WW Jam September 22-24 Juniata River

I almost came back in the morning, but fishing from 10:30-8 Friday had me dragging and I reconsidered.
3 ofthe 4 larger ones. all tanks
Those fish certainly sounded large in the dark, Joe! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Big thanks to Josh! It was my first jam attendance, and a smaller group, but def a good time.

Hope you guys had some fish on Saturday too. It was good trout day, and I ended up fishing until about 3:30 PM before the lack of sleep from car camping caught up to me and I headed home.

You have my vote for this time of year next year, just no Nor'easter next time....

it was great meeting folks, learning about there backgrounds and sharing knowledge. It was good to fish new water

I had a good time. Josh is a gracious host. The guys there were all new to me and cool to hang with. Incredible area that I have not spent much time in before. The rain and cold were tolerable at the time but man I crashed hard and woke up with sore old bones this morning. In good wx, this is an epic trip. Thanks to all who don't melt in the rain and showed up.

Even brought home a souvenir.
20230924 150329

I will offer my recap of the weekend now....and Tom, how nice of you to take an October Caddis back home to Western PA.

A lot of people bailed out due to the weather, friggin' sissies. Lol, JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING! Honestly, the weather sucked but could have been a lot worse. Saturday we actually had a nice, long break in the rain. I think the highlight of the trip was that I got to meet four new forum members and put faces and names to their internet handles. Even though it was a small group and the weather was lousy, we at least caught fish.

On Friday I didn't fish at all. I arrived there after work and met new people, cooked dinner, talked and ate and just relaxed. It was a nice evening. It really was pretty nice weather on Friday. Definitely the best weather of the weekend. On Saturday we all spent a good amount of time drinking coffee in the morning and debating what to do. DC410 and Nymph-wristed packed up and headed to a trout creek, Tom, Linwood, and myself went to the river. The weather was lousy, but I was able to land about 5 or 6 fish but all were either redbreasts or little smallies. But hey, that ain't no skunking. Another forum member then showed up and joined us the in the river and ripped a few lips. We all then went to a trout creek where I think we all got crushed. I mean, it was horrible fishing. I don't think anyone caught a trout. It was actually disgusting. Nymph-Wristed and DC410 said they caught some fish, so that is good, but I did not share the same success on trout front. After fishing there for a few hours on Saturday we pretty much broke it up and called it.

I really debated canceling the event but I am glad that I didn't. It is always good meeting new people and, all things considered, I still had a good time.

I think all agreed that September was a great time to do it if it weren't for the crappy weather forecast. I think that is when I will try to plan it next year. I am hoping we can get a good turnout and get some of our "regulars" back in attendance. The only regular that managed to make it this year was Linwood (thanks for the Bob's, by the way.)

Anyways, thanks to everyone that came, brought food, and relaxed under the tent. It was good meeting ya'll.

Last edited:
Dear jifigz,

I'm glad to hear that the people who did show enjoyed themselves.

Through no fault of yourself this weekend was literally the perfect storm, where everything that could go wrong to ruin plans did go wrong. I literally had to cancel the reason I cancelled coming to the jam because 2 of the 4 people I was to travel with were sick. What a disaster!

If you do something this same weekend next year, or even another weekend, I will show up. I'm getting too old to miss many more opportunities to meet up with board members.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

A few pics. My one bass on Friday night. DC410 and I never found each other, but I was fortunate enough to find a good number of cooperative trout on Saturday during that break in the rain. That pause Josh mentioned was so long, I considered heading back to the farm around 3 PM, but decided to get a good night of sleep at home instead. SEPA guys are soft, I guess.
20230922_174621-EFFECTS-COLLAGE-COLLAGE.jpg

20230922_192236.jpg

20230923_115624-COLLAGE-COLLAGE.jpg

20230923_140106.jpg

A few pics. My one bass on Friday night. DC410 and I never found each other, but I was fortunate enough to find a good number of cooperative trout on Saturday during that break in the rain. That pause Josh mentioned was so long, I considered heading back to the farm around 3 PM, but decided to get a good night of sleep at home instead. SEPA guys are soft, I guess.
20230922_174621-EFFECTS-COLLAGE-COLLAGE.jpg

20230922_192236.jpg

20230923_115624-COLLAGE-COLLAGE.jpg

20230923_140106.jpg
Yo Nymph-Wristed, I am seriously impressed with your success with the brownies. When the whole gang went in to the trout creek, and that would have been myself, Barry, David, Tom, and his son, Adam, we couldn't catch a darn thing.

