2014 Steelhead JAM - 7-9 November

Are there any old posts that suggest how to prep for such an event. I have never been steelheading or up to the great lakes.

I am certain that this would blow my mind...and then I would progress to losing my job, house, family and friends. Start living stream side in a tent year round testing my survival skills.

The obvious gear stuff is understood. Specify leader rigs and types of flies to to start making that historically perform well...

GPS or general street address, food strategies, where to stay...etc.?!?

PM would be welcome or post...

THANKS

Night_Stalker wrote:
Are there any old posts that suggest how to prep for such an event. I have never been steelheading or up to the great lakes.

I am certain that this would blow my mind...and then I would progress to losing my job, house, family and friends. Start living stream side in a tent year round testing my survival skills.

The obvious gear stuff is understood. Specify leader rigs and types of flies to to start making that historically perform well...

GPS or general street address, food strategies, where to stay...etc.?!?

PM would be welcome or post...

THANKS

Here is a good post to use as a primer for Erie Steelheading.

Just use the search function, there's a lot of info from past threads and posts for you to read.

Night_Stalker wrote:
THANKS

You'll have a great time Brian - definitely go if you can make it. My first steelhead trip was the 2009 PAFF jam and it really helped me because other folks who knew the area well took me under their wing. Fishing was great that year - 2010, not so much (at least for me and Dkile). If you do a forum search there are extensive threads and pics from those years. Drive time from your neck of the woods would probably be in the range of about 5 and a half hours, maybe a bit less...but it's a haul.

Brian - if you are coming up you can stay with me at the cabin. However I am going to warn you: iSnore

But we will be 5 minutes from follies and right smack dab in the middle of one of the best streams up there.

Biggest things that I go through up there are:

- White wooley buggers
- egg (all colors)
- supersecret hex wetfly
- 4x flouro
- 3x flouro
- 9' 3x mono extruded leaders
- SPRO size 10 power swivels
- shot (you can use any kind you like but lead works best)

- Forceps (this is a joke bc I always drop mine up there)

but that's it. if you're not losing flies, you're not getting in front of the fish. we will also be going up the weekend before if you are interested.

Out at lunch lookin at fluorocarbon...

Thanks for the plethora of info everybody!

Tim...a few shots of tequila makes for a good sound dampener

I'm going to start tying

Made my reservations at the Quality Inn on Sterrettania Rd. I know Art and a couple other people stayed there last year. Just figured I'd put it out there

Oh sure, spot burn the hotel. ;-)

How about a map or address so we know where its happening.

Pavillion for meet-up each morning is here:

Folly's End Campground

8600 Pennsylvania 98, Girard, PA 16417

We'll put up some details closer to the event and make sure any newbies have some people to fish with so they can get some help.

Here's the campground where the pavilion is. We will meet here every morning and plan our attack from there.

http://follysend.com/

The Girard Diner is the usual hang out for dinner.

ryguyfi wrote:

The Girard Diner is the usual hang out for dinner.

Hmmm. I thought it was Avonia Tavern. That explains a lot.

I think it's actually been both now that I think about it. The last few years I've only come up for the day and haven't been able to stay for dinner so I may not be the best reference for that info.

not sure about the girard diner, but most of us have met up at the avonia tavern for food and beers in the evening.

So what you guys usually do is tell Ryan that you meet at the Gerard Diner and then go to Avonia Tavern, or is it you tell me that you are going to Avonia Tavern and then go to Gerard Diner.

That's mean.

or it's all part of the plan to get you to the Girard diner....

While i've never been to the girard diner, i wouldn't hesitate to say the avonia has a better beer selection!!
Dang, this thing will be here before you know it! Maybe ill bring a bamboo along to fish with farmerdave!!

I still haven't fixed my bamboo rod, so I might be using plastic like everyone else.

So I did not get to read much of the past threads yet (all 50+ pages).

• 6, 7, 8 wt rods?
• Floating lines and heavy flies, or go directly to the fastest sinking sink tips?
• I see my self tossing intruders/streamers and eggs that I will make.

I will try to read more over the weekend as I start tying

I fished a 10' 7wt last year and felt it was a big upgrade from a 9' rod. Most of the places you fish won't be very deep so a floating or sinking line won't make much of a difference IMO. This isn't Western steelhead where the streams are very wide and deep and swinging spey flies is the way to go. You can swing flies but it's very different. I do more swinging early in the season and then switch to nymphs and eggs later on in the season.

Always look for fish in moving water. They're active and more willing to take flies. The fish in the stagnant water are resting for their next run upstream.

Always LOOK for fish. There are fish in spots you won't think of and they can hide REALLY well even though they're 6lb+. I've seen people walk right by fish and then I walk up behind them, hook a fish and they are surprised.

Bring lots of flies. All kinds, colors and sizes. When the water is low then small flies are preferred. "perfect" flows are tough to come by but with the right knowledge you can hit it just right and have some of the best fishing you've ever seen.

Keep asking questions and don't miss the JAM. Your learning curve will diminish quickly.

Back