FFing With Your Hood Up And Hat On (When It’s Not Raining)

Based on this thread, my revised fishing goals this year are to get an electric bike for blue-lining, a stocker locker for my Discovery (after I get the Discovery), and finally to learn to fish mop flies on a tenkara rod.

Those yoga tights guys out west like Devin Olsen use to wet wade in shorts look sexy AF too. In the muggy buggy humidity of PA, they might make a fine place for mosquito breeding and should dry out in two-three weeks on the clothes line?

I can’t fish without a hat on, I’m just not comfortable so I fish like crap (as opposed to when I have a hat on and fish like crap cause I suck :)).

Can’t fish with a hood up, drives me crazy with my peripheral vision limited as well as my hearing. Even in the rain I try to gut it out without putting the hood up (dumb is as dumb does)

I always use sunscreen and lately have taken to wearing a fedora instead of a ball cap for a little extra sun protection. If I fished in FL or out west I’d probably learn to like a buff.

Where else is the best place than on your head to keep a fly and bug swatter. ;)

Flyfishing styles and gear have changed some over the last 40 yrs or so. When I started getting serious in early 1980s I was wearing Orvis Green Mountain waders which were quite nice. They were a soft rubber. (I had way less problems with them than some of the current breathable modern types.) I wore them for a number of years. This was when we very first started venturing to Penns Creek etc. Fantastic times. My brother made us wading staffs from bamboo he cut somewhere. At some point my brother started wearing a funny looking cowboy type hat. Our rain gear was lousy and we were often wet and miserable coming back to the car and then to our tent campsites. I never got into the cigar thing but several of our group did. Over the years I would be on a trip somewhere and would pick up some of the newer accessories. Usually it would be something on a fly shop clearance rack. I have to say some of the shirts and clothing are very nice. The modern style shirts by Orvis and Simms are great. I am pretty much head to toe Simms now with my very nice rain jacket being my most recent purchase. Fly fishing ,as much as I like it to be as simple as possible, does involve having a few essential pieces of gear and it sure is great having quality stuff. When I started I just did not have money for a lot of the better gear. So now I figure I can afford it and it has made fishing that much more enjoyable. There's way more available today than even back when I started. I still fish my original first decent reel an old Orvis clicker that I bought back in those days. I sometimes think about upgrading but then I think about the memories and all the fish I got on it.

Last edited:
Been fly fishing for 58 years and better clothing and sunscreens have really helped. I remember being cold and wet most of the time and suffering from sunburns. In cold weather it was jeans with old school cotton long underwear - which didn't work at all when wet or damp. Never wore a hat until that fateful year when the top of my head sun burned. My summer long sleeved "sun shirts" were my old dress shirts that were too worn to be in public which did little to protect from the sun. Better underlayers, breathable waders, wicking sun shirts, buffs, better rain gear, and sun screens that work and stay on really have made my fishing more comfortable. I'm not going back.

BTW, used to try an old school wool fedora once in a while for the nostalgia, but never stuck with it. Now it's baseball caps or wide brim hats.

Not a pair of chest waders in sight!!
Nor chest packs, sling packs, lanyards etc. No pictures of fish while balancing the rod on the back of the neck either. Although someone had to have one of those old glass lined thermos’s. The kind that when you dropped them, they had that distinctive rattle! 😳

Not a pair of chest waders in sight!!

And no DeYoung buffs either. 😃

Image0

Obviously, the concept of conservation came much later. As did wearing waders and buffs.

Image1

About the right # of fishermen, too!

Cool video, CRB!

Reactions: CRB
Nor chest packs, sling packs, lanyards etc. No pictures of fish while balancing the rod on the back of the neck either. Although someone had to have one of those old glass lined thermos’s. The kind that when you dropped them, they had that distinctive rattle! 😳

Did y'all notice the guy salting and loading the trout in a milk can around the 4:22 mark?

The forerunner of a Yeti fish cooler perhaps? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: CRB
I like the guys that put the rod in their mouth for their hero shots. HAha.

Back