>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messing around with sculpin helmets...
Nice ties everyone!

20160120_203432_zpsukqznkey.jpg

Stevo nice EHC, Tyger nice sculpin. Jack has been tight lining fly like that and picking up some big trout.

GenCon

Thanks guys. Im still trying to find the best way to keep the hair in position on top of the hook, some times it slides around a bit even with a few pinch wraps. Any suggestion?

Also, the deer hair Im using for them came from the deer I shot this past December. Feels pretty good to be able to tie flies with "homemade" materials.

https://youtu.be/7iXWIS9dprM - Hans W. CDC and elk.
Skip to 3:20, for tying in wing. It's not an EHC, but the wing is tied in the same. This helped me alot, learning to tie in deer hair wings.

Hope this helps!

I would say take 3 wraps, then pull down holding the hair still keeping it on top. Then take vigorous wraps over those three and it should lock it down. Are you tying the hair in over dubbing? Or is it a bare hook underneath near the eye? That could make it slip.

I have always pulled straight UP after applying two loose wraps to tighten the deer hair down and keep it on top of the hook. Just as important is maintaining total control of the wing with your finger and thumb until you have applied a fair amount of tight wraps to the wing. Don't let go of it too early! Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the tips.

Im tying them over the bare hook shank. The wings sometimes seem to fall heavier to one side of the hook or the other, or I'll get a few errant hairs that want to hang down.

steveo27 wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Im tying them over the bare hook shank. The wings sometimes seem to fall heavier to one side of the hook or the other, or I'll get a few errant hairs that want to hang down.

Steveo27, do not tie over a bare hook shank. Especially deer hair. It will slip every time. Wrap thread to kook eye then back to fly body. Then tie in wing. I hold deer wing tightly until I have it set. Once secure I then wrap under wing as well. Just a couple of wraps under and against the wraps you tied from the top. That locks them in for me.

GenCon

Thats what I meant, there is thread on the shank, but no dubbing where the deer hair is tied in.

steveo27 wrote:
Thats what I meant, there is thread on the shank, but no dubbing where the deer hair is tied in.

Ok, try it like I said above. It works for me. Just hold wing in place tightly.

GenCon

Blizzard fly, for some reason this blizzard today makes me want to tie dry flys.

GenCon

Attachments

• red quill1.jpg
    red quill1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 6
  • red quill2.jpg
    red quill2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 7
what blizzard con ?

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
Some more big trout meat for the box. I went old school a couple sz 1 & 2 Zoo Cougars.
E615E5CF-5A57-4FD6-BB28-38FFBCC302DC_zps8fkmdekk.jpg

Nice zoo cougars.

GenCon

dc410 wrote:
Nice fan wing Red Quill, Mike.

Thanks John, I like your adams as well. Just finished making a big pot of venison stew. Now it's time to tie parachutes.

GenCon

Once I was done doing this....
20160124_110504_zpskbyhqxg3.jpg

I tried my hand at some pheasant tail hot spots. I think they turned out OK for my first few. I'm having trouble keeping the pheasant tail all together for a tight wrap... must be my fat fingers. I also think my tails are a bit long.

20160124_170041-01_zpspkeyqnaw.jpeg

Nice, Raftman. I just finished a handful of traditional bhpt. I think I try some of yours.

few madtom catfish

Attachments

• DSCF0337 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0337 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0338 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    DSCF0338 (1024x768) (400x300).jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 10
Sandfly, I like those cats.

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.