>>>What are you tying today ? Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mysis shrimp patterns for and end of the month trip to Colorado (Blue and Frying Pan). Finishing those, I need to move on to some midge dries.

jeremymcon wrote:
Nice DC410. I've been meaning to tie a damselfly nymph imitation other than just a wooly bugger. Do you fish that fly on a dead drift, or slowly retrieve it?

Too be honest with you, Jeremy I haven't fished it yet. I have just been playing around with some different damselfly nymph patterns and liked the way this one turned out. I really was experimenting with making my own eyes out of heavy monofilament. I made these eyes out of 40 lb. test Maxima Chameleon. From my research I have learned that damselfly nymphs are fairly slow swimmers so imparting some action on it while fishing it would definitely be something that I would try. I would think a fly like this would produce well for smallies in some of the areas near you.

Everyone's putting out some really nice flies, great tying everyone. Jeremy, make sure mister lips gets a look at those poppers soon.

jay348 wrote:
jeremymcon wrote:
...May be a little late in the season...

...been practicing my stacking.

Those are pretty cool looking. I tried making a deer hair bass bug once... Didn't go all that well. I couldn't seem to pack the hair tight enough. I kind of gave up on it. I imagine all the legs and the stripes in the deer hair body are time consuming. How do you trim a deer hair body that has rubber legs sticking out of it, anyway?

lv2nymph wrote:
Jeremy, make sure mister lips gets a look at those poppers soon.

I'm planning to get out to the Juniata again sometime this week!

Extended body flies. Never tried them before. Not intending to imitate anything particular but these will get zipped around in the near future.

CAM00406_zps615e36ca.jpg

CAM00404_zps2a576f51.jpg

Good work tyger. I like the deer hair extended body flies. Makes a good damsel fly too once you get the hang of it.

jay348 wrote:
jeremymcon wrote:
...May be a little late in the season...

Nah...I caught a few bass looking up this past weekend. Those'll do nicely!

Dcap, those foam flies are excellent...would fish em in a heartbeat.

Same thought process w/ the topwater here...been practicing my stacking.

Dam you are giving Pat Cohen a run for his money

Jeremy,
Thanks, i can see it making a good damsel fly. Seems like most ext bodies are moose hair?

Lots of nice looking flys going on. Tyger those extended bodies look pretty good. Bring them Thurs.

GenCon

Thanks mike. Will do.

J55tyger88 wrote:
Seems like most ext bodies are moose hair?

Oh is it moose hair? I don't think I've seen anyone tie one with moose hair. But sure it looks like that works too. I've seen and tied extended body patterns with deer hair.

Jeremy, these are tied with deer hair. The one i watched from Tightline used moose body hair.

Cool buggies Jim, those will take fish.

Fred, more like studying his how-to video religiously. These are just the better-looking ones...lotsa duds.

[/quote]
How do you trim a deer hair body that has rubber legs sticking out of it, anyway? [/quote]

The method I learned from Mr Cohen's tutorial is that you actually shape the deer hair first, then thread the legs through the trimmed body with an embroidery needle. However, my crappy needle broke, so I'm getting by using a loop of tippet to string em through. Hope this makes sense.

I tied stupidity today. 4 dzn crystal meths. Meh

Sean I usually OD after 1/2 a dozen.

I'm working on a super secret fly for gifts for the Steelhead Jam, only clue is "It involves Ice"

Started some size 24 BWO last night. For some reason I photoed the one with the lumpy body.

Attachments

• 24 BWO.jpg
    24 BWO.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2
Finished up a box of Baetis nymphs and RS2 flies for my late fall trip to Colorado.

Attachments

• RS2.jpg
    RS2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3
Plain with feathers...

Attachments

• IMG_20141012_172355_859-1024x576.jpg
    IMG_20141012_172355_859-1024x576.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back