WW Jam September 22-24 Juniata River

To purely float? 10 or 12 hours, maybe more. To paddle in places? Depends on how much you paddle.

So how long do you think it'd take to float that 8mi without stops?
Jeremy -

I floated that section last year with @Wetfly01 and his son in their raft, and I think it took us somewhere around 8 hours, plus or minus.

John

Caught pickerel in the Sinnemahoning and Kettle in the Bush spillway.

Thank you @hooker-of-men. I figured I might appeal to the younger crowd. There's also a version of this song where someone plays the Thomas the Tank Engine theme over Biggie. It's referred to as "Thomas The Dang Engine" and it synchs up too well.

To answer @Nymph-wristed's question, I am thinking of just taking one stick (gasp!). I have a good idea of the style of fishing I am going to be doing and will only need one stick to get it done. I am going to go with latest rod I acquired a SAGE TCX 6wt 9'6" I got in a trade from a good friend (swapped him an H3, and yes, I know the H3 is worth more, but the TCX was in fabulous condition and I had too many H3s' and needed to start getting rid of some). I lawn casted it last week and was pretty impressed with it. Rod seemed to like an 8WT line (Cabela's Prestige, a line I have come to like) (it has a nice taper). I can't say for sure that I like it more than I like my Hardy in the same configuration. The Hardy is definitely lighter, but that is just the difference in close to 15 years of rod development. I will have to do a side by side comparison. There's still a line I need to run on it, Orvis Hydros Nymph in a 7WF-F, but I think the Prestige is what I want, or at least I am satisfied with it. I wouldn't call the TCX a "baller" rod, they're not terribly hard to acquire, so forgive me gents for not rolling out a $2k combo.

I think this will be a fine rod for the J and it'll have the power to contend with those BRUISER redbreast sunfish I have seen @jifigz catch as well as smallmouth and carp. Ever since I fished a 6wt 9'6" platform on the Brandywine in the Chadds Ford area I have come to love that wt and length configuration for larger rivers.

Thank you @hooker-of-men. I figured I might appeal to the younger crowd. There's also a version of this song where someone plays the Thomas the Tank Engine theme over Biggie. It's referred to as "Thomas The Dang Engine" and it synchs up too well.

To answer @Nymph-wristed's question, I am thinking of just taking one stick (gasp!). I have a good idea of the style of fishing I am going to be doing and will only need one stick to get it done. I am going to go with latest rod I acquired a SAGE TCX 6wt 9'6" I got in a trade from a good friend (swapped him an H3, and yes, I know the H3 is worth more, but the TCX was in fabulous condition and I had too many H3s' and needed to start getting rid of some). I lawn casted it last week and was pretty impressed with it. Rod seemed to like an 8WT line (Cabela's Prestige, a line I have come to like) (it has a nice taper). I can't say for sure that I like it more than I like my Hardy in the same configuration. The Hardy is definitely lighter, but that is just the difference in close to 15 years of rod development. I will have to do a side by side comparison. There's still a line I need to run on it, Orvis Hydros Nymph in a 7WF-F, but I think the Prestige is what I want, or at least I am satisfied with it. I wouldn't call the TCX a "baller" rod, they're not terribly hard to acquire, so forgive me gents for not rolling out a $2k combo.

I think this will be a fine rod for the J and it'll have the power to contend with those BRUISER redbreast sunfish I have seen @jifigz catch as well as smallmouth and carp. Ever since I fished a 6wt 9'6" platform on the Brandywine in the Chadds Ford area I have come to love that wt and length configuration for larger rivers.
I think you overthink all of this.......like way overthink it.

Back to business: So far I have a count of those attending (or most likely attending) as:

Maurice, Afishinado, Dave W, Linwood, HopBack, Tim Murphy, Nymph-Wristed, Silent Ocelot, and DC410.

Sounds like a good start. Some repeat offenders and some new folks signing up, as well.

I'll be attending. Maybe someone with me, but not sure yet. Add me to the list.

I'll be attending. Maybe someone with me, but not sure yet. Add me to the list.
Yeah, I was glancing through the posts and missed you Dave.

So, we have Maurice, Afishinado, Dave W, Linwood, HopBack, Tim Murphy, Nymph-Wristed, Silent Ocelot, DC410, and Wetfly01.

That's a good start.

Let's hope we don't have too much rain in September like we're getting now. Floated Huntingdon to Mapleton last Thursday and it fished good. Then went to float on Friday and was pure mud. But salvaged the day floating from the bottom of Raystown Dam to the Point and it fished so-so.

Let's hope we don't have too much rain in September like we're getting now. Floated Huntingdon to Mapleton last Thursday and it fished good. Then went to float on Friday and was pure mud. But salvaged the day floating from the bottom of Raystown Dam to the Point and it fished so-so.
I don't love that stretch of water, from the dam to point access. It is okay.

We just got good solid rain this morning for a couple of hours. This is turning into an excellent summer to small stream trout fish. One properly timed hurricane in September and there definitely will be no WW Jam.

Yeah, I was glancing through the posts and missed you Dave.

So, we have Maurice, Afishinado, Dave W, Linwood, HopBack, Tim Murphy, Nymph-Wristed, Silent Ocelot, DC410, and Wetfly01.

That's a good start.
Hey, forgot me too.

I can't say for sure I am going, still have to get the jalopy inspected. It runs "hot" now with the current 100+ degree temps (60 degree by TCO readings). Not a problem as long as the car doesn't idle for long.

My fishing buddy's car is in the shop as I type this. It needs A LOT of work. Such is the way of old beaters. We are on day 2 of the work being done and this is the more expensive day since yesterday was just preliminary work and diagnostics. We usually take his car because it has functional A/C and is just a smoother ride than my tin can eco box that rides like an aircraft in turbulence (you can hear the steering wheel rattling at 75mph). We will probably hit my favorite bluegill pond tonight, a pond where 10 inchers can be had if you strip a popper right, before we head off to eat/drink/smoke.

I still have to request off days from my weekend job am willing to fish just Friday, if for anything to meet up with forum members so they can put a face to my vibrant internet personality.

I haven’t been in that area in a long time. Think I’ll participate and get to meet some people I only read about in the forums.

I’m also planning on coming, would only be on Saturday for the day though. Thanks for putting this together, and please let me know if there is anything I can help with!

Once upon a time I was told that native chain pickerel could be caught in the juniata near the Tusc inflow. Also I heard maybe Augwick creek but I have always wondered why the weedy juniata does not have a large population of these fish in it or in any of the lower stretches of tribs that dump in?
I've fished the Juniata for nearly forty years and have seen only one pickerel and it was a fish I caught near Newport back in the mid-90s; about 16 inches. I initially thought it was a small muskie.

I don't think pickerel are numerous in any flowing water here in central PA. Sure, there are a couple local creeks where they have been locally numerous in the past, based on my experience, but I usually tell folks that if they want to target pickerel, to look elsewhere, like the Poconos.

I've fished the Juniata for nearly forty years and have seen only one pickerel and it was a fish I caught near Newport back in the mid-90s; about 16 inches. I initially thought it was a small muskie.

I don't think pickerel are numerous in any flowing water here in central PA. Sure, there are a couple local creeks where they have been locally numerous in the past, based on my experience, but I usually tell folks that if they want to target pickerel, to look elsewhere, like the Poconos.
Thats interesting! Native chain pickerel were numerous in some pa creeks in your lifetime? How long ago and what creeks did they used to be plentiful in?

Back