>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some real nice looking ties by everyone. Haven't been on here in awhile but got back to the bench recently to start stalking up for spring. Started with one of my favorites, a variation of a black nose dace. Fox squirrel and crystal flash instead of the layered black white and brown buck tail. Happy tying everyone.

Nick

Attachments

• black nose dace.jpg
    black nose dace.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 5
NPflychucker, nice looking streamer. Interesting pattern. I like it.

GenCon

I tied up a few stimulators this evening to restock for the upcoming season. The yellow stimmie is my most favorite one. I also tried a royal stimulator for something a little different. I decided to not include the palmered hackle on the body of the royal (just seemed a bit too busy for my liking). I have done real well fishing this pattern as the top fly of a dry/dropper rig, particularly in some of the faster riffles in mid summer.

Attachments

• Stimulators.JPG
    Stimulators.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 5
Nice ties John.

GenCon

dc410 wrote:
I tied up a few stimulators this evening to restock for the upcoming season. The yellow stimmie is my most favorite one. I also tried a royal stimulator for something a little different. I decided to not include the palmered hackle on the body of the royal (just seemed a bit too busy for my liking). I have done real well fishing this pattern as the top fly of a dry/dropper rig, particularly in some of the faster riffles in mid summer.

I want to try this one what are using for the wing and tail is that Elk or Deer? I only have Elk now but I can pick up some Deer if need be.

On another note what are you guys using to take your pictures? In today's day and age I use my phone for everything (I don't think I even own a regular camera anymore) But it doesn't like to focus very close up. just curious

Thanks Guys having a lot of fun with this. But at this rate I'll never use all the flies I'm tying! :lol:

Nate540:

You can use Elk hair or other hollow hair that does not have the tendency to flair. I prefer coastal deer hair. Color to match what you want to imitate. I suck at taking pictures, can't give you any advice about that.

Nate540,

This is a fun pattern to tie and fish. You can certainly use either elk or deer hair for the tail and wing. I used good old PA whitetail deer body hair on these. Managing the deer hair to keep it on top of the hook can be a bit challenging. It is a combination of thread tension, loose wraps and tight wraps while maintaining complete control with your fingers. As soon as you let go of the hair with your fingers you lose total control of the hair.

I cured an 18"x18" piece of deer hide off of a deer that I harvested this Fall here in PA. I'm going to cut it up into 4"x4" pieces for tying. If you can come to the Tying Jam on Saturday February 6, I'd be glad to give you a piece of my deer hide and some tips on tying deer hair wings.

I take all my photos with my I-phone. Some of them are a bit grainy but they are usually decent. You can't try to get too close when taking photos with your phone. Back off enough to be able to get it into focus and use a photo manager to crop the photo before attaching the photo to a post on PAFF. Good luck on your stimmies!

Took the advice. Tied em with smaller hackle and less deer hair.

9B246419-D8A3-4602-B309-4ADF016B1373_zpswkbimpro.jpg

I tied up some Ausable bombers as well to get a feel for wrapping hackle.

00314D5A-B34E-47D1-AC1D-A0141BE370D4_zpsb5dval3b.jpg

I didnt have any calf body hair, so I substituted with some buck tail.

Nate540 wrote:

On another note what are you guys using to take your pictures? In today's day and age I use my phone for everything (I don't think I even own a regular camera anymore) But it doesn't like to focus very close up. just curious

iPhone 5. I use the auto exposure/auto focus lock feature (AE/AF LOCK) and hope for the best. Most pictures turn out ok enough to get by. Both photos above were taken with this feature.

So far, I've dried a piece of deer hide from the deer I should this year. I also dried the buck (doe) tail from the same deer. Also I dried a fox squirrel and grey squirrel hide as well. All turned out better than I had expected and Ive been using them with success. I kinda wish I woulda dried the tail from the deer my old lady shot as well.

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to try to make it up to the tying jam but its not 100% yet. Learning so much from you all on this site!

The RC pic I posted is out of my iPhone 4s, was tough to get a decent focus until I zoomed in on it, must have some sort of macro dilly that happens automatically to get it sharp, I don't use the phone much for pics.

For this one, I was trying out a newish lens on the DSLR (Sigma 17-70), playing around after tying a dozen hare's ear soft hackles the other night...
DSC_0043-2-L.jpg

Tomi

Great photo! Really like the lighting and effect. Excellent detail.

Thanks for posting!

neat photo. that would make a great picture.

Black stonefly
http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/PistolPetePa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslq8njox2.jpeg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=144586409&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

Tying to get ready for the river.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 6
And...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 6
Some neat looking flies Mkern.

A big ole mantis shrimp.