Greenwood Lake

B

Billr

I did look and there are some past posts on this. I grew up near Greenwood and my wife and I go up at least once a summer to swim. Cold water. Has anyone caught trout there? And shouldn't this lake be filled with holdover fish since it stays so cold? I've fly fished a couple of times with no luck. Talked to maybe half a dozen faith fishers yesterday and none had caught a trout.

I haven’t fished Greenwood Lake since 1964 with the Boy Scouts on a frozen lake. Caught a nice chain pickerel.
I live in New Jersey but rarely fish freshwater there.

What Greenwood Lake? The only one that I can think of that meets most of your description is the state park in Huntingdon County, PA. Is that where you mean?

If it is, I wouldn't waste time trout fishing there. The water does stay cold, though. I was actually swimming there just last week, and the water in the swimming area DIDN'T feel cold. That doesn't happen, often.

I do believe trout could easily hold over there, though.

What Greenwood Lake? The only one that I can think of that meets most of your description is the state park in Huntingdon County, PA. Is that where you mean?

If it is, I wouldn't waste time trout fishing there. The water does stay cold, though. I was actually swimming there just last week, and the water in the swimming area DIDN'T feel cold. That doesn't happen, often.

I do believe trout could easily hold over there, though.
I believe that he is speaking of the Greenwood Lake that straddles the NJ/NY border.

I believe that he is speaking of the Greenwood Lake that straddles the NJ/NY border.
Yeah, never heard of it. Thanks for clueing me in. I couldn't tell from the post what exactly he was talking about. Now I am going to look up that Greenwood Lake and learn about it.

I didn't look to see if they stocked em here, but trout aren't even on this. Maybe that means any trout caught is harvestable? 🤔 With or without trout here, go fishing. Walleye, bass, pickerel, go get em!!!

This is one of the reasons we kindly ask for the county in the Reports section.

Greenwood Lake In NY/NJ (Passiac County NJ) is a cool.water fishery. It is currently managed for warm and cool water fish, Bass (touraments) and has developed into a excellent Muskie fishery. The downriver impoundment is Monksville Resevoir (NJ record Muskie) is deeper and colder and is a more viable holdover trout fishery. Has Walleyes too. Greenwood lake does have holdover trout but has become more euthrophiic over the years and is not managed for trout. Many years ago it was a destination lake with notable sportsmen fishing there including Babe Ruth.
It is still.a good fishing lake but with a lot of boat activity.

Last edited:
Back