Jim Thorpe Suggestions?

Does anyone know some good viewpoints for the Lehigh Gorge?

I know about the one on Hickory Run State Park land, which has a terrific view up towards where Black (Hayes) Creek comes in.

Online I saw some great photos taken from some high point that show the river taking a big loop in the gorge, but they didn't give the location.

TB - there is a lookout point above Jim Thorpe called Flagstaff Park. A road goes there, and we drove up. Nice view of the town and the lower part of the gorge.

And that trail that goes up Glen Onoko apparently - from what I've heard anyway - gives nice views of the gorge.
If I ever get back there, I'm gonna try to hike - and maybe even fish it - again.

There's a train that runs from Jim Thorpe every weekend...
http://www.lgsry.com

Last I heard the trail along Glen Onoko is closed and Believe fishing is no longer an option on Glen Onoko. There have too many accidents and rescues over the years.

Does anyone know some good viewpoints for the Lehigh Gorge?

I know about the one on Hickory Run State Park land, which has a terrific view up towards where Black (Hayes) Creek comes in.

Online I saw some great photos taken from some high point that show the river taking a big loop in the gorge, but they didn't give the location.

I know where this is and how to get there if you are still interested 10 years later, haha

Yes, I'm still interested, and others may be also.

Tank Hollow Vista, its in Carbon County on state gameland 141. Use All Trails app and download a map. Only because the hike starts on a dirt access road from the parking area but eventually you have to hang a right onto the trail but its not really marked or wasnt when i was there.

Its a cool hike that wont take long, but understand its not a secret. Try it during the week if you can for max solidarity would be my advice. Its a state gameland also so beware of hunting seasons, orange, etc depending when you go. PM me interested in more info.

Oh, also, i went when there were leaves on the trees still, i bet its way cooler in winter and have always wanted to get back when there are no leaves

FWIW -
Since my initial post on here - 10 years ago - I did get back to Jim Thorpe a few years later.
And hiked up Glen Onoko Trail.

It was in the fall, is so I didn't fish
But did observe some nice brookies that were in spawning mode.

I hiked the loop from the top of Glen Onoko Run, and came across another nice gorge overlook somewhere up there
Then came back down to the parking lot on another trail.

More recent posts on this have indicated that that trail is closed now

FWIW -
Since my initial post on here - 10 years ago - I did get back to Jim Thorpe a few years later.
And hiked up Glen Onoko Trail.

It was in the fall, is so I didn't fish
But did observe some nice brookies that were in spawning mode.

I hiked the loop from the top of Glen Onoko Run, and came across another nice gorge overlook somewhere up there
Then came back down to the parking lot on another trail.

More recent posts on this have indicated that that trail is closed now

I always wanted to hike that but never made it before they closed it...

I hiked that trail several times before it was closed. It is not really that dangerous except for those people who like to get a hero Instagram photo on the top of the waterfall. I hiked a waterfall trail in the Catskills where a teen fell to his death doing the same thing the day before we went. Sad, but is a picture really worth your life?

You can hike past the old hotel ruins on the west side of the bridge, and that trail will take you up to the top of the Glenn Onoko falls trail. There is a great view of the river valley from up there. Interesting ruins too.

Back