>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
They be some killer streamers. Very well done.

GenCon

Very nice tie on the "Boogie Man" Paco. That looks killer!!!

I've been tying this style of streamer alot lately, and will probably be tying this style in the Tying Jam. The orange is the closest I had to Bengals orange.

20160106_155523_zpsvqvmqgwd.jpg

Everyone, nice ties. We are fortunate to have this resource at our fingertips, everyone's ties and they way they incorporate their own style,s into the flies they fish.

Nice ties, Tyger. I like the NFL theme. Looks a true Matuka-Zonker hybrid, kind of like a Mazonka. Good stuff.

Nice streamers Tyger. Looks like someone pays attention in class. LOL See you tonight.

GenCon

working on a few projects, did 6 dozen Christmas tree ear rings for a custom order, tied some blue troths bullheads for an order, working on some custom spinner blades for a customer and filling wet fly box.

Attachments

• DSCF0198 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0198 (400x300).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0203 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0203 (400x300).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0199 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0199 (400x300).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0201 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0201 (400x300).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0200 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0200 (400x300).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0207 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0207 (400x300).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0205 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0205 (400x300).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3
I literally just starting tying my own flies this week. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who has done it for a bit now so she was able to show me the basics.

So far, I've tied Pink San Juan Worms, Greenie Weenies, and Hare's Ears. I like to feel really comfortable with a fly patter before moving onto the next, which I think will be a frenchie or pheasant tail.

Here are some pics...

Hare's Ear -

20160109_074120-01_zpshmsfvopi.jpeg

Pink San Juan -

20160105_184048-02_zpswtj48mlw.jpeg

Greenie Weenie-

image-20160106_195212_zpsxuekrrs0.jpg

Looks like you have a good teacher. Nice job.

GenCon

A version of a sulphur nymph using fox squirrel fur for the abdomen and thorax.

Attachments

• Sulphur nymph .JPG
    Sulphur nymph .JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 3
A couple more Drunk and Disorderlys.
AEED078A-F8ED-4789-8BBB-12B805C82BD4_zpsyuk9infg.jpg

Thunder%20Creek%20Schlappen_zpsuez4bnfx.jpg

mini thunder creek tied with schlappen feather fibers

DC410, thats a beauty!! do you have a material list?? Thats nice a buggy!! Should catch a bunch!

Nice flies everyone! John, I like that nymph as well.

Raftman, welcome to tying and your ties are nice. I noticed the hooks in your pictures, in your vise jaws, seem to be a little close to the hook point. Have you had problems with your fly rotating down, in your jaws? If so, try placing the hook in the jaws more centered in the bend of the hook. I noticed I get a better bite on the hook this way. Hope this helps!

Thanks, guys.

mooney,

I tied this pattern basically off of a pattern that was shared by Mike Heck in his book, "Spring Creek Strategies", with a few very minor changes due to my available materials. Here is the materials list that I used to tie the Suphur nymph.

Hook: Mustad 3906B, size 14
Thread: UTC 70D - Black
Tail - Mottled brown hen neck fibers
Body - Fox Squirrel fur
Rib - Small gold wire
Thorax - Fox Squirrel fur (tied in split thread technique and picked out)
Wingcase - Wild turkey tail fibers

I have really started to enjoy using squirrel body fur for dubbing for nymphs. I love the spikey nature of this material and it really comes alive when tied in using the split thread dubbing technique. I will be demonstrating this technique and the use of squirrel fur for dubbing at the upcoming tying jam.

Whipped up some stimulators for once it starts getting warm out. First time tying this pattern.

Some of them turned out better than others as Im still learning how to work with hackle feathers

E41AE0C3-9B0C-4146-A79D-93818EDA1BA9_zpsbl2jfczx.jpg

raftman wrote:
I literally just starting tying my own flies this week. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who has done it for a bit now so she was able to show me the basics.

Nice. Ive been doing it for about a year now. Best advice I can give from another beginner is to practice practice practice and dont get discouraged. Ive spent many frustrating nights attempting to tie flies. Itll come easier the more you do though.

Nice. Ive been doing it for about a year now. Best advice I can give from another beginner is to practice practice practice and dont get discouraged. Ive spent many frustrating nights attempting to tie flies. Itll come easier the more you do though.

Thanks man! Yeah, I try not to get too frustrated... but there definitely have been some moments full of cursing. Haha. Generally though I find it really relaxing and a great way to zone out to some music and get into the process. Not to sound too cheesy, but it feels like an extension of fly fishing where the mind goes blank and you really get into the moment. I love it so far. I'm a bit nervous about trying to tie dries....

spring steelhead fly

Attachments

• steelhead2 (400x309).jpg
    steelhead2 (400x309).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6
try tying your stimulators with a size or 2 smaller hackle than what is called for. most beginners tie the stimulator to thick starting out.

Attachments

• DSCF0088 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0088 (400x300).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3
Thanks DC410! Again, looks great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back