york county wild trout streams

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
well sal, its a very big fish......

jack, you bring up a good point about the grip. actually, the trout bum grip is 6 1/2", not 7 1/2".

So, using a bit of algebra, we can revise jack's estimate:

7.5 inches (jack's estimate of grip) 6.5inches (actual grip size)
____________________________ = ______________________
21 inches (jack's fish estimate) x (real fish size)

7.5x = 136.5 inches

x = 18.2 inches

sorry, sal........ :-D

Actually, then I blew the thing up on my screen (set as wallpaper) and here we go, using jack's method:

6.5 inches (grip size) 3.25 inches (grip on screen)
__________________ = _____________________________
x (fish size) 9.75 inches (fish on screen)

3.25x = 63.375

x = 19.5 inches

Upon further review of the blown up picture.....looks like my alignment dot was actually some glare. Leave it to a lawyer to blow a hole in my argument....... :lol:

I know I'm a loser for doing this. Man, I need to go fishing tommorow.......

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:
well sal, its a very big fish......

18.2 inches

sorry, sal........ :-D

Now wait a minute, you forgot:

(Actual length 18.2 inches) +(Actual length 18.2 inches) x (angler's privilege of +15%)= 20.93 inches

(Of course, when you take a picture or someone actually sees the fish in the flesh, the angler's license may not apply.)

Yes, yes, and also the following:

The fish may grow by one inch for every year since it was caught and one inch for every beer consumed.

This series of reports on exursions into York County wild trout streams has been one of the best things I have read on the web. I appreciate your taking the time and effort to share.

As for the dubious critiques, it doesn't take long to figure out which user names to ignore.

I also like to explore for lightly fished streams. When you find a gem, it's like magic, and there isn't much of that left in the world.

Sal

First off, please continue posting, I enjoy your stream reports as a great read, not for locations and tips, but for the reading pleasure.

Maybe others could benefit from location but I'm new to fly fishing and needless to say I suck. I live in Newtown Pa which doesn't have trout stream and I go out when I can just to catch the scenery and the occasional sunnie or rock bass (when I actually make a decent cast that is, which is NOT often).

But to the point, from a novice, please continue to post and as Kendal said after a while you learn to ignore replies from certain names in your post. If you don't like the feed back from the forums but like to write, then start a blog on a some site and post a link. I know I will have a feed to your blog for sure. No reason to let others ruin something you obliviously enjoy doing.

So please keep writing and sharing your experiences with others.

Cheers

P.S. - Anybody know of a good 'instructor' or season veteran that is willing to do lessons (yes, I'm more then willing to pay)

Sal,

Now you have lurkers registering just to convince you to keep on posting. You have FF groupies!!!!! Don’t disappoint your fans…………

For All those who like Sal's photos, and I'm one of those who does. Don't forget to check out the Photo section of this site. He has posted a lot of them there and you can rate them to let him know what you like.
JH

Hi Sal - Just wanted to thank you for the nice pics and the good read. For those of us too busy to fish as much as we'd like, it sure is nice to live vicariously through your lens and keyboard.
A while back, Padraic made a comment that when you post something on the internet, you open yourself up to comment - good and bad. So very true! Take the comments with a grain of salt.
FWIW - I'd fish with you anytime.........Ed :cool:

you 2 (ohio and jack) and ur mathmatical equations. haha! if i get to add an inch for every beer consumed then the fish now measures 40 inches! thats already since last night :-D by the time the weekends over itll be a world record.

wow it is amazing how many people actually do love the stories and the pics! you guys sure are makin it hard to leave.......guess im gonna have to just keep posting! :-D thank you for all your support!

yes magical finding a trout stream like that Kendal. its always what im searching out. as u have enjoyed reading about these explorations in york county .....it has been some of the most enjoyable fishing i have done in a longtime. thank you for your kind words.

90_Min_Imperial_IPA thank you for your appreciation of my work!
keep it up bud......when i started flyfishing, the flies would hit the ground behind me and rip off my tippet. it tooks months for me to even catch a trout on a flyrod. then one day........it just all comes together and it gets easier. though you never stop learning! one thing you could do is go to an orvis endorsed store or another fly shop and ask abot casting testers. these machines wll analize your casting motions and find where you need work. or be like me and teach yourself......this requires u to b patient. but dont quit!

another exploration begins towmorrow....maybe youll just have to hear about it! :-D

The yellow breeches run stretch and below and above for that matter are just not right for wild brooks. clubs put in tons of brooks early season and after a couple weeks they disappear due to catch and keep and i truely believe the water temps get too high and they die off which is sad. i have never caught a brook in the breeches which i would consider wild but definitely no expert mountain creek is another story. I do run across wild browns in the fall and winter though.

s,

Hey guys missed all the "debating" must have been a few pages back when posting excuse the seeming out of place post also its not really about york county streams but caught up in the thread...but to the bickering or whatever it is actually good to have some conflict on a site it makes people think but that did go on for a while.

