Traveling Trout Co. - Trout Towns

I agree with everything that preceded this quote. But, I have to be honest, I learned about several of my favorite wild streams because of the internet. I'm sure I wouldn't have leared about them otherwise. Also, when the Class A list became available (which I printed) way back, that provided me with lots of fishing options that I wouldn't have had without it. The internet made all that possible.
I agree, but I also lost some of my favorite streams to posting as a result of the internet....

We had these things called "letters". Willing to bet authors got plenty of "hate mail"
Except we could rarely read the other hate mail so you didn't get the sort of self gratifying dog-piles we see online.

Except we could rarely read the other hate mail so you didn't get the sort of self gratifying dog-piles we see online.
Very true. And I've been thinking a lot about the downside to everyone basically having access to global publishing.

the internet has ruined many things besides fishing. best you can do is just live with it and move on. no one is making you log into the internet, yet here we all are arguing about the internet, on the internet....figure that one out

We had these things called "letters". Willing to bet authors got plenty of "hate mail"
That may have been the case, but the general public would have no way of learning about the "hate mail" a given author recieved. With the internet, complete opposite.

Insecure anglers who need to have their egos stroked and become famous or infamous on the Internet make me want to puke...
Hey Bam, are you trying to say I should quit posting so many generic stream reports with cookie-cutter 8 inch browns? Okay, noted. I liked yinz' fellers stroking my ego, though.

I agree with everything that preceded this quote. But, I have to be honest, I learned about several of my favorite wild streams because of the internet. I'm sure I wouldn't have leared about them otherwise. Also, when the Class A list became available (which I printed) way back, that provided me with lots of fishing options that I wouldn't have had without it. The internet made all that possible.

The first Class A List I ever laid eyes on, (which I posted previously and below) existed BEFORE the Internet and came from a mailing from PA Fish Commission and later sort of appeared in the PA Angler Magazine.

With that simple list, those of us who weren't lazy & didn't need to be spoon fed by current day egocentric losers figured out the what & wheres and went fishing...

Attachments

• Old Class A List.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 16
You know guys, our forum isn't much different. I have learned about streams from other members here that I probably never would have step foot in if it wasn't for this forum. Likewise, I have shared certain stream info with people and they probably wouldn't have found or gone looking for that stream without me sharing it with them.

Seriously, just last week I was on a stream I just can't get out of my head. I didn't have enough time to explore it, but that stream checked every single thing I like about a trout stream, and the fishing was just damn good. I would have NEVER gone there without this forum member giving me a tip about it. You know who you are, and thanks again. That stream is probably going to the grave with me.

So, we are crowding each other's waters, but is it all okay because are friends? Or it is all okay because we know how fanatical we are about fly fishing and we all cherish the resource so much? You know what I mean? Like we have faith that we will wet our hands enough when we touch the fish, not broadcast the name of the stream around, and not disrespect it to ruin the access....ya know?

...Or it is all okay because we know how fanatical we are about fly fishing and we all cherish the resource so much? You know what I mean? Like we have faith that we will wet our hands enough when we touch the fish, not broadcast the name of the stream around, and not disrespect it to ruin the access....ya know?

Except that everyone who looks over our shoulder for the info, doesn't behave the same way and anyone who assumes they will...

...is a fool at best.

Just look at the A$$hole who is the subject of this thread. He hoodwinked folks into divulging info so he could create his "Trout Town" legacy...

THAT is the problem...

Before the internet did people respond to writing books about trout streams the same way some do to YouTube videos?
Soon after my book came out, I was at a fly show. A guy who owned a small fly shop and who was exhibiting there said that guidebook writers "should be taken out and shot." He said that right to me, with other people there hearing what he said.

The first Class A List I ever laid eyes on, (which I posted previously and below) existed BEFORE the Internet and came from a mailing from PA Fish Commission and later sort of appeared in the PA Angler Magazine.

With that simple list, those of us who weren't lazy & didn't need to be spoon fed by current day egocentric losers figured out the what & wheres and went fishing...
My basic point was that I didn't even know a Class A list existed until I got on the internet. I thought I struck gold when I first saw it. :)

My basic point was that I didn't even know a Class A list existed until I got on the internet. I thought I struck gold when I first saw it. :)

You were asleep at the wheel... ;)

The lists began in the 1980's with the implementation of Operation Future.

You were asleep at the wheel... ;)

The lists began in the 1980's,
I understand that, I just wasn't aware of it until the internet. Like a local stream has been on the Natural Repo list since the 70's, and I didn't become aware of that until last year, via the internet.

Last edited:
Soon after my book came out, I was at a fly show. A guy who owned a small fly shop and who was exhibiting there said that guidebook writers "should be taken out and shot." He said that right to me, with other people there hearing what he said.
Dear troutbert,

That was uncalled for. Your book helped 1000's of PA anglers. Not everyone was lucky enough to have mentors or learn by osmosis from more experienced anglers. I went to a lot of streams you wrote about and found myself alone on most of them. I don't do much of that kind of fishing anymore, but I'm grateful that you afforded me the opportunity back then.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I understand that, I just wasn't aware of it until the internet. Like a local stream has been on the Natural Repo list since the 70's, and I didn't become aware of that until last year, via the internet.

The PA Angler Magazine and now the Pennsylvania Angler & Boater Magazine was and is a valuable source of information for anyone who fishes in the Commonwealth. That's where I learned all about Operation Future, Class A streams and the works LONG before the Internet...

IMHO, Everyone who lives & fishes here or outsiders who want to learn about what Pennsylvania has to offer should subscribe...

I been a subscriber forever and IF you were a subscriber way back when, we might have bumped into each other on some obscure Class A back in the 1980's back when NOBODY knew about Jean's... :D

I guess you could say the PA Angler Magazine was the first "official" spot burner...

...although unlike PAFF & the Internet IF you didn't have a subscription you were SOL.

BTW - I believe I told you about Mill Creek which I didn't learn about via the Internet... ;)

The PA Angler Magazine and now the Pennsylvania Angler & Boater Magazine was and is a valuable source of information for anyone who fishes in the Commonwealth. That's where I learned all about Operation Future, Class A streams and the works LONG before the Internet...

IMHO, Everyone who lives & fishes here or outsiders who want to learn about what Pennsylvania has to offer should subscribe...

I been a subscriber forever and IF you were a subscriber way back when, we might have bumped into each other on some obscure Class A back in the 1980's back when NOBODY knew about Jean's... :D

I guess you could say the PA Angler Magazine was the first "official" spot burner...

...although unlike PAFF & the Internet IF you didn't have a subscription you were SOL.

BTW - I believe I told you about Mill Creek which I didn't learn about via the Internet... ;)
I used to read Pennsylvania Angler, but I quit after I realized it didn't have much to offer regarding wild trout fishing. I much preferred Pennsylvania Game News, it took care of my hunting fix nicely.

Back