Newbie Fish & Chips Session II - Saturday, July 28th

djs12354 wrote:
I want to get into fish, but my real goal is for the Aardvark to meet the PAFF contingent and, hopefully, get the coaching that puts him onto his first trout. Best I could do was get him the gear and get him on the sunfish :-(

Black ants should work, so with his name, I'm sure he's got plenty of those! :oops:

Based on the posts and lack of PM's, I'm guessing we have more coffee drinkers than not, so I'll get 2.

Same goes for burgers. No one notified me that they don't want BUT does anyone want more than one? Planning on hitting the store tomorrow AM so let me know so I can accommodate

Ed .. the shop I hit ystrday had black ones with the white fuzz (wings) and they told me male. She also had black one w/out the fuzz she said was female (she said both tricos) .. so I purchased them.

I'll show them to the guys when I get there. If I am understanding correctly .. many patterns have different types regular, spinner, etc?

For example .. regular tricos & trico spinners ?

Black ants should work, so with his name, I'm sure he's got plenty of those!

Now I'm not sure if you are serious per his name???

Will they fish be looking for ants? Any other patterns?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Black ants should work, so with his name, I'm sure he's got plenty of those!

Now I'm not sure if you are serious per his name???

Will they fish be looking for ants? Any other patterns?

They may very well be taking ants late morning and early PM but it will be tricos pretty much until around 9

Stagger_Lee wrote:
If I am understanding correctly .. many patterns have different types regular, spinner, etc?

For example .. regular tricos & trico spinners ?

Stagger - Flies used to immitate mayflies are designed to match the various stages in their life cycle.

For a general idea of what these life cycle stages are, and look like, click here.

You'll get all your questions answered on Saturday (and then some) - trust me.

Thanks foxy .. any other patterns I should be aware of?

Stagger - Flies used to immitate mayflies are designed to match the various stages in their life cycle.

For a general idea of what these life cycle stages are, and look like, click here.

You'll get all your questions answered on Saturday (and then some) - trust me.

Thanks Ed .. some reason lately I have been interested in Entomology so I'm gonna have to start reading that board

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Thanks foxy .. any other patterns I should be aware of?

Nothing specific that I can think of other than the nymphs I already told you about. I just looked at the revised forecast and it looks like the Lehigh Valley could get some rain Friday PM. If she gets muddy (which I doubt will happen based on the amounts I saw) streamers should be in hand.

Stagger, if you do not yet own it, the Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches, by Charles Meck and Paul Weamer, has been a good resource for me. Online, at Orvis stores, etc. $17-$21 depending.

The Curtis Creek Manifesto - $9.95 at Barnes & Noble, is also excellent and one page does describe and illustrate the various stages. Note: It's a comic book style book, but I plan on getting more copies, since it's laid out veryt IMO. I wrote a more in depth review in the Video and Book forum. This book covers evertyhing a fly fishing in only 40+ pages. This allows the reader to choose which areas to research in more detail.

I will not make it tomorrow I have to work unless I hit lottery tonight tell and work goodbye and then I be there .

PJHarrington wrote:
I will not make it tomorrow I have to work unless I hit lottery tonight tell and work goodbye and then I be there .

Sorry to hear it. Keep your eye on the board as we will have more Newbie events in the future. Hope to see you at one of those events.

Storms last night helped a little but another round just like those again today could put us where we want to be. Dance H-A, dance!!!!!!

Latest Update:

DJS (Dave) - Grill and hot sausage/rolls
Dave's Brother - Aardvark
Fox (George) - water, trash bags and Box of Joe (I hope)
Volksnurse (JT) - Soda with cooler and ice
Stag (Andrew) - burgers and rolls
GRP (Garrett) - Chips and condiments
Chaz (Chaz) - grill and meat plus his vast FF knowledge
Martin (Jeff) - Hot dogs/rolls and potato salad
Better Martin (Carolyn) - homemade Choc Chip Cookies
DD (Dan) - baked beans
CathG ( Cathy) - plates, napkins, plasticware and side tables
Olyphant Lacky - Tentative
ADucker (Jeff) - shrimp (my hero)
SBecker (Shane) - Desserts
McFinn (Derrick) - corn on the cob and fixin's
H-A (Ed) - Pretzels and junk
JoesyWales (Mark) - Venison and pineapple stuffing
OldLefty (Dave) - Tentative
WildTigerTrout (Ed) - Donuts
PoconoPaul (Paul, I assume) - Tentative
Don Douple - Watermelon
Dave - Fly Shop Owner (our guest)

Invitiation is still open to anyone. Join us and just bring along something you think would be picnic worthy but let us know so that we make sure to have enough food for everyone. I show 22
possible attendees above so far, please make sure to let me know if I missed you. A couple of others have asked about it so that number may go up or down.

Good luck with lottery, PJ. Win big, and hire a band to play "Take This Job & Shove It" when you quit. I'd LOVE to do that!

Checked the stream flow, and the weather forecast. We might just hit perfect fishing conditions for the second weekend in a row!

I'm off for the rest of the weekend, so I'll be at the fly shop at zero-dark-thirty tomorrow. I have a bet with the Foxmeister on who gets there first. Loser has to park next to Volksnurse. :cool:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Storms last night helped a little but another round just like those again today could put us where we want to be. Dance H-A, dance!!!!!!

Latest Update:

DD (Dan) - baked beans
OldLefty (Dave) - Tentative
PoconoPaul (Paul, I assume) - Tentative
Don Douple - Watermelon

Fox - you still have me as Tentative.... I am coming for sure, and bringing cupcakes/desserts/et al.

My apologies Paul. :oops: I's trying, I swear!

Latest Update:

DD (Dan) - baked beans
OldLefty (Dave) - Experience!!
PoconoPaul (Paul) - Cupcakes and other desserts
Don Douple - Watermelon

Invitiation is still open to anyone. Join us and just bring along something you think would be picnic worthy but let us know so that we make sure to have enough food for everyone. I show 22
possible attendees above so far, please make sure to let me know if I missed you. A couple of others have asked about it so that number may go up or down.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Based on the posts and lack of PM's, I'm guessing we have more coffee drinkers than not, so I'll get 2.

Your guess that most are coffee drinkers is probably very accurate. I am sure a few will need a jolt, or jumpstart, present company included. I'll have serious cobwebs come Saturday AM - and the more coffee, the better.

Foxgap239 wrote:
My apologies Paul. :oops: I's trying, I swear!

No worries, happens to everybody from time to time, when organizing events, and keeping track of everything.

I'm off for the rest of the weekend, so I'll be at the fly shop at zero-dark-thirty tomorrow. I have a bet with the Foxmeister on who gets there first. Loser has to park next to Volksnurse.

Sweet....I'm glad you can fish this time. I was hoping on not fishing but now that you and Fox are I won't feel so guilty getting my line wet either. Maybe I can be a judge and bust some balls. I can't wait till Saturday.

Do you think 24 hotdogs and rolls will be enough?

Back