FFing With Your Hood Up And Hat On (When It’s Not Raining)

Yes it looks cool.

And... For me, it's because I had mohs procedure on my neck and and lip (so far) to remove basal cell carcinoma, so don't judge me until you turn 50....

A fishing life is hard on the skin and maybe these young hipsters are just more aware of that than I was. I spent so many days on the beaches and bays with nary a sunscreen as a youth, and then I landscaped my way through college, and fished a A LOT...

I am frankly glad for the hoodies because those wide brim hats are not for me.
Come to think of it, you were rocking a hood when I met you at my folks farm last October for the rained out WW jam..... But maybe that was because it was 45° and raining......

Totally man. I was just going to say, all the valid reasons in the world can't undo the fact that it's definitely common amongst the younger fly fishing bros.
So lets keep a list for you guys...

Flat brims
Toyata Tacomas
euro anything
now hoodies
rod lockers (wait that's mine)

I know the list is longer than that. What am I missing 😁

Everybody is so sun woke these days! Damn 54 year old hipster :)

Oh I didn't know about the Tacoma thing! I also didn't know about the rod lockers. I'm learning.

Hoodies are fine. It's the combo hoodie/flat brim hat w/ the hood up in all weather conditions.

I like a ball cap but my wife keeps telling me you'll go bald wearing it .

I’m glad I started this thread.

Can you tell no one is fishing today?
I was thinking the same thing. Wind would blow my hoodie off, anyway.

I’m glad I started this thread.

Can you tell no one is fishing today?
Dear Swattie,

Given all the advances in all sorts of technology over the 50 years I've been fly fishing I have to ask, is anyone still rocking the chest high rubber Red Ball waders?

Patiently waiting for Mike K to say yes!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

never even thought about this topic. i wear a ball cap most of the time. and if im cold ill throw my hoodie up over it. i had no idea i was trying to be cool. i just did it because i was cold....head scratch...

i guess next time ill leave my hoodie down and stay cold. i dont want other people fishing to think im trying to be cool..another head scratch

Dear Swattie,

Given all the advances in all sorts of technology over the 50 years I've been fly fishing I have to ask, is anyone still rocking the chest high rubber Red Ball waders?

Patiently waiting for Mike K to say yes!

Regards,

Sorry to disappoint. I believe I only ever had Red Ball (back in the 1970’s) waders once at work and never any of my own.

But I do want to know whether the apparent cigar fad within the fly fishing community has passed.

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint. I believe I only ever had Red Ball (back in the 1970’s) waders once at work and never any of my own.

But I do want to know whether the apparent cigar fad within the fly fishing community has passed.
Dear Mike,

I hope you know I wasn't calling you out. Just more like messing with you based on all the old pictures you have posted over the years where you wore rubber waders.

For the record, I enjoy the smell of cigar smoke, and pipe smoke for that matter, while on stream. I just don't smoke either cigars or pipes because for me they ruin the taste of food for a week! ;)

This has been a fun thread!

Regards,

Back