We all can't be that bad at trout fishing. And to have 5 guys casting around and for no one to land one is pretty sad. There was a pretty wicked good olive hatch going on, too, but the trout sure didn't seem to care.

Yo Nymph-Wristed, I am seriously impressed with your success with the brownies. When the whole gang went in to the trout creek, and that would have been myself, Barry, David, Tom, and his son, Adam, we couldn't catch a darn thing.

We all can't be that bad at trout fishing. And to have 5 guys casting around and for no one to land one is pretty sad. There was a pretty wicked good olive hatch going on, too, but the trout sure didn't seem to care.
I owe you at least 50% of my success for the suggested pocket water spots (y)

I saw olives too, but as you noted nothing took much notice. One big riser at the first spot, where I fished small caddis imitations underneath for the collection of smaller fish, maybe 6 there. The better fish pictured and 2 others in the 12-13 inch range took a jigged bugger while tightlining deep(er) pocket water on the other stretch. It definitely shut off for me around 2:30 PM, and I was on the road back east by 3:30 PM.

I agree that 5 good anglers should not have had such a beating, but my two fallfish and one bass on Friday night show it works both ways sometimes I guess!

I’m really glad I went this weekend. Even though we were dealt a bad hand with the weather, I truly enjoyed meeting some great folks on the forum for the first time, caught a few fish (Smallies, fallfish, a brownie and a couple of bows) and got to see and fish some new water. Thank you very much, Josh for your hospitality. If you plan another WW jam for next September I will certainly try to make it work.

Wish I could have made it but got opportunity to work and made a couple bucks which never hurts. Looks like you guys did great and had some fun. 👍

Looks like you guys were handed lemons this past weekend, and instead of complaining you just made lemonade out of them.....nice!

No doubt Josh is a great host and does everything he can to take care of his Jammers by making even the toughest of conditions comfortable and fun.

Looking forward to being at the next J-Jam.

Apologies on not being able to attend, I just got back from a 3 day trip to the DSR on Thursday. I had Friday off and tried convincing a friend to head up for the day but they weren't having it so went fishing locally. It wasn't the rain that was keeping me away! In fact, I suspected the fishing would have been better in the rain (guess it wasn't).

Even though the fishing sounded somewhat lackluster it would have been fun just to meet some members and put names to faces. I think this kind of trip was more about hanging out and relaxing than fishing. I think if this thing happens again next year I may be more committed to it. Only problem I see is that the kings and Coho salmon are running about this time of year so my attention may be elsewhere...

Apologies on not being able to attend, I just got back from a 3 day trip to the DSR on Thursday. I had Friday off and tried convincing a friend to head up for the day but they weren't having it so went fishing locally. It wasn't the rain that was keeping me away! In fact, I suspected the fishing would have been better in the rain (guess it wasn't).

Even though the fishing sounded somewhat lackluster it would have been fun just to meet some members and put names to faces. I think this kind of trip was more about hanging out and relaxing than fishing. I think if this thing happens again next year I may be more committed to it. Only problem I see is that the kings and Coho salmon are running about this time of year so my attention may be elsewhere...
Yep, I was definitely gunning for the Kings and Cohos Friday evening in the mighty Juniata, but I just couldn’t seal the deal on them. Maybe next year!! 😉

I will offer my recap of the weekend now....and Tom, how nice of you to take an October Caddis back home to Western PA.

A lot of people bailed out due to the weather, friggin' sissies. Lol, JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING! Honestly, the weather sucked but could have been a lot worse. Saturday we actually had a nice, long break in the rain. I think the highlight of the trip was that I got to meet four new forum members and put faces and names to their internet handles. Even though it was a small group and the weather was lousy, we at least caught fish.

Yup, gotta cop to being one of the sissies.

Somebody is smitten !!!!!!

Josh,

Just wanted to thank you again for hosting the WW Jam again. As always had a great time even if we didn't get a float trip in. Good food great conversations and meeting some new anglers from the forum. I'll be looking forward to next year.

Pure Juniata! Always a great time.

Thank you Josh.

Back