Traveling Trout Co. - Trout Towns

Okay, so I am going to address many aspects of this thread in this post. First of all, I didn't mean the Joe Humphreys book. I meant the Joe Armstrong book. I now know that Dwight's book is different. Maybe I will buy a copy just because.

I, too, very much enjoy YouTube. I don't hate anyone posting about certain streams or regions or trout towns. I also enjoy watching videos of people fishing, as weird as that sounds. However, with the advancements in content being created, when is that going to go "too far?" Ya know what I mean? There are a few streams I would be PISSED if they started getting broadcasted all over the place.

When I watch certain people fish streams on YouTube, I am not even intrigued to go to their spots or where they are. I have always been this way. I am sort of a "beat to my own drum/free thinker." I am not easily influenced by others to do anything ever. I may say, "that's cool," but then I still go about my original plans. I put in the work to find something and to make a plan, and I want to see that put into play. There is one stream, however, in a Wild Trout Man video that I would love to know what it is. Maybe I will pass that on to some of the expert sleuthers in here. Someone will know it.

Regarding pressure on water, I will say this: It is virtually non-existent. There is so much trout water in Pennsylvania and so few nutty guys chasing them all year long like me and some other people here, that pressure is not even a consideration. However, if certain quality streams got spot-burnt, I could see them succumbing to excessive pressure.

Regarding trout, I only wanna catch wild fish. If there aren't wild fish, I don't really want to fish there. If it is a wild stream that gets stocked, I will fish there and enjoy catching stockies alongside the wilds. If it is a stocked stream that is just garbage, I'd rather go fish for other species or to actual trout water. In all of the areas that I fish, the streams without trout are so much fewer than the streams with trout. I mean, trout are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Once again, this correlates to low pressure and tons of water. Plus, I have so many streams in my back pocket that I couldn't care less about pressure. I do, however, hate it when you make plans, go to one of your favorite streams where you never see anyone, and then, bam, a fisherman. That sucks.

Your saying this guy didn't actually go to these streams to make these videos. How does that work?
I think he is specifically referencing Traveling Trout coming on here and asking us what we thought to help narrow down where he actually had to go....but I could be wrong.

Your saying this guy didn't actually go to these streams to make these videos. How does that work?
No. I'm saying he didn't have to do the real leg work of actually researching all these places he's filming. He simply went on the webz and hoped people would give up their spots. He piggybacked off of others in ways that some of the authors mentioned in this thread have not.

Okay, so I am going to address many aspects of this thread in this post. First of all, I didn't mean the Joe Humphreys book. I meant the Joe Armstrong book. I now know that Dwight's book is different. Maybe I will buy a copy just because.

I, too, very much enjoy YouTube. I don't hate anyone posting about certain streams or regions or trout towns. I also enjoy watching videos of people fishing, as weird as that sounds. However, with the advancements in content being created, when is that going to go "too far?" Ya know what I mean? There are a few streams I would be PISSED if they started getting broadcasted all over the place.

When I watch certain people fish streams on YouTube, I am not even intrigued to go to their spots or where they are. I have always been this way. I am sort of a "beat to my own drum/free thinker." I am not easily influenced by others to do anything ever. I may say, "that's cool," but then I still go about my original plans. I put in the work to find something and to make a plan, and I want to see that put into play. There is one stream, however, in a Wild Trout Man video that I would love to know what it is. Maybe I will pass that on to some of the expert sleuthers in here. Someone will know it.

Regarding pressure on water, I will say this: It is virtually non-existent. There is so much trout water in Pennsylvania and so few nutty guys chasing them all year long like me and some other people here, that pressure is not even a consideration. However, if certain quality streams got spot-burnt, I could see them succumbing to excessive pressure.

Regarding trout, I only wanna catch wild fish. If there aren't wild fish, I don't really want to fish there. If it is a wild stream that gets stocked, I will fish there and enjoy catching stockies alongside the wilds. If it is a stocked stream that is just garbage, I'd rather go fish for other species or to actual trout water. In all of the areas that I fish, the streams without trout are so much fewer than the streams with trout. I mean, trout are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Once again, this correlates to low pressure and tons of water. Plus, I have so many streams in my back pocket that I couldn't care less about pressure. I do, however, hate it when you make plans, go to one of your favorite streams where you never see anyone, and then, bam, a fisherman. That sucks.
I ran into Wild Trout Man once on the stream. He seemed less than thrilled to see me. It was near the confluence of two streams, and since he was there before me, I asked what his intentions were. Ended up he had the same plan for the day as I did, so I punted and went elsewhere for the day. Hope he appreciated it. I went back to that stream about a month later and it was very good, FWIW. I know most of the streams in his videos, but not all of them.

All you need is a go pro or even a decent cell phone and your can start making YouTube videos. Maybe download some editing software

Many people already have everything they need to get started.

"Bankroll" and "startup" could be anywhere from $0 to a few hundred dollars.

