also Allen, 2.4 mm, Brass, Black Nickel color

Thread is Danville 70 denier Chartreuse

Used Ice Dub in Peacock Black, since the Peacock Herl gives me fits.

It's a pretty simple tie, but one that I know produces.

Leaning toward a Bead Head Pheasant Tail, Soft Hackle for another fly and perhaps a CDC and Elk.

Attachments

• Swap Midges.jpg
    Swap Midges.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 3
Good ties Dave .. and lol @ being "almost ashamed" they look good and they produce on the LL and those trout are picky.

Very impressed with all the ties in this thread.

Way to go, Dave!

Those puppies will hunt.

I say go for the cdc/elks - you can do it, and quite well I might add. :-D

Nice dude! Those nymph midges look sweet. Right up my alley with the ice dub.

First off, just wanted to say Thank You for the comments on the midges.

Its a little old and raining outside , so I thought I would spend some of my “off” Friday trying to tie some flies for the swap.

Decided that number two fly would be a bead-head soft hackle. I've had success with these by fishing them upstream as a nymph and by swinging them downstream as well.

Hook – Allen F-2006, size 16

Bead – Allen, 2.4 mm gold brass

Wire - Danville medium copper

Hackle – Is from a hen saddle generously given to me by Volksnurse. Picture below (of the saddle, not Volks ;-)

Tail – 4 to 5 lengths of Pheasant Tail

Body – Dubbed with light tan Hare’s Ear Spectra dubbing

Thorax – Black Ice Peacock dubbing

Thread – Brown Uni

I believe I follow this up with a CDC and Elk has Heritage Angler has suggested. (Gotta throw something else in there to make up for how easy the midges are! :)

Attachments

• Swap Soft Hackle.jpg
    Swap Soft Hackle.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Hen Saddle.jpg
    Hen Saddle.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 3
Past time for me to get this post up. I hope everyone else is enjoying this as much as I am. It's interesting to see the flies and to read the commentary.

Roll Call for the Newbie Tier’s Swap (If I missed anyone, please holler!)

1. J55tyger88 Muskrat Nymph and Triple Threat Caddis

2. Stagger_Lee Frenchie and WMD Hot Spot Nymph

3. DJS12354 Chartreuse Midge and Bead-Head Soft Hackle (CDC & Elk to follow)

4. Rolf Soft Hackles ?

5. Mic Olive Wet ?

6. PhiendWMD Olive Wooly Bugger and Sulphur Comparadun ?

7. Sipe Sipe’s Latex Stone

8. Martin0206 Loop Wing BWO Emerger and Mercer Caddis Pupa

9. PAgeologist Tan Elk Hair Caddis and Flashback Pheasant Tail

10. Pro4mance ?

11. Militades Halfback Nymph and Pink Squirrel

The bead in the pic looks colorful! Just brass tho, eh? Nice tie man.

J55tyger88 wrote:
The bead in the pic looks colorful! Just brass tho, eh? Nice tie man.

Thanks, Tyger

The bead color - Yeah, that surprised me when I pulled the pic up on the laptop. Must just be effect of the light from the flash and the angle I was shooting.

BTW - for anyone wanting a good background for shooting pics of their ties, just get a piece of thin cardboard (like that from the back of a tablet or a pizza box) and spray it with grey primer. It's a good neutral color for photos and helps the details stand out in your picture.

Alright gents ... finished up my nymphs and the photos are here (all look like the 2nd set).

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open-forums/fly-tying/is-my-tail-to-long-and-other-critiques/5,34332,0,15,0,0,ASC.html

Considering the WMD Hot Spot Nymph is very similar to the frenchie I'm gonna change it up. Give me another tie ... I'm thinking maybe Walts worm, Al's rat and or another idea but also looking 4 ur guys $.02!

Keep ideas simple for me! ;-)

It was/is windy, rainy and chilly here in Carbondale, so after church and making sauce for supper, I sat down and tied up a dozen CDC and Elk for the swap. Actually, I tied a couple, watched the game, tied a couple more, watched the game,etc.......

According to Heritage Angler, this is an easy fly to tie up, but getting it the way I thought it should look has given me fits for some time now. It's not complicated in terms of number of materials, but I have to concentrate to get it to come out correctly.

Amazingly enough, I'm done for this swap ( I usually am a great procrastinator) , except for getting the flies here, sorted and mailed out to everyone. I have the Chartreuse Midgle, Beadhead Softhackle and the CDC and Elk.

How is everyone else doing? If you are ready let me know and I will PM my address information. If you don't have a container to hold the flies for mailing, Altoid Mints tin has been suggested. I found some great plastic containers at the local dollar store.

Almost forgot the materials list:

Allen N103S Dry Fly, size 14

Mayfly fibbets in white

Tan Cul de Canard

Comparadun Deer Hair

Attachments

• swap CDC n Elk.jpg
    swap CDC n Elk.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 3
Mayfly fibbets in white?

It's a caddis immitation (no tails) - not that it doesn't work for a mayfly immitation in a pinch. ;-)

I can clip em.... :)

Joy just walked in and said: "That's a lot of little flies you tied. They're cute"

No Respect.

I have my buggers done. I'll get a pic tomorrow. I tried the sulphur comparaduns but couldn't get the dubbing I have fine enough to taper right. I tried with some other dubbing and it worked better. So I am changing it to a light Cahill comparadun.

Here are the recipes

Olive wooly bugger
Hook: tmc 5262 size 8
Bead: black nickle
Weight: 17 wraps .015 lead substitute
Thread: uni-thread 8/0 tan
Tail: olive marabou and pearl crystal flash
Body: olive chenille
Hackle: ginger
Rib: copper ultra wire

Light Cahill comparadun
Hook: Allen D101 size 16
Thread: Danville 70 denier white
Wing: bleached coastal deer
Tail: cream hackle fibers
Dubbing: light cahill

Have my half-backs done. Gonna tie up the squirrels soon.

Recipe for HB
Hook: any wet or nymph. Used allen 16 wet
Tail : 4-5 strands of pheasant tail
Body: peacock herl
Rib: thread- left it long when i put down the thread base. Pulled forward and counter wrapped
Thorax: peacock herl, wrapped to be bigger than the body
Wingcase: pheasant tail
Legs: pheasant tail tips from thorax, pulled down and clipped.
Thread: chocolate brown danville 6/0

OK I giver up trying to use the image tags. Here is a link.
http://imgur.com/IpGrFLN

Phiend:

Nice looking flies!

Flies are done. Hammered em out tonight. I know its a little early but its been bugging me to get these done. Don't know why, but it was. I'm pumped to see everyones flies.

Triple Threat Caddis
CAM00395_zps16c41b18.jpg

Muskrat Nymph
CAM00394_zps9a722ba4.jpg

I guess I could ship these early if you'd like.

They look good tyger.

GC

J55tyger88 wrote:
Flies are done. Hammered em out tonight. I know its a little early but its been bugging me to get these done. Don't know why, but it was.

I'll tell you why, you're one of those people that once you make a commitment to a swap it's as good as done and you make sure of it. I sense that your flies will never be the set waited upon...
They look great BTW.

Thanks GC and Jack.

There is a ton of underfur compared to the guard hairs on my muskrat mask. I had a small bag of fine dubbing when i was done with the nymphs from doing the tails.

Back