July/August trout - what central PA streams stay cold?

S

Slatyfork

Hi everybody, somewhat new to the area. Have really only fished Penns. I really like to hopper fish in late summer at daybreak, but Penns is too warm. Any recommendations on central PA rivers that stay cold? Larger streams if possible. (Not really into brook trout fishing.) Thanks.

Pretty tough and there aren't many options. The lower end of Spring Creek stays cool and I'd presume Spruce Creek, maybe Logan Branch, maybe parts of the Little J (the portion with a large influx of spring water), etc.. I lived there in my younger years, but there are surely other guys on the forum with more information about those fisheries than I have.

Bigger streams that stay reliably cold enough to fish are few and far between in Pa. Certain sections of penns may stay cooler than others, spring, the Little J and Big Fishing Creek may all be fishable depending on recent weather and precip patterns. In South central pa, the letort, big spring and parts of yellow breeches may be fishable as well depending on weather

Back