How many hunters here?

i come from a family of hunters so ill take a stab.jack is half right on this one :-D while it is easy (with the arguement that albatross gave) to see where collisions would be reduced by reduced deer pops, we have to take into account where the deer are harvested. if a large deer herd was in a highly populated area yes.....there would be more collisions as opposed to being on dirt roads where nobody lives. we have to take into account where the deer are harvested and where people drive. unfortunatly u will never be able to satisy jack because im sure the is no scientific evedince to this fact. with all that said i can tell u are a lawyer jack. u need evidence and data. try to remember that a persons opinion is just that. i beleive things that are not supported by scientific data. its just my opinion and it is subjective.
not everything is black and white. theres alot of gray out there :-D

Grey is that area I know as speculation which is exactly what I suggested about the theory that hunting reduces deer-vehicle collisions. I don't mind people having opinions-- I have a million of them-- but being satisfied with an opinion about a matter of fact when you might learn the truth is just willful blindness.

shipnfish2006 wrote:
I do see Jacks view on this in some degrees. I don't think hunting will ever kill enough deer to satisfy the forestry and auto insurance industry, its a hobby and some nonhunters feel there needs to be a justification other than just the enjoyment of the sport and being able to harvest your own meal.

Just to clarify my stance, as I am unsure if you are implicating me with the comment about non-hunters, but I don't feel that anyone needs to justify hunting. My first reply on this issue was that I "don't care who shoots animals." I just commented that I don't think there is hard evidence that hunting reduced deer-vehicle collisions, and FarmerDave ask me if I was serious as if such a doubt was so outrageous that he had to make sure I wasn't joking before he laughed me off the message board.

I fish because I like to. I kill a trout now and then by accident. I have never lost sleep over it. I don't have to pretend I'm serving society in some way to feel comfortable about my hobby.

that was a well said statement jack. i just wanted to be sure that even without evidence u respect a person opinion.
im starting to understand u a little better.
slumpbuster the same goes for u.........to tell him to go pitch his peta bs is just as wrong.
now my opinion is the deer populations are lower than they once were. i remember as a kid(when i hunted) that potter county was littered with deer in the gamelands. in the parking lot u would see lisence plates from all kinds of states. now all i hear is complaining about no deer. its hard to calculate though. everyone complains about less deer, yet everyday (and i mean EACH TIME) im on the stream i see deer prints in the sand next to the water. i dunno but i can tell you this..........the deer are out there (even if in low numbers) an collisions will always happen. :-D

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
im starting to understand u a little better.

I am a simple man with a complex character. Even I don't understand me, so good luck with that. :cool:

Sorry Jack I wasn't directing the nonhunter comment at you. I was just referring in a generalization to some people I know who always ask me why I hunt since its so "cruel".

As I said, I wasn't sure and didn't want to be misunderstood. Cruelty would be shooting an animal to maim it for no good reason. Putting an animal to death even solely for sport doesn't confront my sensibilities as being "cruel" though it might be considered wasteful.

Just a few comments.

First off, one or two people commented on there being less deer now than there once were. That might be true in short term, but the truth is there are far more deer in PA than there was before Europeans arrived and started cutting down the forests.

Jack, It is impossible to cover everything in one or two messages.

Your question number 1. Does hunting ultimately reduce deer populations?
Whitetail were virtually exterpated from PA in the early 20th century by over hunting and had to be reintroduced from Michigan. You can't get any more ultimate than exterpation. Therefore, The answer to your question has to be yes

Seriously, the populations can and has been managed at lower than capacity in rural areas. As long as it is managed properly, and this proper management is continued ultimately, then the population can ultimately be reduced through hunting. Urban and Suburban areas are another story, but even that "can" be done, but not safely with current methods. But snares do work ... or so I have heard. :-D

Believe it or not, I agree with most of the information you provided. However, Mr Putnam was very selective in his facts to support his agenda. I even mentioned a couple of his facts myself. Reproduction rates will decrease as populations approach maximum sustainability. It is also fact that when the herd is smaller and healthier, many of the yearlings (fawns) do get pregnant and reproduce. They have been proven, and I have no problem with his facts. What I do have a problem with is the stuff he left out and the way he used his facts. In other words, he used his facts selectively to support his agenda.

