>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for deflecting this thread - back to what we're tying today. . .

Enjoying a quiet Christmas afternoon. Joy's taking a nap, so I ted a few Bead-Head Hare's Ears. Nothing picture worthy, but I hope to take them out tomorrow or Sunday for "criticism". :)

dc410 wrote:
Something a little different for the winter outings if I get the chance. This is the Disco Squirrel Midge. Black 70D UTC thread, a few wraps of a strand of pearl flashabou and a sparse squirrel fur collar (although it really doesn't look that sparse in the photo).

I just took notice of your post. I tie a similar pattern except I pale green thread for the body and pearl crystal flash for the rib. I use fox squirrel for the collar.

More large articulated trout streamers.

With clipped deer hair heads such as these, I like the keep the diameter of the head very large but don't use too much hair - a sparse head sinks better, but the large diameter really pushes water. Contrasting colors in the front and rear sections are also a good touch.

Attachments

• F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1
Fishidiot wrote:
More large articulated trout streamers.

With clipped deer hair heads such as these, I like the keep the diameter of the head very large but don't use too much hair - a sparse head sinks better, but the large diameter really pushes water. Contrasting colors in the front and rear sections are also a good touch.

Real good looking streamers, Dave.

I tied up a few scuds for the local spring creeks this winter.

Attachments

• scud1.JPG
    scud1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice John

GenCon

Do any of you guys tie hackle wing spinners or parachute spinners? If so, what color hackle do you use? I've used grizzly and was just curious what you guys used.

I do not do hackle wing spinners. I like to use zelon for wings tyed looped. But I do tie parachute spinners. I use the hackle color which best represents to color of the insects legs I am trying to imitate and I keep it sparse. Maybe just 2 turns.

GenCon

fisherboy3 wrote:
Do any of you guys tie hackle wing spinners or parachute spinners? If so, what color hackle do you use? I've used grizzly and was just curious what you guys used.

Hackle wing spinners are my go-to spinner pattern. I've used white and light dun, but most times I use grizzly hackle for the wings.

I tie the wing rather sparse with oversize hackle and clip it fore and aft. I trim the post short and often use a bright colored poly yarn for better visibility in low light.

CDC sedge, before and after clipping. It is wrapped with a CDC dubbing brush then clipped to shape.

GenCon

Attachments

• CDC before.jpg
    CDC before.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
  • CDC clipped.jpg
    CDC clipped.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
sulfur spinner

Attachments

• sulphur spinner.jpg
    sulphur spinner.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1
Nice tie, Mike. The Zelon loop wing with the CDC! Those poor fish don't have a chance. You might want to just tie up a couple extra dozen of them for the Jam. ;-)

Watching some Bowl games this afternoon and messing around with some pheasant feathers and came up with a sort of Pheasant Flymph type of pattern. This fly is tied with one pheasant feather (well, really two - I did use the aftershaft feather that is attached to the back of the pheasant back feather). This fly could be fished as a wet fly or nymph. I was really just aiming for lots of movement in the materials and aiming at keeping the materials list very simple.

Pheasant Flymph

Hook - Mustad 3906B - size 10
Thread - UTC 70 - olive
Tail - Fluffy fibers off of the pheasant back feather just below the well marked bluish-green fibers.
Body - Fluffy fibers from both sides of the lower part of the pheasant back feather tied in using the split string dubbing style.
Collar - Aftershaft feather tied in front of the body to add some additional movement and provide support for the soft hackle fibers.
Hackle - Blueish-green pheasant back feather tied in soft hackle style.

Attachments

• Pheasant Flymph 4.JPG
    Pheasant Flymph 4.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Pheasant Flymph Materials.JPG
    Pheasant Flymph Materials.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
Great use of the pheasant John. Nicely done as well.

GenCon

Tied some jig-head wooly buggers this morning and will try to find some time this afternoon to tie some small green nymphs with black bead heads.
I use the buggers as my anchor fly and will use the nymphs on either the Lackawanna or Lackawaxen Sunday. I was pulling tubes with that bug from both places the last times I fished them.

Assembled_zpsxnhvo7xj.jpg

Big%20Hole%20Demon%20mini_zpsl9qefmfu.jpg

Interesting tie, Norm!

My musky fishing habits have spilled over into my trout game. The quest for a 30 inch streamer trout has begun.

The Boogie Man
8E5579B4-3FD9-4D11-B973-9B9C9BDBBAF4_zpscrcaadov.jpg

The Double D
DDB8FA4B-3288-4D9C-8590-1B9A0557B3B9_zps6lwc8u7k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back