WW Jam September 22-24 Juniata River

Thats interesting! Native chain pickerel were numerous in some pa creeks in your lifetime? How long ago and what creeks did they used to be plentiful in?
It was not at all uncommon to catch Chain Pickeral while fishing for trout in the early season in the stocked section of the Big Buffalo Creek in Perry Co. (as I recall that would have been back in the late 70’s - early 80’s).

Thats interesting! Native chain pickerel were numerous in some pa creeks in your lifetime? How long ago and what creeks did they used to be plentiful in?
Shohola Creek had a good population of Chain Pickerel back in the 70's. We caught a lot of them, some good size, on yellow ABU Garcia Reflex spinners.

Due to a pending change in employment, can't commit but likely I'll be up for a day. Looking for a sucker to row me around so I can actually get to fish 🤣

Okay good folks, I am scheduling another WW Jam/Meetup at my family's property on the banks of the Juniata River. I will setup more rain coverage/tents this time. Also, this is the latest into the year that I have ever held the event in the four times that it has happened, but it is really the only time I can seem to fit it in to my schedule. This time on the calendar comes with both positives and negatives. The biggest positives are this: the fishing is usually much improving as cooler weather starts to set in, bigger fish become more active, and they begin putting the serious feedbag on for the upcoming winter. Also, after Labor day the river is much, much less crowded. The downside is the water might be cool enough that you want to wear waders.....but I promise it won't be that cold. Plus, if the big river is a bust there is some reliable BWO hatches on a nearby trout stream that time of year, so bring some trout gear.

Address: 45 Fisher Bee Lane Granville, PA 17029

The details: Arrive any time on Friday that you want, stay until whenever you want on Sunday. There are some nearby hotels if camping isn't your thing, otherwise please feel free to bring your camper/tent. The campsite will be in the same general location as it was in the years past. I will have tents/rain coverage set-up, power ran to the tent, etc. There will be a shower available in the house just like last year and all are welcome to use it. Flush toilets and sinks will also be accessible, and there will most likely still be a port-a-john there for the season as well. I will provide burgers, hot dogs, and chicken thighs and if everyone else wants to chip-in and bring sides and stuff, that would be wonderful. I am sure I will also provide some sort of side dishes as well. Also, please provide your own beverages/drinks of choice.

I think that is pretty much it....I would like to get a head count on those able to attend, so please use this thread as your RSVP. Also, everyone has been great in the past and very respectful, so please lets keep that trend going. It is about sharing stories, ideas, fishing, and just pure relaxation.

Sorry about how late it is in the year, but life is busy this year. The weather should be mild and very comfortable.
Your already nice guy image continues to improve. I hope to make it.

Josh, the grandsons and I are planning to make again this tear

It looks like I can make this one. Just one day, probably Saturday. I plan to bring my flycraft stealth, so I'll have another seat if someone is interested

UPDATE ON WW JAM

THE JAM IS STILL ON, HOWEVER ON FRIDAY I WON'T BE THERE UNTIL 4:00 PM OR SO. I HAD PLANNED TO TAKE THAT FRIDAY OFF BUT I JUST ACCEPTED A TEACHING JOB AT JUNIATA HIGH SO I WON'T BE MISSING A WORK DAY.

I WILL HAVE TENTS AND STUFF SETUP AND PEOPLE CAN STILL SHOW UP EARLY AND FISH OR DO WHATEVER. THE TENT WILL BE CLOSER TO THE OLD WHITE FARMHOUSE BY THE BIG SYCAMORE TREE. THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN THERE CAN SHOW NEWBIES THE ACCESS SPOTS.

I WILL BE THERE DIRECTLY AFTER WORK ON FRIDAY AND START COOKING DINNER AND FISHING. I WILL BE THERE THE REST OF THE WEEKEND AS PLANNED. PLEASE, MAKE YOURSELVES AT HOME AND BE RESPECTFUL.

Dear jifigz,

Congratulations on landing the new gig!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks Fellas. Having never taught in my life and only having two weeks until school starts, we will see how it goes. I think it will be a pleasant challenge.
Best of luck! I am in my 31st year as a history teacher. It will be a challenge with plenty of rewards! What is your position?

Thanks Fellas. Having never taught in my life and only having two weeks until school starts, we will see how it goes. I think it will be a pleasant challenge.
Advice from someone thrown into teaching abruptly at the start of my career 26 years ago. Get an existing lesson plan and materials. In the first year don't be a hero. Stay close to it with only minor tweaks. In the first year focus on learning/getting comfortable with teaching AND managing the classroom. Don't be afraid to ask an experienced colleague to sit in on the class regularly early in the year and get immediate feedback- end of day. This advice helped many junior colleagues transition to the classroom with fewer problems.
Good luck!

I am going to be teaching 9th grade English.

I have visions of a casting lesson coming from an expert fly fisherman.

IMG 3319

Update. Looks like I ran out of vacation hours for my weekend job. I will still try and make it even if I don't get paid time off. First things first is I need to get my car sorted out for inspection. I may also be taking my roommate up as he has a minor interest in fly fishing, although after fishing with me for a few hours he may be even less interested in the sport lol. Fret not, my internet personality is a VERY extreme version of myself.

Planning on at least one day. Thanks Josh and congrats!!

This sounds wonderful. After reading the posts from last year's event I would first, like to thank you for your hospitality. Second, if I can manufacture free time to do this, (and I am sure going to effort this) I am at your service. Let me know if you need any grill or side dish assistance. I will find plenty of time to fish. Count me in.
My son Adam will be joining me. Looking forward to getting him on some bigger water. PM me if there is a particular side you do or do not need. Otherwise we'll wing it

Dear jifigz,

The logistics of this aren't working out for me. I think the best I can do with a family reunion scheduled in Schuylkill County for Noon on Saturday is to try to get up there on Sunday morning. I will make every effort to do it. I'd really like to meet you and some of the other board members I haven't met.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

very nice of jifigz to host this. i hope everyone has a great time, great weather, and plenty of fish caught. enjoy. post pictures for us not attending.

Back