>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like those winged wets... the bottom one looks like a George Maciag pattern. I don't fish it ever but I hear it's a real killer.

NickR wrote:
I like those winged wets... the bottom one looks like a George Maciag pattern. I don't fish it ever but I hear it's a real killer.

That's because it is. I know George taught Wheff at the Bean, I didn't know you knew George, too.

Whheff

Those are some nice looking ties!

Thanks all.
Yes that is George Maciag's pattern. That fly is a great streamer pattern to have.
The winged wets are a pattern that Allen Landhear posted on FB I really like it so I thought I would give it a try. They are March Browns with a hot spot. I am happy with them because putting wings on flies is not my strong point.

Those are great looking flies. Maybe you turned the corner on putting on wings. I like them a lot. Thanks for sharing

Nice flies Whheff! What is the body on George's pattern? It looks like a Hornberg without hackle.
Mike.

FrequentTyer wrote:
What is the body on George's pattern?

Not trying to steal Bill's thunder, but I happen to have a picture of the underbody on George's "Killer".

It's squirrel tail tied tight up to a lead underbody, trimmed short, and then head cement on the thread.

The mallard is 4 feathers - one on top, one on the bottom, and one on either side....

George DID give me permission to post the recipe, too.

Attachments

• killer underbody.jpg
    killer underbody.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 3
New addition for the Smallie box. Murray's Magnum Bluegill.

Attachments

• Murray's Magnum Bluegill.jpg
    Murray's Magnum Bluegill.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 6
Hey John, nice fly. That looks like it would be good in a local farm pond.

PM sent

GenCon

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Thanks Ed. Nice pattern, and clearly not what I would have guessed!
Mike.

DC410,

There's a lake near me that I would love to try that pattern on! Not smallies, but I bet the bucket=mouths would not be shy!

A couple of flies from the other day.

Attachments

• DSCF1148.JPG
    DSCF1148.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1153.JPG
    DSCF1153.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF1157.JPG
    DSCF1157.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF1151.JPG
    DSCF1151.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 3
Dcap, that is some really nice tying.

GenCon

FrequentTyer wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

Thanks Ed. Nice pattern, and clearly not what I would have guessed!
Mike.

Thanks for posting that Ed.
Mike, there is also a specific way to put the mallard feathers on the fly. The top feather goes on second before you put the side feathers go on.
Bill

This was my second attempt at tying a elk hair caddis. This is a size 16. They are slowly getting better.....slowly

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice flies Dcap and nice one bassman. Bassman, one thing I would recommend on the elk hair caddis, I usually trim my hackle so it is about where the hook point is. At least that is what I normally do but once again nice flies both of you.

Dcap, nice flies!

Steve, please take this with a grain of salt but, i feel you would benefit from peeling a couple barbs from the stem before you palmer body hackle. It helps get your first turn laid down nice and reduces stray barbules sticking out its butt.

Bassman, one thing I would recommend on the elk hair caddis, I usually trim my hackle so it is about where the hook point is. At least that is what I normally do but once again nice flies both of you.

Steve, please take this with a grain of salt but, i feel you would benefit from peeling a couple barbs from the stem before you palmer body hackle. It helps get your first turn laid down nice and reduces stray barbules sticking out its butt.

I love the feedback....that is why I post here. I am teaching myself as I go so any tips for a better tie are appreciated.

I don't know George personally but we have some mutual acquaintances and I spend a good deal of time in the Lehigh Valley. A lot of people seem to reference him and speak very highly of his tying and fishing abilities. I really like some of his ties. Thanks for sharing that Ed.

Tying up some Hydra's for my box and the carp swap. Dean Myers was my influence behind this pattern...he has a cool Chain Gang series of nymphs that he ties using bead chain...been incorporating it into some of the carp and bass patterns I like to tie.

Attachments

• Hydra Fly Pattern.jpg
    Hydra Fly Pattern.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back