2014 Steelhead JAM - 7-9 November

I have a room there, I also think Gulf Greyhound and friend are also staying there

I have no idea about vacancies, but I have also been satisfied with these accommodations:

Sunset Motel 814-922-3550
Riviera Motel 814-838-1997
Green Roof Inn 814-774-7072

Jack are those all in fairview ?

JackM wrote:
I have no idea about vacancies, but I have also been satisfied with these accommodations:

Sunset Motel 814-922-3550
Riviera Motel 814-838-1997
Green Roof Inn 814-774-7072

No, Sunset is far west near the Ohio border, Riviera is near Peninsula Drive and Greenroof is probably closest to Follies. None of them are more than about 20 minutes away from Follies if memory serves me.

DanL wrote:
Quality Inn & Suites
6467 Sterrettania Road
Fairview, PA, US, 16415

$64.00 for Saturday night, if you pre-pay as part of Choice Hotels membership (free to signup) (no refunds...)

I stayed here last year, as did a number of others.

Book'em DanL!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Wondering what are the 10 - 15 go to flies.... The must haves, The can't live with outs ?
I know eggs and stoneflys but, what else?

In the fall, that would be wooly buggers and various zonker patterns (leech) in various colors. bead head or not.
Sucker spawn in various colors,
Various single and a few double egg patterns.
Various nymphs including stone fly, prince, PT, HE, and various variations of the last two. Many with bead head and I also like bead chain with some flash.

I would guess all of the above in various hook sizes. Kind of hard to gauge it they sell every size and call them all steelhead flies. Confusing for a newb. Oi

Sorry,

All you gotta do is ask.

For the buggers and leech patterns, I usually go with about a size 10 long shaft, but have gone larger ... and smaller. Larger one I tie for bass, but overall length is often about the same (shaft not as long).

For me, I tie the nymphs and various egg patterns on size 14, 16 and occasionally 12. In that order. In the late winter I usually go smaller. the little black stoneflies seem to be about a size 16.

Favorite sucker spawn is a natural cream colored angora yarn with a bright red thread, but I will also do orange, pink, white.

A lot of these guys also use crystal flash to make various patterns as well.

But I am no expert and not all that good at tying. Hopefully someone else will speak up, but maybe you will get better responses from the general or beginner forums versus the event forum.

J last year there was a steelhead fly thread in the tying forum, you may have to dig to find it but it's there. I'll see if I can find it and give it a bump.

J found the thread and bumped it in the tying section

Try not to get all wrapped up in the "steelhead flies" thing. They're trout. Most of your normal trout flies will catch fish.

I use lots of beadhead buggers(usually white), usually in size 10, and a bunch of other small streamers that imitate emerald shiners and other baitfish. As mentioned eggs work great, and generic nymphs like hares ears, caddis, PTs, etc. work well too.

Good stuff in the thread pro4mance just bumped...

Thanks for all the info. guys it all helps.

I meant to ask before,but how long does the steelhead run last? Doc might not let me go for the early Nov. 7-9th. Again sorry for all the questions.

It generally tapers out as you get into April, but some years even the beginning of May can be half decent!

Ohio is better than PA in the Spring imo.....but there's still feesh in PA.

streamerguy wrote:
It generally tapers out as you get into April, but some years even the beginning of May can be half decent!

Ohio is better than PA in the Spring imo.....but there's still feesh in PA.

Wait a second. There aren't any steelhead in Ohio. Everybody knows that.

I'm joking V. I agree with Streamerguy.

The big runs in Ohio start later because they stock a different strain of steelhead. It starts late fall and progresses through winter. PA stocks what could be best described as mutts.

The early runs in Ohio are mostly strays from PA (IMO).

IMO, PA does have a better approach. PA catches returning fish to produce next years stock. But I think they are predominantly fall spawners so the peak is late fall. But some do stick around into April, even May some years. Some could be strays from Ohio as well. Can you blame them? But PA stocks way more fish.

And don't apologize for asking questions. Most people on here were not born with a fly rod in their hand, and enjoy helping others.

They will run and stick around in the streams until the stream water temps warm into the high 60's. I have seen them in the tribs into July in the spring holes.

So we are about a month away, looks like turnout may be pretty good

TimRobinson
DanL Saturday
Pro4mance
GulfGreyhound & friend
FarmerDave Saturday
ryguyfi Saturday
mario66pens
bikerfish
Night_Stalker
JVenezia
mic ?