What Are You Tying Today?

Thanks all, appreciate the comments. Hopefully the trout will like them this April!

#18 Black Fly Larvae
Added a whisp of Ostrich
after looking at photos

Attachments

• PXL_20240227_202013185~2.jpg
    PXL_20240227_202013185~2.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 15
Tilt Wing Dun- Red Quill/Male Hendrickson and Female Hendrickson (Penns colors- gray/olive yellow). They are essentially parachutes with a hair post.
Nice ties. I also have never tied a tilt wing dun but I will soon. Thanks for sharing. What are the bodies made of?

Nice ties. I also have never tied a tilt wing dun but I will soon. Thanks for sharing. What are the bodies made of?
Stripped peacock quills. Male was red quill color and female was dun and yellow olive wrapped together. I'll post a pic of them when I get a chance. They are pretty fragile IMO, need to soak them in water and can only use the lower half as the top half is too thin and brittle. Stripped hackle quills are way better IMO.

Stripped peacock quills. Male was red quill color and female was dun and yellow olive wrapped together. I'll post a pic of them when I get a chance. They are pretty fragile IMO, need to soak them in water and can only use the lower half as the top half is too thin and brittle. Stripped hackle quills are way better IMO.
That dun and yellow olive quill color combonation is killer! Really looks buggy with the color variations!

That dun and yellow olive quill color combonation is killer! Really looks buggy with the color variations!
Thanks bigjohn, most appreciated. I also should have mentioned I hit them both with the Loon Flow UV resin and curing light. That said, I didn't like how it turned out. Maybe my resin is bad, but it was a bit opaque and seemed to "wash out" the nice colors of the quills. Gonna try Sally Hansen on the next batch.

Thanks bigjohn, most appreciated. I also should have mentioned I hit them both with the Loon Flow UV resin and curing light. That said, I didn't like how it turned out. Maybe my resin is bad, but it was a bit opaque and seemed to "wash out" the nice colors of the quills. Gonna try Sally Hansen on the next batch.
I'm not a fan of tying with quills because IF you don't coat them in glue you catch 1 fish and they are usually ruined because the quill breaks and the body unravels. Gotta coat them with something to make them more durable.

Hacklestacker - this may be my favorite color combo.

Hook - 14
Thread - 8/0 Uni gray
Tail - mixed grizzly brown and medium ginger hackle fibers
Body - Hareline Adams gray dubbing
Post - Black span flex
Hackle - grizzly brown and a medium ginger
Thorax - Hareline Adams gray dubbing
IMG 8577

Here’s my all time most productive Stimulator colors:

Image0

But, it’s not (or hopefully, anyway) not my best tied one. It does prove that I’m overdue for an eye exam though, because what appears to look okay when I tie it, doesn’t look so good when I see the magnified picture of it here. Trout, please forgive me! - but you get the general idea anyway.

Tying a half dozen or so Pheasant and Ostrich Isonychia nymphs.....1/2 way there.
Cool little pattern, easy to tie and uses all very traditional and very fishy materials.
Do not know the originator. (Not me)
I weight this one a bit.

Hook: #10 1xl
Thread: Semperfli 18/0 nano , Brown
Lead: .015 wire thorax only
Tail, over body, & wingcase: Pheasant tail
Legs: Partridge
Underbody: 6-7 peacock herl
Gills: brown dyed ostrich herl
Rib: UTC small copper wire

1000008649 01
1000008654 01