2013 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (aka Newbie Jam) - March 16th

H-A et al: Should I plan on bringing my tackle for the On Stream Instruction or will we be observing only? Either way is great, just want to be prepared.

semperfish wrote:
H-A et al: Should I plan on bringing my tackle for the On Stream Instruction or will we be observing only? Either way is great, just want to be prepared.

Definitely bring your gear.

And don't be like the idiot last year who brought all his gear, including waders, but left his wading boots at home, 75 miles away....... :oops:

At least there is great bank fishing at the Heritage area, so you will still have a chance to fish even if you forget something.

semperfish wrote:

Like hack said - absolutely bring your gear!

I'm gonna use you as an example of what this event, and what the Beginner's Forum and PAFF can do for you.

First, you'll have the opportunity to meet some members of the forum face to face - bright and early at the 8AM meet & greet. Once you meet forum members in person, your forum experience will be forever changed for the better. You'll make new friends and fishing buddies, and enjoy the camaraderie that our members share - these guys are a blast to be around!

Second, you'll have a chance to learn from some seriously good fishermen. They'll share their tips, tricks, and experience with you on a one to one basis. You'll be able to interact with them, and learn in a "hands on" type of environment. Videos, books, and the forum are all a great source for learning, but sometimes it makes a big difference to see things first hand. This event is intended to compliment the Beginner's Forum, not replace it.

Third, you'll have the chance to actually fish with a highly experienced fisherman in the afternoon. I'm gonna assign you to Delta Dog (Dan). Dan is actually a guide on the Susquehanna River, and brings a tremendous amount of knowledge, experience, and teaching skills to the table. He's one of my best friends, and I guarantee you'll have a blast fishing with him, and learn a lot! He's also a Marine, through and through.

When all is said and done, you'll be able to hit up the Beginner's Forum for any questions you may still have, or develop. We'll also have follow up get togethers to further help you refine your skills.

All of this results in a learning opportunity that I feel is unmatched by anything else available. People pay hundreds of dollars for what you'll get for free.

Enjoy!

To the Brookie Film Crew, I now have everyone's email address so look for an email tonight so we can start coming up with a date and time to have our initial call.

surveyor06 & Hack What are you planning on tying ? I'm thinking a maddie wet for me, easy tie and a killer fly, kinda like a hears ear but diffrent. Thoughts?

I'm just wondering which "lucky" newbie will get to hear: "Ooh, Ooh, Ohh" behind him, followed by the sound of Fox diving into the stream to net the fish? :))

Look at Ed pimping me out. :-o

@ H.A.- are you teaming up the 'newbies' with all the instructors for the on stream instructions? If so that's great. I can help with the in stream action also.

delta_dog wrote:
I will do my best to be a good student Mr. Dog Sir :)

Attachments

• student.jpg
    student.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
delta_dog wrote:
Yer gonna look pretty when we bolt the 24 inch rims on ya... :-D

Volksnurse wrote:
delta_dog wrote:
Yer gonna look pretty when we bolt the 24 inch rims on ya... :-D

Let's go retro and get him the wide brimmed hat with big plume on it. :)

God help anyone that gets paired with me. I'll prepare a waiver to release me and PAFF from all liability.

God help anyone that gets paired with me. I'll prepare a waiver to release me and PAFF from all liability.

Just looking at you avatar pic your getting paired up with FOX for sure. lol

krayfish wrote:

You bringing the new fishing buddies?

Phish_On wrote:
@ H.A.- are you teaming up the 'newbies' with all the instructors for the on stream instructions? If so that's great. I can help with the in stream action also.

That's the plan. We'll have a group discussion at 2PM at the tables by the fly shop, then we'll split up and go fishing.

Dog,
met you at the JAM. I'm not a newbie but an "instructor" for a newbie. As for the avatar, I wish I looked that good. LOL

Shane,
it looks like both boys will be coming with their dad. Their dad just told them that we are going to a fly fishing show in March. They started jumping around and giving high 5's. I have a feeling that teaching the nephews fly fishing will cost me a set of tires and brakes. The one is already cranked up to hit the SR for cohos and kings in September. I may have created monsters.

krayfish wrote:
Dog,
met you at the JAM. I'm not a newbie button "instructor" for newbie.

Kray, I think he means I need the help. :roll:

He's big enough to crush me so I'll refrain......for once in my life. Lmao.

I learn him a fancy cast if he tells me where all the smallies are hiding.

H.A. Sounds good

I'm bringing a friend(Gene). He wants to learn to fly fish and I gave him a casting lesson last year but he needs more help than I'm capable of.

Back