What Are You Tying Today?

Clouser’s Foxee Redd Minnow tied on a size 8 Daiichi 1530 hook. Tied this one in carp flavor. Bead chain eyes for a gentle presentation, very subtle red and black flash, no head cement, super glue or uv resin on this one. Those carp have some pretty keen senses!

IMG 9615

You really need a 3rd hand for hackle stacker….dont you?

Great looking fly!!!!
Thanks. A 3rd hand would be way better then the two left thumbs I have.
These look great! I'd float them with confidence.
Thanks. I never fished a hacklestacker so I’m looking forward to trying them.

Tying some little tan scuds. Confession.....there are a few patterns I actually prefer to tie on the cheap little eagle claw gold salmon egg hooks and this is one of them. (Mash the barbs.) I tie some egg patterns and occasionally some other stuff on these hooks as well. These are called a size 10, but they're really comparable to a common size 16 scud hook in size. I've always liked the little bit of flash with gold hooks, and I like cheap hooks for patterns that I use and abuse and tie by the dozens. Anyhow this is a very simple little scud pattern. Tiny piece of UV orange glo bug yarn tucked under the wire rib on the back for that little egg sack (or sometimes a virus) that the little scuds often get. I like a coarser natural hares ears dubbing with a lot of spikey guard hairs. This batch was not quite as buggy as I like. Time to buy more dubbing. Anyhow it's super simple, thread, dubbing, wire rib, little orange hot spot on the back, and UV resin. It'll catch fish all day. And I can crank one out in under two minutes. Forgive my photography skills, too. 😁

Stole your idea on the glo bug yarn and tied up a few with my preferred materials.....I like it!
Thanks for the idea. 👍
I do already tie a pale orange / olive "dead" version, but I like this prego version too. 😁

1000008540 01

Also, any pattern suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I don't have a ton of inshore experience, and I've never been to Indian River Lagoon but I'm a Clouser devotee. Chartreuse or olive over white is what I usually start with. I like Deceivers and other baitfish patterns too. I have crab and shrimp patterns but usually save those until I'm in bonefish or permit territory, which is rare.

Any chance for tarpon moving into the Lagoon next month? That would be wild.

I don't have a ton of inshore experience, and I've never been to Indian River Lagoon but I'm a Clouser devotee. Chartreuse or olive over white is what I usually start with. I like Deceivers and other baitfish patterns too. I have crab and shrimp patterns but usually save those until I'm in bonefish or permit territory, which is rare.

Any chance for tarpon moving into the Lagoon next month? That would be wild.

I definitely have and will be tying more clousers and baitfish patterns. 👍 According to my research (YouTube and podcasts), the fish there are often on shrimp and crabs early in the season when the water is still a bit cold, so that's why I've been messing with that stuff.

IRL has baby tarpon all year, but I'll be too early for the big stuff. I'd be way more than happy with even a baby. I'm not getting a guide and I'll only maybe have access to a Gheenoe, so I imagine there's a good chance I don't find fish and this is all just fun tying practice. Ah well.

Back