What Are You Tying Today?

I want to learn to fish wet flies. Do you pre-tie all of your rigs? What size tippet are your flies connected to, etc. etc. How long is the total pre-rig?
imo, fishing wets is pretty simple.

i have never tied up a leader of flies like in the image before. it's just i came across a pile of blind eye hooks in my hook stash and decided to mess around with them. totally not needed, but i might tie up a couple with better distances between them just to mess with. that pattern that i snellled on that leader is a really effective simple pattern known to me as a flymph. i usually tie them on #16's in olive, black or tan, some with ribbing, some with a little flash. pick your dubbing and a collar of partridge.

i fish them on 5x. usually tie one to the hook bend of the other with around a foot or two of leader between them. fish down and across and just let the flys swing until the end of the drift. let them hang at the end of the drift a moment or two before flipping the rig back upstream and repeat. it can help to lift your rod tip towards the end of the drift to simulate a caddis rising from the bottom. work your way down the run. can be very effective at the right times of year.

fore and aft midges on #24 Partridge K1A Vince Marinaro midge hooks
IMG 3379

The nomatchstacker

Hook - 14
Thread - Olive 8/0 Uni
Tail - Olive dyed Mallard flank
Body - Hareline Adams gray dubbing
Post/antenna - black spanflex
Hackle - Dun
Thorax - Chartreuse ice dub

IMG 8551

I decided the nomatchstacker needed to have a wood duck flank tail and a mirage opal rib.

IMG 8560

Last edited:
I want to learn to fish wet flies. Do you pre-tie all of your rigs? What size tippet are your flies connected to, etc. etc. How long is the total pre-rig?
Way back when I tried (unsuccessfully) to use wet flies, my father-in-law tied all his wets and attached snelled leaders onto his collection for the spring. He still has the stretcher board he used to keep the leaders straight. His "wet-fly leader" terminated with a heavy tippet having two dropper loops in the running line and a perfection loop on the tip. (I can't remember the spacing since I'd switch to dries, the moment I saw a rise or a hatch.) He'd start with three different flies and then double or treble which nymph he had on the rig based on which one was catching the most fish. I never figured out how to make it effective and generally broke one of the loops by snagging the bottom.

Last edited:
Adams Hacklestacker
Hook - 14
Thread - Veevus 12/0 gray
Tail - mixed grizzly and brown hackle fibers
Post - Black span flex
Hackle - grizzly and brown
Thorax - Hareline Adams gray dubbing
IMG 8563

Adams Hacklestacker
Hook - 14
Post - Black span flex
View attachment 1641234562
Don't take this the wrong way - because I think your hacklestacks are as well done as any out there - but I generally don't like how hacklestacked flies look at all. This one, however, looks so clean and perfect. That's the most appealing hacklestack I've ever seen!

Thank you and no offense taken. I’ve never tied or fished Hacklestackers before so i’m taking the opportunity to learn something new and to later try something new.

Adams Hacklestacker
Hook - 14
Post - Black span flex
View attachment 1641234562
nice looking fly. i've never fished or tied one either, but looks like you've got the technique nailed.

nice looking fly. i've never fished or tied one either, but looks like you've got the technique nailed.
Thank you. It’s still a bit of a struggle but its starting to ease a bit.

Quick questions... I don't think I've ever used a hacklestack fly but that Adams is a beauty.
Is that method a good substitute for post and hackle on a parachute tie?
How do they cast? It looks like they will fly without twisting thin tippet and would settle gently on the water.
Regards.

I’ve never fished them either and only just started tying them. I think they are a pain in the neck to tie. It’s much easier to tie a parachute fly. What I do like is how I’m using up all my oversized hackle.

I started tying and fishing them last year and I had some success. I don’t tie them as a dun, but instead I use the technique on emerger patterns tied on klinkhammer hooks.

"Charlie's" caddis .....tied with dubbing from my dog's (Charlie) brush. Couldn't let the kids throw away perfectly good dubbing with nice spiky guard hairs. 😁 Size 16 firehole scud hook, gunmetal bead, chartreuse antron and wire rib. A 60 second fly that fishes like a champ.

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_200935446.jpg
    IMG_20230417_200935446.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 40
Back