What Are You Tying Today?

Make sure you post a photo of the finished frog.
Here's a couple of pictures
Top view
DSCF1443

side view
DSCF1283

popper version
DSCF1450

Everybody has their pet Baetis nymph patterns....this is one of my 2.
Nothing glamorous or too technical, just a pretty straight forward closer match to the natural than my olive pheasant tail.
I doubt they can count the segments or are very impressed with the wood duck flank....but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy LOL 😁

Hook: #18-20 2xl of your preference
Abdomen: "midge" UTC vinyl rib (olive)
Thread: UTC Ultra 70 (brown olive)
Thorax: any BWO finish dubbing will do
Wingcase: Dark dun "medallion sheeting" w/ light bead of solarez medium.
Tail / Legs: Wood duck flank
1000008389 02
1000008393 01

I’m digging all of the vinyl rib flies lately.
I bought some Hareline D-rib at the NJ fly show and am getting inspired to incorporate it. How does it work on dry flies?

I bought some Hareline D-rib at the NJ fly show and am getting inspired to incorporate it. How does it work on dry flies?
Sinks em pretty quick in my experience. Nice for emergers if you're using poly wings or cdc wings though.

You can get so many different looks by using different color threads underneath of different color vinyl ribs. The combinations are almost endless. It’s a lot of fun playing around with it at the vise. For example, hot orange thread underneath olive vinyl rib is a really cool look, just dumbed into that one awhile back.

This should float!!
Between the CDC and the foam I’m hoping the tail stays in the film and the wing stays on top.
View attachment 1641234398
I’d give you a double “like” on that one if there was any way to do it. Even if it doesn‘t float up high I could envision fishing that as a trailer with it riding flush in the film. Wham!

more stimulators on #12's & #10's. a fun pattern to tie. pretty involved fly.
View attachment 1641234399
That's one that is on my list that I haven't done yet.

I need to use this thread as inspiration to get to work. I haven't tied anything since the end of December, and that was just some blood dots for a suprise steelhead trip.

That's one that is on my list that I haven't done yet.

I need to use this thread as inspiration to get to work. I haven't tied anything since the end of December, and that was just some blood dots for a suprise steelhead trip.
Charlie Craven has an excellent step by step procedure which truly helps with proportions and techniques for this pattern.

Back