2014 Steelhead JAM - 7-9 November

Avonia tavern for "dinner".

Night- 7wt or anything +or- 1wt will serve you fine. I will have terminal tackle with me but we adjust on the fly.

Just like other fishing it is the O4P's of fly fishing.

Observation-sighting fish or potential lies
Positioning- both where you stand and how you get there
And then finally, as Bobby Clouser puts it- presentation presentation presentation.

This is the bane of many new steelheaders but with a few experienced folks (and a couple brews) it all comes together.

Gonna be a great time boys

It's dinor for some reason. They seem to spell it that way in the area. Not to be nit picky but always struck me funny.

I noticed that before, but never paid much attention to that. Apparently I am not as easily amused, but I bet something like that would drive Maurice, nuts.

Anyway I googled Dinor and found this. It's kind of funny.

link

Well FD, if Yinz in OHOHO would be learned n'at maybe the Keyeohoho stream n'at woodnot catch fire n'at. Said the Jeysey guy.

Foreigners! Ya'll don't geet it. Diner:pronounsticated dinor. GG

pro4mance wrote:
Well FD, if Yinz in OHOHO would be learned n'at maybe the Keyeohoho stream n'at woodnot catch fire n'at. Said the Jeysey guy.

What do you mean. It hasn't caught fire in over 4 years now! Besides, I am not from Ahia, I just live there for now, you mupear!

OK, it's over 40 year. But why are you dissing it. It only caught fire 13 times over the years and the Clean Water act was a direct result of the last one.

You should be thanking the Ohesians for that.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Foreigners! Ya'll don't geet it. Diner:pronounsticated dinor. GG

Said the mupear...

The building is pronounced diner. The person who eats at the building is pronounced dinor and he may be ordering feesh.

And in that context if git, not geet. But thanks for not saying "yins."

Or were you referencing the phrase "Jeet yet?" and don't call me a Jew in your response. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Back on topic boys.

I will be leading an exploratory group the weekend before. Anyone is welcomed to join us. If youre from sepa drop me a line and we will see if we can git hooked up.

Folks its not far off and with the trends the magic 8 ball says all signs point to good. If you have ever considered steelheading now is your chance. We got an allstar cast waiting to show the ropes and film ya when you hook the biggin.

Goona be a great time and will be sure to bring some amish lovin. Whoopee pie and tight lines for all. Lets get a rough tally to start and we will build from there. Anyone in contact with erie ultimate angler? We should show them some love. Maybe at least buy some 4CU swag off them.

Stand up and be proud, say I lunk and and im proud. Im in and cant wait.

I might be able to come up for one day that weekend to show you guys some of PatrickC's secret spots.;-)

I'm joking on the last part. There are no secrets.

Definitely can't come up on that Friday though, but as the time approaches, remind me again. As I said, it's less than an hour for me to the west side tribs. I never fished the east side.

I have never fish for steelhead,but always wanted to.I am wondering where this jam is being held, I would love to come fish with you guys.

Is body armor/helmet needed?

No body armor or helmets needed, patience at times maybe, and a couple beers.
Mic, it's held up in Erie and the meeting place is at Folly's End Campground. Go thru this thread to see a bunch of info, there is also a steelhead thread in the general forum

Well it looks like I will attend this year but only for the day on Saturday. Looking forward to it already.

gangs all here.

night-stalker- we know places to go where the only defense you need is a reel that holds enough backing.

And split shot. LOTS of split shot. If you ain't foul hookin, you ain't fesshin!!! :-D

TimRobinsin wrote:
gangs all here.

night-stalker- we know places to go where the only defense you need is a reel that holds enough backing.

For a second there I thought you were going to say the only defense you need is a good offense.

Backing?

I have never needed it with steelhead in the PA tribs. The PA tribs are just not that large.

The only reason I have it on my reel is to increase the spool diameter.

I don't think I have even seen the backing while fighting a steelhead. OK, once maybe but it wasn't on a PA trib, but a much larger stream. Even then, I simply walked after it once it got into the downstream current and close to the backing.

That said, better to have it and not need it, than the altermative.

^ Yeah, don't expect to see your backing. Still have enough though just in case..

Out of all the steelhead I caught only one took me into my backing, but that was because the stream was pretty high and it was dangerous to cross the stream in areas, so I wasn't able to effectively chase the fish downstream. If the stream had a normal flow there wouldn't have been any issues.

Now from what I hear backing is a necessity when fishing off the surf...

Could someone PM me where everyone will be staying ? I know the morning meet up spot at follies. This will be my first steel head run and would like to enjoy it with the group. I have seen the post on general gear to bring but, any extra suggestions are also welcomed.

Quality Inn & Suites
6467 Sterrettania Road
Fairview, PA, US, 16415

$64.00 for Saturday night, if you pre-pay as part of Choice Hotels membership (free to signup) (no refunds...)

I stayed here last year, as did a number of others.

Back