2013 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (aka Newbie Jam) - March 16th

Thanks guys, had a nice day. Good to see you all again.

Had a great day. These events are what makes this forum great. Glad all the newbies found it worthwhile.

Only fished for a short time in the afternoon. Lots of bugs, sporadic rises where I was. Lots of fish rising overall, but not in that "steady" sort of way, each fish was in that sporadic, lazy sort of mode. A single fish would rise probably only every 5-10 minutes.

I got dressed and no newbies were nearby and ready to fish, so I hit the stream to scout it out a little, as I'm supposed to be the expert but am totally new to the LL. Nymphed for a few minutes with an egg imitation, figuring freshly stocked bows. No dice. Saw the rises and switched to a dry fly leader and started throwin dries. Just about that time is when Gone Phishin found me. I was here to teach, so I tried to get him in the water. But he wanted to watch me first, so I fished a little as he watched from the bank. Stung a couple, then landed a stockie rainbow. At that point I stopped fishing and coaxed him into the water, and tried to take on the role of teacher the best I could. He did well and not long after, hooked up and landed a wild brown. Then B.S.'d a while with a small crew that had gathered, called it a day and made it home for dinner.

Good job Gone Phishin!!!

I had a great time at the Newbie Jam! I can honestly say I learned more in one day by hang out and talking with everyone then I have in the last year of attempting to learn this sport on my own. A huge thank you to all the "seasoned" instructors that took time to educate us newbies. Thanks Phish_On and Gone Phishin for letting me tag along and absorb your knowledge. Hope to fish with you all again soon.

This would have been perfect for me! I just found this site today since I got my first fly rod and want to take up fly fishing this year. I live In Bethlehem. Are there any other events similar to this planned? I'm sure its a lot of work to put together and there probably won't be one for a while. I need all the help I can get though. I don't really know anyone that fly fishes to get help from. I got some dvd's to go off of for now. Seems like it was a great experience wish I would have got on here earlier!

jhedge wrote:
This would have been perfect for me! I just found this site today since I got my first fly rod and want to take up fly fishing this year. I live In Bethlehem. Are there any other events similar to this planned? I'm sure its a lot of work to put together and there probably won't be one for a while. I need all the help I can get though. I don't really know anyone that fly fishes to get help from. I got some dvd's to go off of for now. Seems like it was a great experience wish I would have got on here earlier!

We will have a "Brush-up" event in April or May on the Little Lehigh and our "Newbie Fish and Chips" in July or August on the LL, as well. The fish and chips is a pot luck picnic event where we teach, fish and eat. Both events will be published here but guys get to the LL quite a bit and you might get to meet up with any of them. They will help you any time, not just at Newbie events.

bstone97 wrote:
I had a great time at the Newbie Jam! I can honestly say I learned more in one day by hang out and talking with everyone then I have in the last year of attempting to learn this sport on my own. A huge thank you to all the "seasoned" instructors that took time to educate us newbies. Thanks Phish_On and Gone Phishin for letting me tag along and absorb your knowledge. Hope to fish with you all again soon.

It was good meeting you man. We'll definitely go fishing again and you can show me some spots around that area. We should be heading to pennsburg for Easter.

Ok great ill definitely keep a look out for the upcoming events. I need all the help I can get :). Which forum should I keep an eye in to hear about the events?
Foxgap239

We will have a "Brush-up" event in April or May on the Little Lehigh and our "Newbie Fish and Chips" in July or August on the LL, as well. The fish and chips is a pot luck picnic event where we teach, fish and eat. Both events will be published here but guys get to the LL quite a bit and you might get to meet up with any of them. They will help you any time, not just at Newbie events.

jhedge wrote:
Which forum should I keep an eye in to hear about the events?

I suggest the Fly Fishing Events and Meet-ups forum.

May is the annual Jamboree. Don't be shy. You will surely get some help if you ask for it.

Good luck with this passion.

jhedge wrote:

Hi jhedge - Welcome to the forum!

You're like 10 minutes away from me, and a stones throw from the Monocacy. The Saucon isn't far either.

I'm usually available on Saturdays - feel free to PM me about getting together. After March 30th, you can fish everywhere around here, but there's still lots of places to hit in the meantime that are open to fish now. I'll surely be out and about the next two Saturdays if you'd like to meet up. It'd be my pleasure to show you around the area streams, and help you get up to speed on things.

H.A.

Ed, you are a peach. And your face is like a flower. A cauliflower.

JackM wrote:
....your face is like a flower. A cauliflower.

Makes shaving a real chore. ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
JackM wrote:
....your face is like a flower. A cauliflower.

Makes shaving a real chore. ;-)

What is this shaving thing you speak of?

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Hi jhedge - Welcome to the forum!

You're like 10 minutes away from me, and a stones throw from the Monocacy. The Saucon isn't far either.

I'm usually available on Saturdays - feel free to PM me about getting together. After March 30th, you can fish everywhere around here, but there's still lots of places to hit in the meantime that are open to fish now. I'll surely be out and about the next two Saturdays if you'd like to meet up. It'd be my pleasure to show you around the area streams, and help you get up to speed on things.

H.A.

That sounds great! Ill shoot you a pm. Thanks!

Some pictures from the Newbie Jam. Thanks again y'all for the great time and your expertise!!!

Attachments

• Fletch Casting In The Snow!!!.jpg
    Fletch Casting In The Snow!!!.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Fletch Thumbs Up.jpg
    Fletch Thumbs Up.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Overpass.jpg
    Overpass.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Fletch Looking Like He Caught Something MONTROUS...just a snag!.jpg
    Fletch Looking Like He Caught Something MONTROUS...just a snag!.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 3
Forgot that I had clicked a few photos. It was really coming down that afternoon! Lots of fish rising but hard to see them due to being snow blind.

Attachments

• newbie jam.JPG
    newbie jam.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 3
  • newbie jam (1).JPG
    newbie jam (1).JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 4
  • newbie jam (2).JPG
    newbie jam (2).JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 5
  • newbie jam (3).JPG
    newbie jam (3).JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 4
  • newbie jam (4).JPG
    newbie jam (4).JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 4
  • newbie jam (5).JPG
    newbie jam (5).JPG
    450.8 KB · Views: 3
Pics #2, 3, and 4, that's Gone_Phishin and I waaaayyyyy in the distance, lol.

Back