>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandfly, I agree with you. However, I eliminate the palmer hackle. As you know, the stimulator was designed for the "salmon fly" hatch out west, which is a large adult stone fly. I never saw the need to add the palmer hackle when fishing it in PA waters. Therefore I call mine a semi-stimulator. Can be used as an attractor, a searching pattern, an adult large stone fly, or when tied with a dull orange body it is an effective pattern for the October Caddis.

outsider, I do the same for most of mine. I do both ways for the stock boxes in the shop. a sz.14 orange is a great fall caddis patterm

Sandfly, here is one more feature I add: I rib the body with 4 lb. mono to maintain the body profile, helps to prevent it from becoming ragged after catching fish.

Tried my hand at some kink hammer style flies.

20160112_194121_zpsz513lszo.jpg

20160112_172240_zpsqnnagcju.jpg

20160112_221009_zps39zmbsyz.jpg

Sorry to be that guy: Klinkhammer.

sandfly wrote:
try tying your stimulators with a size or 2 smaller hackle than what is called for. most beginners tie the stimulator to thick starting out.

Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a try on the next batch

JackM wrote:

But your always that guy Jack . I'm sure it was the autocorrect that did him with the miss spelling

JackM wrote:

Ha, new someone had to say it. But the real deal they look good.
Tied very well.

GenCon

Real nice ties, Tyger. Did you tie off on the bottom of the post?

Yes, they are nice ties in the kinkyheimer style.

Edit:
Damn auto-correct.

Finally after more than a little bit of searching off and on over the years, I picked up a 'new' tying desk....decided to tinker with a classic last night...had some rust to shake off, it's been a while. Quill wings....ugh.

RC-wet-M.jpg

Kinkyhammer haha. Geeze. It was late when I posted, thanks for the spell check Jack. Thank you all for the compliments as well.

John, the hackle is tied off on the bottom of the post. I don't like tying off on the shank, cause I suck at NOT trapping down fibers. Im sure the fish don't care, but I do.

TomiT, that's a very cool fly, nice tie!

J55tyger88 wrote:
TomiT, that's a very cool fly, nice tie!

^ ditto, nice fly.

GenCon

tomitrout wrote:
Finally after more than a little bit of searching off and on over the years, I picked up a 'new' tying desk....decided to tinker with a classic last night...had some rust to shake off, it's been a while. Quill wings....ugh.

tomitrout I just started tying a month or so ago so don't be too hard on it but here is one I tied up similar to that.

Attachments

• 2015-12-29.jpg
    2015-12-29.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3
nate540,
from looking at the pic, you have your hackle facing the wrong direction. make sure the dull side faces forward on single hackle fly's and on double hackle one each way. looks good otherwise

Outsider,
here are some of the stonefly dry's I do for Pa.

Attachments

• DSCF9901 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    DSCF9901 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the tip. Like I said I have no idea what I'm doing :lol:

Sandfly, the stoneflies look good, most of them similar to my style of tying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back