WW Jam September 22-24 Juniata River

I was wondering if I brought a kayak, how rough those 8 miles would be?
Rough as in tough and demanding water conditions? Barring a hurricane hitting, there isn't a dangerous thing or hard part in that 8 miles.

A chance to meet Josh and HopBack? Count me in (if I can get the day off, I just put in for the day off today).

I was thinking the same thing! Plus, we all want to see what gear the Ocelot packs in :)

I put it on my calendar and it looks good so far. Thanks, Josh!

Fishy, fishy, fishy, can't you see, sometimes your posts just hypnotize me, and I just love your pro-native ways, that's why they (PFBC) broke and you're so paid (paid by love from indigenous species and respect by the scientific community).

Son, do you know how expensive it is to eradicate a species?

I’ve got it on my calendar as well. I hope it all works with my schedule. I’ve been wanting to attend this event for a number of years. I’d really like to get the chance to hook up with some old friends and meet some new ones as well. Thank you, Josh.

Hope to see you there @dc410! What's the viability of carp fishing on the Juniata?

Hope to see you there @dc410! What's the viability of carp fishing on the Juniata?
I have no idea? I do know there are plenty of big carp in the Juniata River. If we can find actively feeding carp … we’ll get after ‘em! However, the Smallmouth bite can be great that time of year so it may be tough to divert from the Bronzebacks.

Carp are not as numerous up here as they once were. I can think of a few places you could approach them from the bank where they like to hang out, but I'll be smallie fishing.

Carp are not as numerous up here as they once were. I can think of a few places you could approach them from the bank where they like to hang out, but I'll be smallie fishing.
Prob related to bow fishing if you had to guess ?

Prob related to bow fishing if you had to guess ?
Dear Fish Sticks,

I doubt it. I floated the J for 2 days over Memorial Day from Thompsontown and Millerstown on down to Millerstown and Greenwood. We saw pods of carp in the 36-inch range and up cruising and eating. We were fishing 7 weights and these fish were 10 weight targets easily.

On a side note the Greenwood Ramp is behind the Longhorn Campground. Their sign advertises guns, ammo, bait and tackle, and ice cream, the Perry County grand slam! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Fish Sticks,

I doubt it. I floated the J for 2 days over Memorial Day from Thompsontown and Millerstown on down to Millerstown and Greenwood. We saw pods of carp in the 36-inch range and up cruising and eating. We were fishing 7 weights and these fish were 10 weight targets easily.

On a side note the Greenwood Ramp is behind the Longhorn Campground. Their sign advertises guns, ammo, bait and tackle, and ice cream, the Perry County grand slam! ;)

Regards,

I love Perry County

Once upon a time I was told that native chain pickerel could be caught in the juniata near the Tusc inflow. Also I heard maybe Augwick creek but I have always wondered why the weedy juniata does not have a large population of these fish in it or in any of the lower stretches of tribs that dump in?

Once upon a time I was told that native chain pickerel could be caught in the juniata near the Tusc inflow. Also I heard maybe Augwick creek but I have always wondered why the weedy juniata does not have a large population of these fish in it or in any of the lower stretches of tribs that dump in?
Dear Fish Sticks,

I've fished the Delaware River from Yardley PA to the Cannonsville and Pepacton in NY, and the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg to Otsego Lake. I've caught a lot of fish in them but honestly don't recall ever catching a chain pickerel anywhere in moving water in those drainages? Pike and Musky, yes, but chain pickerel, no.

Regards,

I caught a large pickeral on the Delaware in a slow backwater in Equinunk.

This is true. Aughwick Creek and Tuscarora both have pickerel. Aughwick has some really nice pickerel, too.

I'm going up guess the main river stem just isn't the right conditions and has a little too much current or something.

And yes, I think the carp decline around my area is mostly bowfishing.

Rough as in tough and demanding water conditions? Barring a hurricane hitting, there isn't a dangerous thing or hard part in that 8 miles.
So how long do you think it'd take to float that 8mi without stops?

Back