Here is the thing. Deer will eventually regulate their own numbers (as the man said). However, what he does not state is they will regulate their numbers for maximum sustainability. Humans are the only "Animals" known to be able to control their population at levels below maximum sustainability, and even that is debatable. The reason the herd is so much larger now than it was before white man isn’t because of hunting, and it isn’t because of the elimination of large predators. It is because white man has changed the land in such a way that PA can now support a huge amount more deer than it could before. The increase in “natural” mortality he mentioned is mainly starvation and disease. Diseases in a way are predators. Groups like PETA are for the most part in favor of this “natural” mortality over hunting. An “overpopulation” of deer will eat themselves and other animals out of house and home. I used quotes because the definition varies between individuals. Only then will this “natural” mortality take over. DCNR has done studies on the damage deer can cause to forests. They can impede the regeneration of forests which does help control their numbers, but also reduces all the wildlife. I watched a DCNR film on this last year, and the difference is dramatic. Believe it or not, it can even effect trout fishing in localized areas. Now, in those areas that Mr. Putnam mentioned, take a look at the health of the forests. They sure do look pretty to the average city person, but look closer. You will find that all the vegetation in the forests are stripped bare as far up as the deer can reach. They actually look neatly pruned. It is that way around most of the state parks, too. Once they strip the food from the forest, the deer end up having to rely on farm land, and that really is not natural. Deer are browsers, not grazers. Once you have this, the deer are already in trouble. They have lots of food spring trough fall because of the farm land supplement, but what happens once the fields are cut? What happens, is you get large numbers of deer die off from starvation if the winter is the least bit harsh. I have seen hundreds of deer in a single field in February trying to scratch up a little stubble because there is no buds or saplings left in the forests for them to sustain. You will also have them in back yards eating landscaping. They are especially fond of Mt. Laurel, and Rhododendron because they are natural food source, but they will also eat other landscaping. They even ate holly, and rose bushes in my back yard in aurora. You will also find them dead in the parks in the early spring. About the only thing they won’t eat is daffodils. The first ones to die off are the yearlings. The yearling bucks are especially hard hit. Also, the bucks are hard hit because they have lost most of their fat reserves during the rut. Like I said, when I was a kid, I used to see 50 or 60 deer opening day, but very few bucks. It was caused in large part to the bucks not making it through the winter because of larger populations.

I noticed Mr. Putnam used relatively small areas for his examples. I think what was going on there is the population was decreased initially causing a growth spurt in the forest vegetation. This does not take long at all. There is even noticeable recovery in a single growing season. The herd got smaller and healthier and reproduction rates increased. Things are no longer in balance at that point. Populations will go up, and eventually will decline to fit the food supply. In those cases, hunting can cause more harm than good if not managed properly.

Speaking of balance, you will notice that in my earlier stuff I mentioned that the population would explode, but would eventually collapse. I’ll add that it will then explode again and collapse again, and so on. If you charted it, it would look like a dampened sine wave eventually leveling off at higher population that we have now. They certainly will not be as healty. With less food in the woods, these deer will also spend more time along the roads where there still is food, and salt. More deer, and more of them along the roads? You do the math.

Hunting can both increase the size of a deer herd, and it can also decrease the size of a deer herd if managed properly. Here is the kicker. In more developed areas, it is virtually impossible to control the populations by hunting, because you simply cannot kill enough of them safely with hunting alone. So, I agree that hunting in urban areas is ineffective. But in most of PA, it is. The deer herds are healthier, and the forests are healthier.

