FFing With Your Hood Up And Hat On (When It’s Not Raining)

all im saying is when i go fishing, i dress for the weather thats ahead of me. i didnt know fly fishing had a dress code. apparently it does. i didnt know a hat and hoodie would offend so many people lol. i think everyone in this country needs to start minding their own business and stop judging every single thing another person does. if you like orivs. great. if you like simms. great. who cares!? i wish i had the time to sit around and think of these things!
Dear Kyle,

To quote the esteemed Sergeant Hulka, "Lighten up Francis." We are just messing around here. If anyone who posted on this thread thinks they are the arbitrator of fly-fishing apparel, I'd never get along with them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Board,

Swattie won the interwebs today. This thread was fun!

Regards,

I’m glad I started this thread.

Can you tell no one is fishing today?

Just wait until next week when the Polar Vortex pays a visit.

As far as fashion on the stream, I say do what makes you happy! :)

A hoodie is just a trendy babushka.
I put a kielbasa and a couple pierogis in my hood in the morning, then about 11 have lunch and then pull up the hoodie

Dear Mike,

I hope you know I wasn't calling you out. Just more like messing with you based on all the old pictures you have posted over the years where you wore rubber waders.

For the record, I enjoy the smell of cigar smoke, and pipe smoke for that matter, while on stream. I just don't smoke either cigars or pipes because for me they ruin the taste of food for a week! ;)

This has been a fun thread!

Regards,

We used to always smoke cigars on our trips. Then a couple years ago I ended up getting sick from chewing on the thing while fishing. It was like the first time you tried to chew tobacco. I haven't had a cigar since. And the 4th member of our Penns Creek crew died of lung cancer a couple years ago. It does make you think. Now I'm not to the points of my brother (Riverwhy) who has air purifiers in every room, gives me daily updates on the best air quality days for running, and is pushing to end all campfires. Sorry to call you out.:)

If you really want protection from the sun, from insects, or from any law enforcement officers who may be on your trail, wear a matching buff under your hat and hoody.

View attachment 1641233876
My cousin sent me pictures from a Florida trip like this. Since I didn't have his name in my phone, it took me a couple years to figure out it was him. I think it's just damn creepy.

For decades I've gone out of my way to NOT look the part...

I use no vest or purpose made fly fishing gear storage item and nothing I use is adorned with any fishing related logo. Most of my gear is black because I use military style PALS/MOLLE gear to carry stuff and I don't like OD or Coyote Brown.

I use a Richardson, also black that was once mistaken for a concertina. I have considered sporting a tam o' shanter to reinforce the concertina misidentification but I don't want to start a fad with the hipsters.

I wear a blank ball cap with no logo and flip up sunglasses attached that me look like a fat old retired cop that plays softball on weekends.

I also wet wade in long pants 90% of the time which I guess makes me look like an incontinent fat old retired cop that plays softball on weekends.

I smoke cigars only to annoy people, insects and wild animals. As I have only had one long distance bear encounter in my life, never found the need for insect repellent and nobody talks to me when I fish they must be effective...

Or they just naturally avoid people who resemble incontinent fat old retired cops that play softball on weekends.

BTW - I'd like to add lanyards to the list. ;)

What the heck is 1) a Richardson that doesn't look fly fishing, 2) concertina and 3) tam o Shanter? Are these old guy or flat brim terms. I love a lanyard it’s all I carry most times Along with a couple small fly boxes in my shirt pockets.

wouldn't be a proper list without tenkara and green weenie.

Anyone wear one of these while fly fishing?

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 9
wouldn't be a proper list without tenkara and green weenie.
I'll agree with the tenkara, but putting the Green Weenie on that list just ain't right! :D

I've had the Green Weenie turn slow days into productive days on more than one occasion. ;)

i weigh 125 lbs (give or take a few), i get cold even in summer, i always have my hat/beanie and hood on.

I'll agree with the tenkara, but putting the Green Weenie on that list just ain't right! :D

I've had the Green Weenie turn slow days into productive days on more than one occasion. ;)
I like a fly that can be tied in 30 seconds and consistently catches fish. Weenie till I die!

Back