That's what makes YouTube great, but also what makes individual YouTubers problematic. It is no big commitment to start creating and posting videos. There is no barrier to entry and no way of "keeping out the riff raff."

As for making money directly from videos, it's sort of like collecting interest, you need a lot of content to make that revenue stream significant and it also builds up over time as your old videos continue to be viewed, particularly if you continue to try to grow your "channel." There's also the idea of creating content in order to get your name out there and maybe get various sponsorships or other opportunities.
Everyone knows the real money in the fly fishing game is not YouTube, but regional forums.

Im

"I'll tell you the problem....it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on *youtube*, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!"

View attachment 1641236668

"I'll tell you the problem....it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on *youtube*, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!"
Post of the year. 🤣

I ran into Wild Trout Man once on the stream. He seemed less than thrilled to see me. It was near the confluence of two streams, and since he was there before me, I asked what his intentions were. Ended up he had the same plan for the day as I did, so I punted and went elsewhere for the day. Hope he appreciated it. I went back to that stream about a month later and it was very good, FWIW. I know most of the streams in his videos, but not all of them.
You’re far kinder than I am. If I see a youtuber on a creek I’m high holing so fast it’s not even funny. If anyone has no business being angry about pressure it’s those people.

I believe that books on fishing locations are incredibly helpful , especially for me. Some people are lucky enough to live close to good water and have the time to fish many hours per month. Those of us who have to drive 2-3 hours to find a class A stream and only get to fish 3-6 times a year need some help. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Troutbert on several occasions and he is a genuinely nice guy. Spot burning is in the eye of the beholder. So any person who names a river in a book is a spot burner? Not in my book.

View attachment 1641236668

To be fair, isn't this how life works in general? Take what others have done, build upon it, and move forward. Look back through history and you'll find countless examples of inventors, entrepeneurs, and others taking the work of others and capitalizing on it. I'm not saying its right, but let's face, there is very little that is "original" these days!

To be fair, isn't this how life works in general? Take what others have done, build upon it, and move forward. Look back through history and you'll find countless examples of inventors, entrepeneurs, and others taking the work of others and capitalizing on it. I'm not saying its right, but let's face, there is very little that is "original" these days!
Let’s just be honest with ourselves, here. It’s totally the way of the world these days. My advice is - find your “spot” for the day and fish the hell out of it - and don’t forget to have fun while you’re doing it!

Exactly. I once had an idea to sell feral rocks but it didn’t work out how I expected. Then someone else took my idea, built on it, and domesticated the rocks. The rest is history.

Oh of course. My entire "career" is one which stands upon the shoulders of giants. I have no interest in offering anything original.

I still see that as a little different than "quick, cheap, and easy". Standing on the shoulders of other doesn't necessarily negate the need for hard, laborious work, for example.

But honestly, I have fun trolling a bit, but ultimately I care very little about a youtube bro and his channel. I just thought I saw an inherent difference between what TB has done w/ researching and writing a book vs what this "content producer" has done.

Insecure anglers who need to have their egos stroked and become famous or infamous on the Internet make me want to puke... And if you think it isn't all about that, why is there such high production value in their videos when they tell the world how great an angler they are and where...?

Of course they CAN'T just show you a place without the sound effects, the folksy acoustic lead-in music and the fancy "Fly Fishing Little Crick in Dauphin, PA (18.2208° N, 66.5901° W) with Blowhard Bill" opening credits...

The Internet HAS changed EVERYTHING...

Despite how many times someone will say, "there are no secret streams," the exponential exposure and glossy promotion of out of the way locations and even well known spots on websites will eventually have a huge impact on the resource & ANY hope of the solitude you once enjoyed.

Putting it into perspective, how many additional dufuses with a GoPro on their head showing up on your favorite out of the way crick would it take to F up your day & the fishing...? One or two maybe?? That's something that is a WHOLE lot more likely to happen today than 20 years ago.

Or, how many MORE cars along Penns during the Green Drake hatch will it take for you to consider other options next year...?

It reminds me of the time I told two friends about about a small Class A stream in the Poconos...

In the meantime, if you ask...

CnLPQMtWYAEjaqW

You’re far kinder than I am. If I see a youtuber on a creek I’m high holing so fast it’s not even funny. If anyone has no business being angry about pressure it’s those people.

Small stream etiquette still applies whether he has a camera on him or not. He was there first and had the right of way to fish where he wanted. I only did what I would’ve wanted someone to do for me if I was there first. Got rewarded with a good day on that stream a few weeks later. All good.

Small stream etiquette still applies whether he has a camera on him or not. He was there first and had the right of way to fish where he wanted. I only did what I would’ve wanted someone to do for me if I was there first. Got rewarded with a good day on that stream a few weeks later. All good.
Totally agree with Swattie on this one. Lots of opportunities to give each other space when needed. It’s easy to be that A$$hole, but it takes a lot of predetermined ethics to not be that guy. How much better would we be today if this was the norm?

Before the internet did people respond to writing books about trout streams the same way some do to YouTube videos?

Back