It is the job of the Game Commission to manage the herd at a level that is somewhat lower than the maximum carrying capacity of the land. If you could put all the deer into confined areas (like Mr. Putnam’s examples), away from people and farms where they could regulate themselves without supplemental feeding, then we wouldn’t need hunting. Since we can’t…

Now this Sasquatch thing. I guess I missed that discussion. I think several of the sightings were actually Tim Murphy. :lol:

FarmerDave, I think you mistook Mr. Putnam's input for that of the advocacy group. Putnam wrote a book, the group used his conclusion to serve their agenda. Nothing I saw showed Putnam to have an agenda. The examples of the parks were from the advocacy group not Putman. I offered those anecdotes to counter your anecdotal evidence offered previously and tried to preface them to make that clear, but I guess not. I don't think those were his "studies." And, I agree that if hunting for deer were managed precisely the effect of reducing the herd could be achieved. If I understood what I read, this would require the removal of proportionally more doe than buck and also tactics that encourage the elimination of more recently sexually matured individual deer, male and female, compared to older deer. The only issue I have contested is the proposition that hunting reduces the deer-vehicle collision rates and despite your superior understanding of herd dynamics, I still don't think my doubts about that are laughable. You are right that auto insurance companies would have a strong interest in this issue and the only thing I found that was close to an industry report suggested that studies on hunting as a tactic to reduce DVCs were lacking.

I hunt. I think hunting is one management tool for reducing deer pops, which in turn reduces collisions with deer. I, myself, can't understand how this could be disputed. I don't hunt for that reason, but I believe the PGC uses hunting as a deer pop management tool.

I believe the following PGC article explains this well.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/deer/pdf/deer_management_strategy.pdf

John

Interesting discussion. You could write a book on it. Deer Wars

I wonder if anything other than speculation would lead one to believe that deer/vehicle collisions are reduced by hunting.

Posted on: Today 11:51:51

I didn't say it Jack, you did, if there were less deer, there were fewer deer/human conflicts. Simple as that. You are right, it was an isolated time, but it was however, a time of less deer and consequently less deer/human conflicts. I know, there were fewer cars, so I guess we could talk about that, but you can't deny the fact that fewer deer/ human conflicts existed.

Maybe if there where less cars and the idiots that drive them on the road, there would be more deer? :-D
JH

guttrap wrote:
I wonder if anything other than speculation would lead one to believe that deer/vehicle collisions are reduced by hunting.

Posted on: Today 11:51:51

I didn't say it Jack, you did, if there were less deer, there were fewer deer/human conflicts. Simple as that. ....

There is no need to tell me what I said. I haven't equivocated on my position. You should also have quoted my response to albatross where I said that lower deer populations intuitively would lead to the conclusion that there would be less DVCs. But the point that involves speculation is whether hunting is an effective control on deer populations. Certainly there is evidence that overharvest, such as you suggest in the time of the Great Depression can temporarily depress populations, but "hunting" is not the same as "near-extirpation." The information I shared showed that limited harvest such as occurs with hunting can actually increase deer populations. Particularly where most hunters desire to take larger animals and prefer the buck to the doe. Hunters complain about there not being enough deer, then want to claim their activities reduce the populations. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. DVCs are highest during hunting season. Some of this can be explained by the timing of hunting season being a time when deer are on the move. But many learned individuals believe it is because with so may hunters in the woods, the deer are disturbed and moving about unnaturally. So if there is any validity to this latter explanation, how can one claim that hunting reduces DVCs?

I am not threatening your sport and I couldn't care less why you enjoy hunting or if you do. However, claiming that you're doing me or anyone else a favor by hunting is so far lacking in solid support, as far as my limited research shows.

JackM wrote:
FarmerDave, I think you mistook Mr. Putnam's input for that of the advocacy group. Putnam wrote a book, the group used his conclusion to serve their agenda. Nothing I saw showed Putnam to have an agenda. The examples of the parks were from the advocacy group not Putman.

Jack, it was late for me (I get up at 3), and I probably just misread that part. I apologize to Mr. Putnam if he read that. It doesn't really matter, because I already agreed with Putnams facts. The Game Commision uses much of the same information in their explanation for using hunting as a management tool.

