Fishing goals for 2022

Also, take the boat out as much as possible.

Just go fishing more. I sit here in the dead of winter, thinking 'why didn't i go fishing every chance I had?"

Also have to figure out that flyfishing for bass thing i started last year. I feel stupid that I ignored mid summer and fall bass fishing for most of my life when trout season was mostly over. Sigh....

My goals are to continue to learn how to effectively fly fish and to explore new waters in PA and MD.

1. Fish More
2. Meet New People that fish
3. Perfect Stream side coffee making
4. Hopefully get the wife out on the water a few times

2022 Goals:
  1. Get my 6 year old onto his first wild brown on a dry fly all by himself.
  2. Take my wife onto the water more often and get more fish to the net for her.
  3. Fine tune my euro setup and fishing style.
  4. Do a better job with documenting my catches. Managed a great 18-20" wild brown, but never got a good pic or video this past summer.
  5. Explore 5+ new pieces of water throughout the state.
Get my 6 year old onto his first wild brown on a dry fly all by himself
Quite an ambitious number of goals for 2022. At six years old I was I was just learning to read let alone knowing how to hold a fly rod, cast and hook anything. Good luck.

At 72, my main goal is to be healthy enough to fish regularly.

(Glad I'm not coaching anything any more. I remember what that did to some of my fishing. I hope you, Ryan, do enjoy the coaching and help the kids to have fun playing.)

My goal is always to fish more than I did the year before. Also like to fish new water as well with all the streams in PA there is so much to explore.

2022 Goals:
  1. Get my 6 year old onto his first wild brown on a dry fly all by himself.
  2. Take my wife onto the water more often and get more fish to the net for her.
  3. Fine tune my euro setup and fishing style.
  4. Do a better job with documenting my catches. Managed a great 18-20" wild brown, but never got a good pic or video this past summer.
  5. Explore 5+ new pieces of water throughout the state.
Trout_Man_Dan :

Get the kid a fly rod or a tenkara . I started both my sons around that age with fly rods and they are now both pretty good fishermen for being 13 and 17. The fly rod has way less moving parts than a spinning rod. Moving parts + Kid = A Tangled Mess ! I just had them cast a fixed length of line and nymph to start.

Our camp is close to one of the CHILDREN / DISABLED FISHING AREA streams and i took the kids there quite often. The state and the local sportsmans club stock the crick. They are great places to teach kids to fish and muck around. They once hit a march brown hatch on this stream and my youngest just caught fish after fish on a a dry and pissed his older brother off. They both progressed to steelhead, salmon and fishing trips with the derlicts I associate with. :) Also, I give credit to good friends helping me teach them. I do have another long term goal where they pay for a banging Montana float trip week for all of us.

Redington makes a youth rod called the minnow that is perfect for this silliness. The first generation of the line is actually a gem of a rod and I fish it several times a year. https://www.redington.com/fly-fishi...MImrWmpY2r9QIVCIbICh2yEg5REAAYASAAEgKJv_D_BwE

Hopefully you have one of these near you - https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/children.html or a pond with giant bluegill

My goal is to get back on the water and learn more about trout. My fishing had dropped to near zero for 2 years leading up to spinal surgery a year ago. It was a slow but successful recovery and I am itching to get out again.

My main goal is to avoid serious falls. I tore my rotator cuff in several places back last June (while fishing) and was unable to fish again until October, I'm sure I'll catch plenty of fish as long as I pay a little more attention to safety.

My main goal is to avoid serious falls. I tore my rotator cuff in several places back last June (while fishing) and was unable to fish again until October, I'm sure I'll catch plenty of fish as long as I pay a little more attention to safety.
I hear that! Glad you healed up! I tore (complete) my rotator a few years ago, very slow mend. Strict/dedicated PT made the difference in healing properly. I'm now VERY careful on steep hills/embankments.

I hear that! Glad you healed up! I tore (complete) my rotator a few years ago, very slow mend. Strict/dedicated PT made the difference in healing properly. I'm now VERY careful on steep hills/embankments.
I'm still in PT. Fortunately, I could already cast with either hand, and the shoulder doesn't preclude side arm casting.

Lefty Kreh said that he was often asked why he was called "Lefty" when he cast right handed. Answer: torn rotator cuff from flipping a mattress.

I'm still in PT. Fortunately, I could already cast with either hand, and the shoulder doesn't preclude side arm casting.

Lefty Kreh said that he was often asked why he was called "Lefty" when he cast right handed. Answer: torn rotator cuff from flipping a mattress.
When all was said and done, it took a full 9 months before I was 100%. Now, I'd never know it even happened.

You would think having a job in the field would let you fish more.... well I've barely fished since opening the shop 2 years ago. So I plan on fishing more and having a few employees in the shop now will help that.

I also have some plans to knock a musky on the fly off the list this Spring.
Also I want a big striper on the fly and to do more warm water fishing this summer. Smallies, carp, pike, etc.

Teach more people to fish and continue to find joy in others enjoying this sport.

Fish more, work less.

I just bought a house 10-15 minutes away from lower Penns, I'm want to figure out how to catch smallies from my canoe near there. And get better at single-handed spey stuff. And time the Hendricksons perfectly, here and in the Catskills.

Catch a big a$$ carp on the fly. Big a## carp on the fly = 30+ pounder. Stay tuned!

I did the same thing almost at the same time ! Hope your feeling better. I'm still doing PT to try to avoid surgery. Good luck !

I did the same thing almost at the same time ! Hope your feeling better. I'm still doing PT to try to avoid surgery. Good luck !
Thanks. I pretty much had to have the surgery -- one of the tears was over 2 inches long, and some tendon got rearranged. My last day of PT was today.

If you can avoid the surgery, do so. It's a long recovery.

Thanks. I pretty much had to have the surgery -- one of the tears was over 2 inches long, and some tendon got rearranged. My last day of PT was today.

If you can avoid the surgery, do so. It's a long recovery.
It is a long recovery, but if he indeed has a tear, I'd advise getting the procedure done. PT isn't a good replacement for surgery. Not getting it taken care of PROPERLY will only come back to haunt him. I promise that.

Back