>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some Sulphur Duns
DSC_0129.jpg

Atherton No. 5

DSC_0126.jpg

Nice looking ties there!

Mario, that is some really nice flys. What size?

I was playing around with some really small BWO parachutes. At least small for me #20. Did a thread body. Looked good till I looked a pics. Then I see I need more work.

GenCon

Attachments

• bwo.jpg
    bwo.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 4
Brian, sweet ties man.
Mike can you get a closer pic of that I can hardly see it! Looks great, gonna have fun with that pattern....

mario66pens wrote:
Some Sulphur Duns
Atherton No. 5

Beautiful

Gencon wrote:
I was playing around with some really small BWO parachutes. At least small for me #20. Did a thread body. Looked good till I looked a pics. Then I see I need more work.

What's wrong with the BWO parachutes?

Bob, nothing wrong with parachutes. I was just being my own critique.
Size 20s are hard for me to see.

GenCon

Thanks for the kind words guys.

GenCon, the Sulphur dun is a sz 14 and the No.5 is a 12.

Carp fly attempts. Sorry for bad pic quality...

CAM00653_zps224c43fc.jpg

CAM00663_zpsf1f99f6c.jpg

And a sculpin helmet guy...
CAM00647_zps5b8f7db3.jpg

Nice looking ties Tyger. I like the color choices as well.

GenCon

J55tyger88 wrote:
Carp fly attempts. Sorry for bad pic quality...

They look GREAT1

Still chippin away at mine....

2 flies I have been doing

Attachments

• hellgie.JPG
    hellgie.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 5
  • steelhead.JPG
    steelhead.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 4
  • steelhead2.JPG
    steelhead2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks JT

Brian- those are some really pretty dry flies. Very well done.

Mike- I never tied a size 20 parachute and I don't really think I want to. That one looks great.

Tyger - that is a great "carpy" looking fly you picked. I can't wait to stick old "rubberlips" with that fly. Looking good.

Sandfly- I'm liking that hellgie pattern.

Overall, there have been so many great flies put up on this thread. I feel like I'm going to miss something great if I don't keep up with it on a daily basis. Good stuff!

Size 14 beadheads. First tied with mohair the second with hares ear dubbing

Attachments

• he mohair~2.jpg
    he mohair~2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 5
  • he dubbing~2.jpg
    he dubbing~2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4
Hey Jack (lv2nymph) I plan on tying a bunch this weekend and putting a noticeable dent in that awesome material you gave me way back over the summer. Any nymph/emerger pattern suggestions for the next couple months? I don't have a good rod for tight lining so I'll be using standard nymph and scud hooks (not the sweet "jig" hooks you often use). Need to challenge myself at the vice (easy to do at my tying ability level). I'll be looking through this thread for ideas as well!

Don't think I've ever tied little BWO nymphs, only dries, I think that's where I'll start so specific patterns for those are greatly appreciated

My own variation of George Daniel's Czech catnip caddis.

IMG_20150212_223513_403.jpg

Generic Nymph

Attachments

• pheasant tail.jpg
    pheasant tail.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 7
sarce wrote:
Hey Jack (lv2nymph) I plan on tying a bunch this weekend and putting a noticeable dent in that awesome material you gave me way back over the summer. Any nymph/emerger pattern suggestions for the next couple months? I don't have a good rod for tight lining so I'll be using standard nymph and scud hooks (not the sweet "jig" hooks you often use). Need to challenge myself at the vice (easy to do at my tying ability level). I'll be looking through this thread for ideas as well!

Don't think I've ever tied little BWO nymphs, only dries, I think that's where I'll start so specific patterns for those are greatly appreciated

Hey how are Ya? I have one for you.
Use the dark brown mink to make these nymphs, you will need:
#14 nymph hook
7/64's copper brass bead
Dark brown mink fur on the hide
The collar is the fur cut from the hide and put in a dubbing loop, if you've never fooled with one of those you should be able to google it or find it in YouTube.

flyswappic-1.jpg

I came up with this tie about sixteen years ago it takes fish year round...

Awesome Jack, many thanks. I should have everything I need, maybe not that exact bead size but I'll make do. I did learn the dubbing loop with the psu flyfishing club. I'll give that pattern a shot later tonight.

Been great, settling in near DC with a new job and new apt. I do miss being surrounded by trout in PA though. Hope you're doing well too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back