The point is, deer can and will regulate their own populations. But since we have a whole lot more impact than just hunting, it becomes much harder for the deer to accomplish this. What you would have is lots of starvation every winter, billions of dollars in damage to agriculture, disease, etc. If you take away all or at least most human impact on their environment, it would certainly be less chaotic, but we can’t really do that without removing humans. I’ll try to explain a little further, but I’m not a writer or a biologist.

Here is a brief summary. The population would initially explode because of the other impacts that we have on their environment. You would have the same birth rates we have now because there is plenty of food from human impact. The result would be large die-offs in late winter from starvation and disease, and the cycle would continue the next year. PETA is OK with this. Not only that, but it is the bucks that would suffer most, meaning the reproduction rates would not decline all that much. There would still be plenty of food Spring through fall meaning healthy does. The result would be the average deer herd of PA would increase dramatically and with huge fluctuations.

The greatest determining factor for the health of a deer herd is diet. More food means higher reproduction, Less food means lower reproduction. They don't have the intelligence to decide not to breed as much during hard times. The reproduction rate is purely physical, not mental. It is as simple as that. It’s the same with most animals. In somewhat confined areas with minimal human impact (agriculture, etc), the population will eventually become more stable, but at maximum capacity.

But here is the wild card. Since white man has arrived, the terrain has changed. Instead of the entire state being covered by mostly stable but smaller food supply (unbroken mature mostly conifer forests which have relatively low biodiversity), we now have broken forests and fields which have a much greater and variable food supply. The forests are almost all secondary growth now which has higher biomass for the herbivores. Then you have the forest edges which support even greater biomass. Then you have agriculture which adds even more food, but for only part of the year. The agriculture part is a huge variable (and there are others). The young are born in the spring, and all the deer have plenty of food all summer (for the most part) leading up to breeding season, so you have high birth rates. But the fields are harvested in the fall, taking away a large part of what they fed on all summer leaving only forests and back yards. So, what you have is a large reproduction rate even though the forests cannot sustain it during the winter. The result is starvation and disease if the population were left unchecked. The bucks suffer the most leaving lots of does to reproduce. So, in areas where deer are overpopulated, you will still have healthy does in the fall breeding seasin because of the summer feed, but a shortage of bucks. Deer are not monogamous. Some bucks will survive, so the does will get impregnated. One buck can mate with dozens of does. Does go into estrous, and if they don’t get impregnated, it doesn’t end there. The does will continue to go into estrous each month until they get impregnated. I’ve personally seen 2 or 3 month old spotted fawns in February. I almost hit one with my car a mile from my house in the burbs where hunting was prohibited. They weren’t born 6 months early, they were born 6 months late because the does were bred 6 months late. If it weren’t for the mild winter, they wouldn’t have survived.

And I mentioned this before, but I’ll say it again. A side effect of over-browsed forests is the deer have to go to where the food is, which includes right of ways, including road right of ways. More contact with automobiles. Why do you think there are so many lying dead along I-80 and the pike.

The reason for managing the population is not just to reduce accidents. It is to reduce human/deer conflict which also includes impact to farm land, etc.

Like I said, things are different in areas where the herds are somewhat confined and in areas that are not impacted heavily by current human activity (farming, etc.) which is the case with at least some of the examples provided. So, what they are saying is true, but they are cherry picking. In most of the state, the herd must be managed to reduce human/deer conflict which includes accidents as well as damage to agriculture, etc, (I couldn’t care less about the suburban landscaping, but that is another one). Of course another reason for managing the herd is to provide a quality hunting experience, but each person’s definition of a quality hunting experience is different. It is a balancing act.

And the Game commission does set their regulations to harvest more does than bucks.

I think I supported my side fairly well. I did use some personal experience, but only to support fact that is out there. Although I did not provide explicit sources for these facts, there are sources out there. US Forestry, DCNR, Game Commission, Penn State deer farm... Feel free to dispute any of it with fact. Ask PETA. They might argue that this chaos in deer populations resulting from other human impact is acceptable, but they cannot prove any of it wrong with facts.

