2013 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (aka Newbie Jam) - March 16th

Video for newbies sounds like a great idea.
I would like to make a suggestion,
After you use the video for the newbie jamb can you put the videos on youtube for everyone to watch over and over. Maybe you already planned to do that.

The 23rd works for me also. This is should be a blast.

I'll be there and could maybe help with the tying for beginners part,Or what not to tie lol What do I need to bring?

Foxgap239 wrote:
If you guys will spend a little time working with him, that might be bribe enough. Whereas I think I'm a good teacher with others, I'm too tough on him and I'm pretty sure he can do better with one of you. Just not Dog. If I let him and my kid compare notes, I'm screwed for sure! :pint:

Oh, I SO volunteer for this! I'd never dream about trying to dig up ammunition to bust on da Fox.

Either of those days work for me. Pick one, and I'm there.

I'll have to talk with the folks at the Wildlands Conservancy. I gotta believe they have wifi there - whether they'll allow us to use their access code is another matter. Their office building may be too far away to get the signal though.

Dog - just the thought of one of Fox's epic falls made me LOL. It takes him like 10 minutes to actually hit the ground! It's like low altitude sky diving without a parachute. :lol:

Dewey and Hack (re: your PM) - I think we can get enough table space to have you guys tie. Glad to have you guys pitch in!

The tables will only accomodate like 2 tyers, but we'll set up another one for you guys.

Frank -no way I'd exclude you from this. You are so in!

It's OK for there to be more than 2 instructors at each station. We just can't have too much help, and it'll allow for breaks and instructors to walk around and check other stations out.

1 - Gear Setup (Phish_On, djs12354,+?)
2 - Knot Instruction (guest instructor +?)
3 - Leader Setups (FrequentTyer, FGSIII)
4 - Entomology
5 - Fly Tying for Beginners (Volksnurse, surveyor06,Dewey,Hack)
6 - Fly Casting Instruction (H.A. +?)
7 - Where to Fish (pcray, k-bob, +?)
8 - Wild Brook Trout Fishing (Foxgap239, Delta Dog, k-bob)

No one wants the bugs? (#4) I'd have guessed this station would have been picked right away...

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Dewey and Hack (re: your PM) - I think we can get enough table space to have you guys tie. Glad to have you guys pitch in!

The tables will only accomodate like 2 tyers, but we'll set up another one for you guys.

Gents, we should probably come up with a game plan.....preferably over a beer if possible.

Okay, the 2013 Brookie In-Service Day will be Saturday, February 23rd, weather permitting. I have a centrally located stream in mind and will PM each of you with said stream although all but Bob could probably guess it. My son is checking his schedule to see if he can help us out. If not, my still camera does video and my current card will let me do a little over an hour. If any of you guys have better suited equipment, that would be great. With the experience of this group, I think the newbie's will get a quality presentation that will really impact their learning curve. Oh Bob, make sure to charge the batteries on your Dog tied brookie flies that way they will show up better on camera.

I know I'm a little late getting in on this, but I wanted to make sure I could commit fully before posting. I'll be there for the morning instructional session and through lunch time. Not sure how much of the on-stream stuff I can stay around for as I have a dinner-time commitment that evening.

H.A. - As far as helping out, I'd probably be most knowledgeable on the Brookie piece or stream selection, but it looks like we got some good know how in those areas already. I don't want to deviate from the format if you don't want to, but I'd offer to do a Smallie/WW stream station if you think that would be appropriate and generate some interest...gear, flies, stream selection, techniques, warmwater fish species identification, etc. I spend most of my Summer fishing time in WW streams. Let me know...happy to help elsewhere as needed too.

Hi Swattie - Glad to have you on board.

I really like the idea of a WW station, but I'm not sure we'll have enough tables. I'll put you with pcray, since "Where to Fish" doesn't mean trout only. ;-)

K-bob will be floating amongst three tables, so I believe you'll have some room at pcray's station. He IS a known table hog though. :lol:

If we can swing it, we'll get you your own table...

4 - Entomology
6 - Fly Casting Instruction (H.A. +?)
7 - Where to Fish (pcray, k-bob, Swattie87)

Sounds good, no worries, whatever works. I'll concentrate my prep efforts on more of the WW stream selection stuff since we'll be in good hands with pcray and k-bob on the Trout side. I can rotate around to the gear table too with some of my WW stuff if there's interest (and we are lacking in table space).

Man you guys are doing a brookie video?? Actually I really wish I could help with that, no chance I'll be able to though. Should you guys come back from the stream and find you don't have enough video, feel free to use the brookie video I posted a while ago. I think some parts of that could be pretty helpful to beginners.

And if there are just one or two clips you want, shoot me a pm and I can get you the specific parts instead of you having to skip through the whole thing to find what you want to show.

One other thing, if you are going to be filming with multiple cameras, make sure the files they create are compatible with whatever editing program you want to use.

I am finally going to make one of these! I seem to miss it every year, but this year it is on the calendar. I know I have nothing to offer.....except how to still be a newbie after a few years. I will be roaming with my camera snapping photos though.....I can't wait to meet some of you.

HA,

I find the brookies and finding streams most attractive for me, but if no-one else steps forward, those are awfully well represented by this group and I am willing to take the entemology part. Keep accepting more help, but feel at ease that we could handle all of those topics adequately with the current talent base.

Either way, I'm in for the in-service session. I don't have a dedicated video camera. I do have an "almost SLR" advanced p&S that takes pretty good video, including good sound, image stabilization, and megazoom (up to 80x I believe). If anyone's got a tripod that would make it even better. It's the family camera, so I gotta look after it carefully, and if it's raining or snowing it's not gonna see the light of day.

My little P&S bombproof fishing camera also takes video, but it's much crappier video, scratchy sound, and probably not suitable.

I would be willing to use my DSLR for a video if you guys want. I shoot with a Canon 7d or a Canon 6d (depends on the day). I could throw my Rode Video Mic Pro on top and we could slap together a decent video. I also could put my GoPro Hero2 to use as well

I could also bring some WW gear with me. Rods, Reels, Flies, ect.

PSUFishMenece wrote:

feel free to use the brookie video I posted a while ago. I think some parts of that could be pretty helpful to beginners.

PSU .. if you don't mind can you provide a link to that video?

Much appreciated

Volksnurse wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

Gents, we should probably come up with a game plan.....preferably over a beer if possible.

I like the way you think! :pint:

Gonna see if I can bring a certain tying desk with me.... :-D

Fox - We should be OK with our fishing cameras for the video. They take high def video and are waterproof, so we don't have to worry about the elements. I have a micro tripod that extends to full size too. Guess I'll pick up a spare battery, since that'll be the limiting factor on how much video we can shoot.

I'm sure the "kit" can do a good job with the editing - that's where we'd need the help. A conference call would be cool to get our ducks in a row....

4 - Entomology
6 - Fly Casting Instruction (H.A., krayfish, +?)
7 - Where to Fish (pcray, k-bob, Swattie87)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Fox - A conference call would be cool to get our ducks in a row....

Okay, rather than try to do this online let me get an email string going. I have H-A, Dog and K-bob's email already. Pat, Swattie and thebassman, please PM me your email addresses. We'll use that method to communicate to see what date and time works best for everyone to have that call.

Fox

Stagger, you can find it in the first post of this thread.

Didn't want my face in it so I didn't show anything about approaching these fish, so it's not nearly as useful as it could be, but there are still some parts that you can learn from.

Back