Newbie Brush-up Day - June 22

Had a blast today thanks everyone! Foxgap helped me get my first ever fish on a fly. I then proceeded to miss many more on my own. Can't wait for the fish n chips next month.

Great day was had by all or at least I hope it was. Thanks to all those who helped the newbies and to all the newbies that were more than willing to accept our advice.

I really enjoyed meeting and remeeting guys and gals. Once again CathyG showed the guys how to fish!

I had a good time seeing everyone and meeting some new people.
Caught 4 browns on a #20 parachute trico down near the covered bridge.
I have some pictures from the get together, if someone wants to post them pm me your email address. I don't know how to post pictures.

Thanks Jeff for the pics of the event.

Weather was great and fish were rising pretty steadily to Tricos.

Attachments

• phpBaF7odPM.jpg
    phpBaF7odPM.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 6
  • phpF2yaHYPM.jpg
    phpF2yaHYPM.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 3
  • phpgJhKtOPM.jpg
    phpgJhKtOPM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 4
  • phpkPRGJ8PM.jpg
    phpkPRGJ8PM.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 5
Had a great time minus the 4 hour drive back home in the traffic. Great meeting everyone there.

Though inwws only at the jam for a little bit, it was awesome to meet who I met, then the real adventure started, from posted land to pcray, and I comentating a conversation between a land owner and swattie ( swattie wss pick from looking th best dressed to represent us). Though at least 60% of the conversation was conducted through diy sign language, I was almost in tears pat n I were laughing so hard.

Then on to the next stream, and it was epic! Wild brookies everywhere, I landed somewhere between 12-15, long line released just as many, and well missed strikes, well yeah way too many.

First pool we got to swattie said cast a floater in there, and there it was finally mh first ever caught trout! Wild and beautiful, then the fishing was on thr e of us leap frogging pools, pc and swattie pulling fish out evertime I looked at them.

All and all an epic day for sure! Pcray, and swattie I owe you guys thanks for a phenominal opportunity, to fish with two great people!!!

First stream did not have access? Funny I ran into a guy tonight who actually brought that stream up to me and told me he goes in right where I told you guys to. He said there are some really big fish down there. Glad you guys are alive. Was afraid I would have to call the cops.

Today was definitely a good time.

There were enough experienced guys there to ensure the newbies got plenty of individual attention, and the results were impressive!

Watching guys that were receiving help at newbie events not long ago actually pitching in and helping other newbies was cool to see.

A complete newbie to flyfishing was amazed to see how our group worked to help each other, and having a great time doing so. That's who we are here on PAFF.

Special thanks to the experienced guys that showed up to help today - you guys really showed what a great group of people we have here on the forum.

The adventure continues....... :-D

Sounds fantastic. Glad you all had a good time and turned some new anglers onto small stream fishing. Good job!

Funny I ran into a guy tonight who actually brought that stream up to me and told me he goes in right where I told you guys to.

It was pretty clear. First, the housing development is a private community and no non residents are supposed to even drive on the roads. When you get to the gate, there are 2 no trespassing signs, 1 keep out sign, 1 no fishing sign, 1 no hunting sign, and a beware of dog sign. I'd say the guy gets his point across. And the neighbor that Swattie talked to said the dude works at the courthouse, so probably not best guy to push the envelope on.

Anyway, I didn't get to fish a "new" stream, but I did get to fish a good one that I hadn't fished since last year. We don't go anywhere without a Plan B, and this is why. The fishing was very good, got a noob into his very first trout, followed by getting him into double digits. I had a great time. I'd say between the 3 of us we were probably in 70-80 numbers territory, if not more, with some nicer sized ones mixed in.

Bugs. A few sulphurs, a LOT of stoneflies, and oh yeah, cicada's in large numbers!!!!. I saw some natural rises all day long. Some of the bigger fish we caught were bulging with lumpy bellies, they're definitely eating just fine. I assume that's cicadas. And though I had an imitation on me, I didn't even tie it on. What I had on worked just fine. :)

Pics will follow whenever I get around to it.

* I do not know any of your screen names so-. Bob thank you for the invite and info. Gentlemen and Kathy - I sincerely appreciate the welcome and the help you offered. Nicest bunch of people I have met in at a fishing seminar.

Ed I thought of a few things to say about the the string and all but really you were a wonderful instructor. Patient and very helpful with my gear.

I practiced the rest of the day and will today too. Really excited to finally be doing it.

I'll get there :)

Thank you again!

Welcome to paflyfish, Freshwatergirl !

I think you'll like it here - lots of really nice people, and they like to help each other out.

It was nice to see that you got quality help from your local fly shop. Bill is a good guy to deal with.

We're here for ya whenever you have questions. Good luck on your journey - you've got a great attitude, and a determination to learn. I have no doubt you'll get good at this game.

Don't over-do the practice sessions. Try to limit yourself to 20 or 30 minutes a day. Your cast improved light years in just a short time. If you have problems with getting "wristy", just put one of those plastic wrist bands on, and hook it over the back of the reel seat.

Here's a short list of people that you met, and their forum names:

Bob = SNJChef
George = Foxgap239
Cathy = CathyG
Keith = KeithS
Ed = Heritage Angler

If there's anyone else that you'd like to put a name to a face, just let me know. Hope you can make the July 27th Fish and Chips event!

H.A.

I kust say I wish I could have stuck around the jam longer, but my next adventure was totally worth it. And again the few I met foxgap, volkenurse, cathy it was super awesome to meet you, and I regrt not meeting the rest.

Oh yeah jeff and shane you guys gotta be a blast to fish with. Though shane I donno about your spot locating. Though it did give us(pat n i) one hell of a laugh!

Pics:

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/pcray1231/slideshow/6-22-2013

Great pics! Looks like you guys had a blast.

Wish I could have stayed longer and went to lunch, had to prep for the fishing trip with my daughter softball team. We had 12 girls 5 dads and 2 very exhausted mates on the water today.

Just pulling 2 pics out of that string to comment on.

1st pic - many fish had huge, lumpy bellies like this. Cicada's?

2nd pic - next lesson for newbies is how to make an 8" fish look like a Great White, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0307 (500x375).jpg
    IMG_0307 (500x375).jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0302 (500x375).jpg
    IMG_0302 (500x375).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 4
Always great to see you guys. Now, i just have to get and fish with you all more.

Got their later and missed what sounds like could've been a very memorable day for Stags but that will happen sooner then later.

Saw Cathy, and met KeithS (I believe), DayMan and the phishhead (phriendWMD). Shot the shinola for a lil and headed with JT downstream for a few hrs .... fish weren't really active from 1:30 on. Had the day & left shortly after JT to do some WW fishing closer to home. Got 2 SMB and a bunch of sunnies ... beautiful day to be on the H20.

Hope to make it for the entire day @ the F-N-chips to see everyone

I played the anti social bit and didn't introduce myself to anyone ha. Glad all had a great time though. Met up with my buddy and had a good day exploring the LL regardless, haven't fished there in years. We worked mostly downstream from the big bridge and even competed with the spin fisherman for a bit.

Trout were quite picky in the morning, tried just about every dry fly I had and only got about 3 hits. Switched over to a olive bugger and hooked into some monsters finally but didn't bring anything to hand.

I was the goofball with like 5 kayaks in the back of the truck ha.

Anywho, I'll try and make the fish and chips as that event sounds like a great time. Thanks for putting on such an event even though I didn't chat with anyone.

Back