Fishing goals for 2022

New additional goal.....fish the hell out of the 8' Orvis 99 I acquired yesterday from Bob Selb (unaffiliated promo, if you've never done business with Mr. Selb, he's a peach of a guy, even gave me a tip on a fishing spot).

The weather and drought are my concerns. I want to see weather good enough to making a trip West. I'm looking to get better at fishing my soft hackles. Last season, I learned to fish them upstream, and there's a technique to it I haven't yet mastered. But I got hip to how deadly that approach can be.

I got a 10 ft. Euro nymph outfit. I've cobbled together a leader rig based on stuff I've learned on-line that I'll find out if works. (There are oodles of them). I'm using the drop-shot style, not the pure Euro, super-heavy nymph rig. It's a good approach for the Center County streams, but not quite so much for up here in the NW. I'll see how it goes with steelhead when the ice moves out. But I can still fish with bobbers on Oil Creek.

It is a long recovery, but if he indeed has a tear, I'd advise getting the procedure done. PT isn't a good replacement for surgery. Not getting it taken care of PROPERLY will only come back to haunt him. I promise that.
I'm on the fence. My ortho at Rothman has said that about 50% of his rotator cases are about pain management. My strength is still there and my range of motion is getting better with PT but it will come down to whether the "day after" pain is something I can live with. If I choose surgery he is saying he will need 5 arthroscopic entry points to sew it all back together. Good luck to everyone with shoulder issues !!

2022 for me includes: Traveling to Seattle late this month with stops to fish the Paradise Valley spring creeks for two days (weather permitting), Touring the Simms factory in Bozeman, meeting friend in Seattle for 3 guided days fishing steelhead on the Hoh River (On the Olympic Peninsula, Hoh still has a healthy returning population of Steelhead) and trout fishing on the Yakima. Hopefully finally getting back to PA to witness and fish the Green Drake hatch on Penns Creek (I have not made it back to PA for over 20 years). And continuing to hike my home creeks in Southwest WI Driftless. And continue to plan more bucket trips while still having the health to do so. Have great season everyone!

I'm on the fence. My ortho at Rothman has said that about 50% of his rotator cases are about pain management. My strength is still there and my range of motion is getting better with PT but it will come down to whether the "day after" pain is something I can live with. If I choose surgery he is saying he will need 5 arthroscopic entry points to sew it all back together. Good luck to everyone with shoulder issues !!
not an expert here, but I understand that spey style casting may be easier on those of us with shoulder issues. Mine are still working pretty good with light trout tackle, but I plan to start using a trout spey more often this year. Good luck on your recovery.

Back