>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn nice looking tie, DC.

Thanks, Dave. I learned how to tie a long time ago mainly using natural materials. I still find it a lot of fun to see what I can tie and fish using all natural materials. In the case of this fly - the same material for all components of the fly. I certainly use many synthetic materials when I tie and there are a lot of great ones out there. However, the synthetic stuff is always changing, the natural materials remain constant.

dc410 wrote:
Thanks, Dave. I learned how to tie a long time ago mainly using natural materials. I still find it a lot of fun to see what I can tie and fish using all natural materials. In the case of this fly - the same material for all components of the fly. I certainly use many synthetic materials when I tie and there are a lot of great ones out there. However, the synthetic stuff is always changing, the natural materials remain constant.

Good looking fly John. Great use of the materials.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:

Nice fly, what is that hook?

GenCon

This fly is a double utilizing a wire loop joint and a single white bead. The trail hook is a standard nymph hook, about size 8 and the forward hook is a long shank streamer hook, about size 6.

I bent the front of the shank just behind the eye slightly upwards with pliers.

More salmon fly patterns

Attachments

• salmon juan.jpg
    salmon juan.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
Shrimp.

Attachments

• Shrimp1.JPG
    Shrimp1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 3
Tiogadog, that is a nice fly. FI some cool looking shrimp. Have you fished them yet?

GenCon

Just a quick question for you guys. I have a Whiting Bronze Cree Cape that I got for a steal online...couldnt pass it up. What patterns would i tie with it? Ive tied adams, paranymphs ect. What species of mayfly, dries, could i tie with this hackle?

Fisherboy:

I would stick with parachute Adams and parachute hares ear. I imagine you could also sub that hackle for the mix on a March Brown.

Garcia's Mini Hots:

Attachments

• Mini Hots.jpg
    Mini Hots.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi guys I'm just starting to tie flies and having a great time learning. I'm looking for tie up some nice looking flys to put in a display on my desk. Any suggestions on a larger nice looking pattern. Just looking to tie something eye catching not something to fish.

Thanks

Nate540 wrote: Just looking to tie something eye catching not something to fish.

Thanks

Nate, it depends on how advanced you are. A CB Stocker is nice or try a Mickey Finn. Also try an elk hair caddis with a bright orange, red or yellow dubbed body.

I really like this one I believe its called a Grizzly King

Attachments

• 130b75978b23fbdafe7528cd324716de.jpg
    130b75978b23fbdafe7528cd324716de.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3
The flys you put on your desk should be the ones that you have used to catch the fish in the pictures you have next to them.

I agree with Tioga, March Brown dun.
fisherboy3 wrote:
Just a quick question for you guys. I have a Whiting Bronze Cree Cape that I got for a steal online...couldnt pass it up. What patterns would i tie with it? Ive tied adams, paranymphs ect. What species of mayfly, dries, could i tie with this hackle?

Nate540 wrote:
Hi guys I'm just starting to tie flies and having a great time learning. I'm looking for tie up some nice looking flys to put in a display on my desk. Any suggestions on a larger nice looking pattern. Just looking to tie something eye catching not something to fish.

Thanks

I don't tie to display, but I do have two photos on my tying desk. They are of two of our grand-children who wanted to know what my tying equipment was for and then wanted to tie something.

Joy snapped pics while each one sat on my lap and tied buggers. I later framed the photos and flies and gave them to the kids who still proudly show them to me when we visit

Go for display of flies that will bring back memories.

Tiogadog wrote:
Garcia's Mini Hots:

Tioga, great looking ties.

GenCon

Rusty spinner. This worked very well for me on the Little J last year.

GenCon

Attachments

• IMG_20150201_153543412.jpg
    IMG_20150201_153543412.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1
I second thae rusty spinner parachute GenCon. Instead of the poly wing in the side though i just do 5-6 turns of hackle and cut off the front and back.

Green%20Drake%20Roy%20Palm_zps7ofqhf3e.jpg

Danger%20Baby%20Copper_zpsrniydmxg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back