Warm Water Jam - Juniata River, Aug 25-27 2017

jifigz

jifigz

Okay folks I've been talking about planning and hosting a WW Jam for a while now. I am scheduling it for August 25-27. I will supply some food and grills etc. There is plenty of space for people to bring campers, RV's, tents, or whatever you are going to choose to stay in. I would appreciate it if all would help to contribute some sides and general things to share. There are no RV hookups here but you are more than welcome to park one on our property for the weekend. We will be staying just a very short walk from the Juniata in smallmouth paradise.

The address for the jam is as follows:

45 Fisher Bee Lane
Granville, PA 17029

Please let me know who all plans on coming so I can plan accordingly.

Great to hear, it's on my calendar.

I look forward to meeting you Dave. Glad you plan on attending!

I made an edit on the title line so that readers can get the key info at a glance.

Some things to consider: A brief itinerary would be helpful for those who can only come up, say, on Saturday. This way they can link up with us if they wish to. Where will folks be fishing? Lunch link up? This sort of thing.

Also, many attendees will want to bring kayaks, canoes, or rafts (our previous WW jams saw many floaters). A start and take out point for a float trip would be helpful for Saturday.

We can fine tune the plan in this thread over the next week or two.

I appreciate the title change, it definitely helps clarify.

Float trips both short and longer are easily scheduled. We can launch boats from right here on our own land. There is a nice gradual launch perfect for small watercraft. It is on our private ground but has never been posted. It is essentially public. There is a public PFBC boat launch about 3 miles down river and the downtown Lewistown launch is about 8 miles down river.

The general itinerary can certainly be discussed. I prefer to stay and wade the waters right here because the J doesn't offer much better fishing than the easily accessible waters right by the property. I have 2 kayaks here that may be used by the group. I don't have PFD's anymore though.

I hope to make it, we are leaving on the 29th for a trip to Yellowstone, Tetons, etc.so it will be tight.

I'm too old, soft and lazy for camping, are there any motels reasonably close to your place?

Sounds like it should be great time, thanks for hosting.

Ken

KGStine wrote:
I hope to make it, we are leaving on the 29th for a trip to Yellowstone, Tetons, etc.so it will be tight.

I'm too old, soft and lazy for camping, are there any motels reasonably close to your place?

Sounds like it should be great time, thanks for hosting.

Ken

Ken,

The closest hotels are a Super 8 and a Quality Inn in Burnham. There is a newer Best Western in Milroy. There aren't many accommodations like that here. There are some cabins, bed and breakfasts, etc. There used to be a bed and breakfast in Reedsville and Reedsville has 3 Class A streams that converge. Would be a good spot for a trout escape and still only about 15-20 minutes from my place.

Hey thanks for putting this whole thing together!!! It sounds like it will be a blast and much needed break from my busy summer. I should be there unless something unexpected happens.

I plan on camping in a tent at night and kayak fishing for the most part provided there will be others there willing to do a float.
I can bring some craft beers from Lancaster and whatever we might need eat. If anyone has any request from the Lancaster area let me know.

Thanks again,

Brian

I look forward to you coming up HopBack. I am a fan of all things beer. In fact, your handle always makes me think of beer (obviously.) But feel free to bring whatever you please.

I will be there for the 3 days.When we get an approximate head count,I'll make sufficient chili.
I'll be leaving from West Chester,PA early AM Friday in my Excursion,so if anyone in my area,or on the way, needs a lift(or haul bulky equipment),let me know by PM here
Tom

Good to see such interest. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll probably bring a canoe and do a short float, maybe three miles, on Sat. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

Dave_W wrote:
Good to see such interest. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll probably bring a canoe and do a short float, maybe three miles, on Sat. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

My property to the Granville boat launch is 3 miles exactly. There is some mighty good water too.

Jifiz...is the ramp above or below your property??
Can it be floated in a jon boat at current water levels?
What gage should I use to get a good proxy for the flows?
Thanks
Tom

AFISHN wrote:
Jifiz...is the ramp above or below your property??
Can it be floated in a jon boat at current water levels?
What gage should I use to get a good proxy for the flows?
Thanks
Tom

The boat launch is downriver from my place. The float could be done right now in a jon boat. If the river is at typical summer time lows there is one pretty good section of shallow water down river that could give you issues. If you're just floating it would probably work but if you are planning on using a prop at all it won't be so good. Gotta have a good jet boat for the Juniata.

I should point out that if you know the water well you can probably make it work but I've bottomed out my kayak and tubes and such in that section before..

I'll plan to be there in the evening on Saturday! Maybe Sunday too, depending on what my wife has planned. Scheduled to work during day that weekend, unfortunately.

I would be around Juniata this Sat :hammer:

Attachments

• Trout take the offer.jpg
    Trout take the offer.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like a great time! I doubt I can stay over since it's the first week back to school for me, but I'll definitely try to make it up on Saturday to fish and hang. Depending on what everyone's doing, I can bring my kayak. Also, would love to contribute some food/beverages.

I plan on being there all 3 days with a friend we wont be camping [getting to old for that]
looking forward to AFISHIN's chilli

i am planning to attend as well. Details of trip not settled at this time, but will definitely participate and looking forward to it.

Back