What Are You Tying Today?

that looks fairly easy to do. yours looks excellent!
guess i've found a use for the pack of larvae lace i've had for all these years.
Appreciate it lars. Good luck and hope it works for you.

Thanks. Don't have the original packaging on the tubing, it was a larva lace assortment I bought years ago. I'd say medium size, it slips over a small sewing needle nicely. Here are a few links that helped me:

I need to go find some tubing!
Beautiful flies!

Looking at the temps on the extended forecast, I’m banking on the carp bite kicking into gear! Tying up a great carpin’ pattern tonight. Russ Madin’s Carp Charlie. Tied on a size 6 Daiichi 1530 hook.

IMG 9610

Good question- maybe burning the end shut before tying on the tail would work?
i actually tied mine using the pointed end of the needle as the tail and as such tried to taper down the
tube and close it up a bit.

i actually tied mine using the pointed end of the needle as the tail and as such tried to taper down the
tube and close it up a bit.
I remember placing the business end of a snapped off bodkin in the vice, tying the tail onto the bodkin. Putting flex-i-ment on something on the dubbing to firm it up, then slide it off the bodkin and tying the tail onto the hook. Sort of like above. I didnt tie a ton of these but I was in my younger experimental stage so it was fun. I'd tie some tails then build whole flies later.

Tying some little tan scuds. Confession.....there are a few patterns I actually prefer to tie on the cheap little eagle claw gold salmon egg hooks and this is one of them. (Mash the barbs.) I tie some egg patterns and occasionally some other stuff on these hooks as well. These are called a size 10, but they're really comparable to a common size 16 scud hook in size. I've always liked the little bit of flash with gold hooks, and I like cheap hooks for patterns that I use and abuse and tie by the dozens. Anyhow this is a very simple little scud pattern. Tiny piece of UV orange glo bug yarn tucked under the wire rib on the back for that little egg sack (or sometimes a virus) that the little scuds often get. I like a coarser natural hares ears dubbing with a lot of spikey guard hairs. This batch was not quite as buggy as I like. Time to buy more dubbing. Anyhow it's super simple, thread, dubbing, wire rib, little orange hot spot on the back, and UV resin. It'll catch fish all day. And I can crank one out in under two minutes. Forgive my photography skills, too. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_180705017.jpg
    IMG_20240221_180705017.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240221_175603291.jpg
    IMG_20240221_175603291.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20240221_172853603_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240221_172853603_HDR.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 37
Now to refill my midge box. 🙂

Reactions: GHM
Tying some little tan scuds. Confession.....there are a few patterns I actually prefer to tie on the cheap little eagle claw gold salmon egg hooks and this is one of them. (Mash the barbs.) I tie some egg patterns and occasionally some other stuff on these hooks as well. These are called a size 10, but they're really comparable to a common size 16 scud hook in size. I've always liked the little bit of flash with gold hooks, and I like cheap hooks for patterns that I use and abuse and tie by the dozens. Anyhow this is a very simple little scud pattern. Tiny piece of UV orange glo bug yarn tucked under the wire rib on the back for that little egg sack (or sometimes a virus) that the little scuds often get. I like a coarser natural hares ears dubbing with a lot of spikey guard hairs. This batch was not quite as buggy as I like. Time to buy more dubbing. Anyhow it's super simple, thread, dubbing, wire rib, little orange hot spot on the back, and UV resin. It'll catch fish all day. And I can crank one out in under two minutes. Forgive my photography skills, too. 😁
Very scudly looking.
Nice work!

Back