>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the mulberry strips of craft foam with some sort of coating? Maybe uv resin or epoxy with dye or sharpie? It's pretty cool looking.

Inspired by others and with the hope that Spring is just around the corner, I figured it was time to try my hand at sucker spawn. Sat and tied a few of these.

Found it interesting that such a simple looking tie required me to think and use techniques such as pinch wrapping to get the correct look. Also had me wishing I had used some hand lotion. Dry skin and tying thread do not play nice.

Hope the wind dies down early enough to let me hit the river and try these out. I don't mind the 20 degree temps, but throw in a nasty breeze and I come to my senses!

Attachments

• Sucker Spawn.jpg
    Sucker Spawn.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 3
The stuff works.....
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00121UVU0/tvwb-20

Nice cluster Dave.

Rolf wrote:
The stuff works.....
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00121UVU0/tvwb-20

Hope so. Since "Fly Tyer's Finger Treatment" is no longer available, I've really been struggling with this problem.

Pretty sure it was you that turned me on to Bag Balm years ago, but it's just too greasy to tie while it is on my hands. Smelly, too.

It was nice to be able to apply FTFT at the tying bench, and get right to tying.....

Thanks for the tip.

BTW - I did a google search for FTFT, and I see it's available again. Woohoo!

Fly Tyer's Finger Treatment

The helping hands stuff is deff the best stuff I have found in the last few years. Not greasy at all.
I usually have problems with my hands in the fall through the spring because of constant washing and being exposed to the cold and low humidity outside. A friend of mine suggested gooping vaseline on your hands and covering them with old socks when you sleep. It works, but the working hands is much easier and convenient.

Partridge and yellow. With a twist. Been doing soft hackles.

GenCon

Attachments

• partridge and yellow.jpg
    partridge and yellow.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1
Very nice Mike, perfect amount of dubbing. Your hackle/head tie off is sharp as a blade... Good tying.

Thanks Jack, I did about 1/2 dozen. Next I will do 6 more using a 1/2 hackle for a sparse collar.

GenCon

Just a no-name bug I tied this afternoon for something to do instead of going out in the bone-chilling cold.

Attachments

• Bug.jpg
    Bug.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the compliments on the mulberry fly. For those of you that were asking about the mulberry I tied... it's foam tied on the hook (there is a trick to it) and then cut to shape, colored with marker and then coated in a stretch, non toxic odorless epoxy. Stem is just a green silly leg.

This sowbug pattern has been working wonders for me this year.

Attachments

• Sowbug Pattern.jpg
    Sowbug Pattern.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1
NickR wrote:
This sowbug pattern has been working wonders for me this year.

Interesting looking bug, Nick. Can you share details for newbies like me?

Nickr, that is a cool sowbug.

GenCon

Nothing fancy today. I'm going to tie some beadhead suckerspawn. Using gold color sparkle yarn and a gold bead, size 14. It won't be long now that I can use those.

To cold to fish so I thought I would try some winged wets.

I also tied a few streamers. Georges killer bugs.

Attachments

• 1509689_712639055521841_2857218576921744378_n.jpg
    1509689_712639055521841_2857218576921744378_n.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1
  • 10929163_712638975521849_7017872231560118386_n.jpg
    10929163_712638975521849_7017872231560118386_n.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1
whheff, that is some good looking flys.

GenCon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back