S,

The run comes into play during the winter for me as it is always fishable and the pressure is much less. Plus its very easy to take a break and get some hot coffee.
As far as wild brookies in PA are concerned, I didnt think we had any. The way it was explained to me is if a brookie is born in a stream that is part of the native brookies range it is a native. These streams are where they come from originally and if you look back their family tree, you have to look all the way back to the start. I was told we'll never have native brownies or native rainbows and we'll never have wild brookies. Because they were always here.
The run is easily cold enough to hold trout year around, more than most streams even with the pond above it. The brookies are succeptable to the hook though and do usually dissappear quickly but theres alot of little trickles that feed the Breeches that have natives in them, most of us just dont know about them yet cause Sals still in York county!

Hey Sal,

I enjoy all the posts you are making, the stories, the pics, and your style.

Keep em coming.....................

John

Squaretail wrote:
As far as wild brookies in PA are concerned, I didnt think we had any. The way it was explained to me is if a brookie is born in a stream that is part of the native brookies range it is a native. These streams are where they come from originally and if you look back their family tree, you have to look all the way back to the start. I was told we'll never have native brownies or native rainbows and we'll never have wild brookies. Because they were always here.

There is really no way to visually tell the difference between a wild brook and a native brook but there is difference. A native brook is one that is streambred from another native. A wild brook is one streambred from a stocked brook. It is possible to have many wild generations and it would still be wild not native. Some streams that have wild brooks never had brook trout untill man stocked it.

There is a few tribs to the breeches that hold native trout. They are very,very small with the exception of Mountain and Old Town. I fish in the breeches about 75yds down up to the mouth of one of them and catch a few from the breeches. I did follow the stream up a bit once and caugt a few but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone, quite tough.

Again, if your going to look back the family tree, you must look all the way back. Were the parents of the stockies that bred in the stream stocked or streambred. If you go back far enough, you will get to native brookies that were removed from a stream and bred in a hatchery.
As far as I know there are no waters in Pa that has natives in them now that did not before stocking began. Possibly a tailwater? The brook trouts native range covers almost the entire state of Pa. What you say does hold sand, Montana will never have native brookies, but not when applied to streams in the native brookies range.
It sounds like we may have fished some of the same tribs. They were a hassle but for whatever reason Sal and Spector are just the type of guys that like to get in there and dig'em out. I would venture to guess merely because no one else does and its about as virgin water as you can find anymore.

You could be right about that. If that is the case then I know where to catch 15in natives. There is a difference between a stocked brook and a native brook. They have been genetically altered by selective breeding. That may be changed now but in the past they would breed the largest and fasting growing fish, altering the fish over a period of time. A tailwater fishery is your best chance to have a wild brook fishery, but I can also see it possible with some of the spring creeks which flow into warm water fisheries. In Maine they have natural reproduction in some lakes and they are classified as wild trout fisheries instead of native. They also claim that some of their rivers and streams are wild populations and not native. It is within their natural range though. www.sportingjournal.com/main78.shtml
As far as yb tribs goes I have caught wild trout out of 6 of them. Most of them have very limited access with plenty of posted signs. I love the streams that are very hard to fish. YB above 34 is the largest water Ive been on this year. Most the streams I fish are small enough to hop over. The reason I wouldn't recomend the trib to people is because I don't think many would enjoy it the same as I do.

The problem I think that is manifesting itself here is that the term native has two common acceptable meanings. The first is a normal meaning, equivalent to "streambred." The second is a specialized meaning used mainly by fisheries people and anglers who want to seem sophisticated and it means "streambred and of long-established residency and culture." The term "wild" encompasses both meanings of "native" but is somehow considered not specific enough for the second meaning.

Jack, would you consider wild browns native?

Under the first and commonly understood definition of "native," yes I would. But not under the second usage. However, in 10,000 years, brown trout will be every bit as native to Pennsylvania as the brookie.

Main Entry: 1na·tive
Pronunciation: 'nA-tiv
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English natif, from Middle French, from Latin nativus, from natus, past participle of nasci to be born -- more at NATION
1 : INBORN, INNATE
2 : belonging to a particular place by birth
3 archaic : closely related
4 : belonging to or associated with one by birth
5 : NATURAL, NORMAL
6 a : grown, produced, or originating in a particular place or in the vicinity : LOCAL b : living or growing naturally in a particular region : INDIGENOUS

I should also (or rather) share the noun form:

Main Entry: 2native
Function: noun
1 : one born or reared in a particular place
2 a : an original or indigenous inhabitant b : something indigenous to a particular locality
3 : a local resident; especially : a person who has always lived in a place as distinguished from a visitor or a temporary resident

Back