What Are You Tying Today?

i added one more, :)

i think three hooks is max allowed??

Snelled flymphs

I've been working my poly in in place of the hackle feather using a split thread or dubbing loop method.
I tried with poly but it didn't turn out exactly like I expected.
20240215 184200

SLF Spikey Squirrel dubbing in dark brown. I really like that dubbing, it gets really buggy when tied in a dubbing loop or split thread.
I tied up a bunch of these caddis patterns this afternoon in sizes 16 and 18. I didn’t have squirrel dubbing in dark brown so I went with dark brown olive hares ear dubbing. Hopefully the fish won‘t notice!

Tying up some "Limestone Scuds" today. This is a variation on a basic pattern that I learned 30 years ago from Fred Reese of Jersey Shore, PA..... He had some great dubbing mixes that he sold and this is one of his. (I'm down to my very last pack of dubbing)
The concept and "magic" of the fly is the combination of materials.
The dubbing is "crystal mohair" which is a very coarse and extremely translucent material with a bit of chopped lite Brite type flash mixed in.
Pale smokey olive in color.
Most commercial type scud patterns you'll see IMO are wayyyyy over dressed and too opaque.
This is relatively underdressed and the way the materials work together allows the centerline of the natural to show through on the imitation.
I tie these in #16 and #18 and they are my #1 confidence fly in water with a lot of scuds.

I'll post a few pics of the build to kinda show how I like the proportions and the finished fly to look.

Hook: Mustad C49SAP Caddis. #16-18. Ive been liking this hook lately. Sticky, fairly light wire and I like the extra bite with the straight eye and the slightly shallower curve in the shank than many "scud" hooks.
Thread: Semperfli 12/0 Brick Beige. I like the thread to be basically no influence to the finished fly.
Tail: wood duck flank sparse
Underbody: Black crystal flash wrapped
Rib: Maxima UG mono ,3x
Shell: 2 light layers of Solarez med.

1000008460 01
PXL 20240218 162126588

PXL 20240218 162610017

PXL 20240218 162924395

1000008449 01

Wet.....
1000008470 01

Scuds In Shrimp And Fish Tank

Last edited:
March Brown Dry

Saw a bunch of these get eaten on top last spring on Penns and not having any in my box, I decided to try a few. Don't have a great memory on the exact color or size, but based on some searches this is what I came up with.

Hook: Fulling Mill all purpose light size 8
Thread: Olive UTC 70
Body: yellowish/cream fine dubbing with olive deer hair wrapped on top
Tail: Olive Deer Hair
Rib: UTC small wire in sculpin olive
Tail: Olive Deer Hair
Wing: Olive Deer Hair

New technique using the deer hair in a loop as hackle. Little tricky to get the hair to lay right in the loop. Trimmed the bottom flush to the body

IMG 6362
IMG 6363

Messed around with extended bodies made from dubbing and tubing that are tied on a sewing needle. Saw it on Tim Flagler's "One-Minute Tying Tips". First pic shows the materials used. Tails are coq de leon. This fly is my attempt at a slate drake.
IMG 2444
IMG 2442

Very cool technique.
What size or type of tubing is used?
Thanks. Don't have the original packaging on the tubing, it was a larva lace assortment I bought years ago. I'd say medium size, it slips over a small sewing needle nicely. Here are a few links that helped me:

Thanks. Don't have the original packaging on the tubing, it was a larva lace assortment I bought years ago. I'd say medium size, it slips over a small sewing needle nicely. Here are a few links that helped me:

that looks fairly easy to do. yours looks excellent!
guess i've found a use for the pack of larvae lace i've had for all these years.

Back