P.S. Of course you know I was just pulling your chain in the earlier responses, but I really wasn’t sure if you were serious. I didn’t know you had already sipped the PETA cool-aid. ;-)

By the way Jack, I think there are plenty of deer. However, one could argue that hunting does control the population and still complain that the game commission is reducing it too far. I may not agree with it, but it is sound reasoning.

I first hunted when I was 32 hunted for a few years and every three years or so still take my father in law's gun for a walk. But if someone asked my I'd say no I don;t hunt. Do I have anything negative to say about hunting? No.

Review of some DVC abatement methods:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/symposia/economics/schwabeHR.pdf

Some "proof", a lot more conjecture....

All I'll say is that its trial by jury, it doesn't matter what the truth is only the perception of the truth. My suburbanite friends think I'm saving their flowers and cars when I hunt deer in the burbs, and that is all that really maters. This perception has caused several Cleveland area suburbs to open up to archery hunting again. I also produce something tangable from my hunting efforts....meat and sometimes a wall decoration. If I have to hear my mother in law tell me again she can't understand why I go fishing so often, yet don't bring home any fish for dinner.....I'll loose the rest of my hair.

If the ODNR says they are managing deer populations at 65-80% capacity, then I assume hunting has something to do with the other 20-35%.

flyfishermanj wrote:
Maybe if there where less cars and the idiots that drive them on the road, there would be more deer? :-D
JH

Precisely FFJ....you should be on the governors advisory council. :lol:

Just to clear something up, Jack.

JackM wrote:

... I don't feel that anyone needs to justify hunting.

Changine the wording slightly, I would completely agree that we shouldn't have to justify hunting. We shouldn't have to justify fishing, either. However, hunters (and anglers) are being forced more and more to defend this sport. Hunting is definitely under attack. the attack may be small right now, but it has been slowly increasing over the years. Therefore, I can't find fault for anyone who defends the sport.

Here are a few things I think we can agree on.

1. Reducing the herd would indeed reduce the numbers of human/deer interactions including auto accidents.

2. A deer herd can be managed for larger herds. This is the argument that you presented earlier. and I would go so far to say that for a long time, that was the goal.

3. A deer herd can be managed for smaller numbers. This has been historically proven by the near exterpation of the herd. OK, there wasn't much management back then, but a management program could be inacted that would have the same results by drastically increasing harvest limits and allowing the sale of the meat. Take South Carolina for instance. Although you can't sell the meat, their deer seasons start in August, and run through much of winter. They have several seasons. In some seasons, dogs are permitted for hunting deer. This is a very effective method of hunting. Deer will make a circle when chased, just like a rabbit, only bigger. I can't prove this with a scientific study, but i assure you it is true. Some of the seasons, you can use semi-automatic weapons. I doubt that increases the number fo deer killed, but who knows. In most of the state, the limit is 2 per day and 10 for the year. In some areas it is 2 per day and unlimited for the year (other than limited by the nmber of days). That is the way it used to be as recently as the 90s and is probably still that way. Pennsylvania sells over a million licenses each year. Could you imagine what would happen to the herd in PA if such laws were inacted.

4. It is true that as the herd is reduced below capacity, reproduction rates go up, and "naural" mortality goes down (less die from health problems). However, there is a limit to how high they will go. They won't be crapping them out like puppies.

You had asked if the number of DV accidents can be reduced through hunting. To me, Can the number of deer be reduced from hunting is the same question. It is very clear that hunting can reduce the deer population if hunting is managed for that. All that has to be done is harvest more deer than can be reporduced. Once the herd is reduced, it can be maintained by keeping the total death rate about equal to the reproduction rate.

I feel that one does not have to be a deer biologist to come up with this. It is simple math. Take out more than you put in, and the result is less. You can prove that with a jar and a handful of marbles.

Back