What Are You Tying Today?

Years back when most respectable fly fishermen were trying to fool wary trout in central Pennsylvania’s limestone streams by fishing size #22 dry flys on 7x tippet, I was cleaning up using this fly that I had “developed” (if there is such a thing) while living on a small tributary to Spring Creek. This was before anyone ever heard about San Juan worms, Squirmy Wormies, Wire Worms, or the like, and before a fly fisherman would want his peers to learn of him fishing such a lowly and detestable worm imitation.

I haven’t tied or used one of my worms in years, so I thought I might tie a few of them, and perhaps sneak out and give them a try.

Image0

Years back when most respectable fly fishermen were trying to fool wary trout in central Pennsylvania’s limestone streams by fishing size #22 dry flys on 7x tippet, I was cleaning up using this fly that I had “developed” (if there is such a thing) while living on a small tributary to Spring Creek. This was before anyone ever heard about San Juan worms, Squirmy Wormies, Wire Worms, or the like, and before a fly fisherman would want his peers to learn of him fishing such a lowly and detestable worm imitation.

I haven’t tied or used one of my worms in years, so I thought I might tie a few of them, and perhaps sneak out and give them a try.

View attachment 1641234254
Looks a lot like the "Vladi Worm" that became famous in competition circles. No doubt would still work well.

I was reading Bob Linsenman’s and Kelly Galloup’s book “Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout” last evening. In the chapter on Reading the Water there was mention made of the Rattlesnake being an exceptionally productive pattern when targeting big trout positioned near shelves. I looked up the pattern and thought it was a very unique pattern designed by Ray Schmidt. Here is my attempt at the Rattlesnake. I’m thinking it would be a great Smallie fly as well.

IMG 9575

Herl off of a primary crow wing feather
Where do you get the crow feathers? Is there a significant difference between a herl from a crow feather and a black pheasant tail?

Where do you get the crow feathers? Is there a significant difference between a herl from a crow feather and a black pheasant tail?
I shoot them in my backyard and then skin out the wings. Black pheasant tail would work great too. The crow wing fibers are probably overall shorter then the Pheasant tail fibers, but for small flies the crow works great.

IMG 9576

Back