>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
GenCon,

Are you looping those poly wings as it appears? And are the tails micro-fibbets? I like the idea of looping the poly to give the appearance of a rounded wing. First time I ever saw that.

Mike, nice spinner! I like the wings!

Maurice wrote:
GenCon,

Are you looping those poly wings as it appears? And are the tails micro-fibbets? I like the idea of looping the poly to give the appearance of a rounded wing. First time I ever saw that.

Maurice, yes tails are fibbets. The loop wings are zelon. Looping them makes them a bit stiffer and gives a great silhouette in the water.
It also looks very natural while floating. Its not hard to do. I'm using the butt ends of the zelon for the parachute post as well.

Tyger thanks, we will tie these one night when you are over.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
FI some cool looking shrimp. Have you fished them yet?
GenCon

Not this exact version.

I like my flies to ride hook upward but this pattern didn't swim right when tied hook upward (I tested them out on a local creek recently just to check their performance in the water). So I went back to the drawing board and re-tied them hook downward. I like a realistic shrimp pattern for south FL mango snappers. We chum 'em with livies but getting them to eat a fly is really tough and I've found this game calls for realistic looking flies (and skinny flouro leaders). Trout (seatrout) and reds, however, are not picky about shrimp patterns.

I'm hoping to get some time in in the Keys soon and will report back. If the past is any experience, I'd bet on the snappers as they usually kick my butt. It's amazing how they run down live shrimp or chum chunks but show 'em a fly or lure and they ignore it.

Maurice wrote:
GenCon,

Agree, that's an excellent fly and intriguing.

Mosquito%20Larva_zpsseft48hn.jpg

I have another question. I have used all of the grizzly on my half neck. I am looking to get a grizzly saddle now. Anyone have experience with the whiting hebert miner? Or whiting red label in bronze or silver? What do you guys think. I would be tying flies mostly in 12-20

I have both. They are both good, I think red label is a little better for small sizes but you can't really go wrong with either one.

It will be tough to get that size range from one saddle. Saddles tend to feature two to three dominant sizes.

You may need to purchase two half saddles from different birds to get that range.

Also, for saddles I like the red label and for necks the Hebert pro grade are great. Look HERE

Tiogadog wrote:
It will be tough to get that size range from one saddle. Saddles tend to feature two to three dominant sizes.

You may need to purchase two half saddles from different birds to get that range.

Also, for saddles I like the red label and for necks the Hebert pro grade are great. Look HERE

^ I agree with this. If you want all the size ranges look at a cape.

GenCon

Shark flies.

Big fluffy orange flies are the standard for FFing for sharks in FL. One important consideration is to keep the flies simple and tied with a single, barbless hook. Sharks are typically unhooked by pulling at the shank of the hook with a gaff or similar tool so you want a fairly clear shank, esp if you seek to target bigger sharks (I don't care to cast at bigger sharks and usually prefer to target smaller lemons, BTs, and bonnets - fish generally under 3' in length that can be handled). Flies this size are better for fish on the smaller side.

Attachments

• Shk1.jpg
    Shk1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
Something a little different for the winter outings if I get the chance. This is the Disco Squirrel Midge. Black 70D UTC thread, a few wraps of a strand of pearl flashabou and a sparse squirrel fur collar (although it really doesn't look that sparse in the photo).

Attachments

• Disco squirrel midge 003.JPG
    Disco squirrel midge 003.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1
Fishidiot, nice shark flys. John cool midge.

GenCon

just be careful on unhooking sharks, scar (hard to see) is from a lemon in the keys. taking fly out with pliers and slipped on a tooth, something like 23 stitches inside and out and some nerve damage.

Attachments

• 9-25-11 012 (400x300).jpg
    9-25-11 012 (400x300).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2
  • 9-25-11 015 (400x300).jpg
    9-25-11 015 (400x300).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 9-25-11 030 (400x300).jpg
    9-25-11 030 (400x300).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 9-25-11 043 (400x300).jpg
    9-25-11 043 (400x300).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0030 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0030 (400x300).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
Back to the basics tonight. Size 12 CRHE (Copper Ribbed Hares Ear).

Attachments

• Cu ribbed Hares Ear.JPG
    Cu ribbed Hares Ear.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Hares Ear Materials.JPG
    Hares Ear Materials.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 4
Nice John, good ole pattern with lots of history and hard to beat.
Tied well.

GenCon

sandfly wrote:
just be careful on unhooking sharks, scar (hard to see) is from a lemon in the keys. taking fly out with pliers and slipped on a tooth, something like 23 stitches inside and out and some nerve damage.

Now that's hard core! :-o :lol:

Fishidiot wrote:
sandfly wrote:

Now that's hard core! :-o :lol:

Thats merely a flesh wound :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back