Traveling Trout Co. - Trout Towns

Small stream etiquette still applies whether he has a camera on him or not. He was there first and had the right of way to fish where he wanted. I only did what I would’ve wanted someone to do for me if I was there first. Got rewarded with a good day on that stream a few weeks later. All good.
Reminds me of a time I hiked the mile to get on the bottom section of Jeans. I got there around 7:30am. I had already been fishing for a short while, when two other FFs showed up at the little ford where the stone walls are. They saw me and quickly got upstream of me. It's the kind of stream where you don't want to be downstream of others, and you don't want to be playing hopscotch, because it'll quickly beat you down. I packed up and left with my tail between my legs. I only wish they had your same stream etiquette!

Reminds me of a time I hiked the mile to get on the bottom section of Jeans. I got there around 7:30am. I had already been fishing for a short while, when two other FFs showed up at the little ford where the stone walls are. They saw me and quickly got upstream of me. It's the kind of stream where you don't want to be downstream of others, and you don't want to be playing hopscotch, because it'll quickly beat you down. I packed up and left with my tail between my legs. I only wish they had your same stream etiquette!

Yeah. That’s lousy.

If I see a likely fishing vehicle in a likely spot parked along a small stream, I generally just punt and go elsewhere. Or, if there’s a long enough stretch of fishable water, I’ll go well upstream and start. At least a mile, minimum, two preferably. But usually, I just go to a backup stream in the area I’m in.

I’ve had it happen a couple times where guys did knowingly high hole me like that on small streams, but it’s not often. Less than once a year. Most small stream guys “get it” and show pretty good respect for one another.

Just happened a few weeks ago though on a small stream on public land with a dirt road along it. My buddy and I were fishing a stretch right up against the road, and a vehicle came by slowly. We gave the usual smile and wave and kept on fishing. About 20 minutes later we come around a bend and see a guy fishing a few runs up. The stream was fishing well, but we had plans to hatch chase in the evening and it was getting close to 4:00 anyway, so decided to just call it and go get some wings and beers before the hatch. Upon walking out to the dirt road, we found that his vehicle was the one that had just driven by slowly and we waived to. He parked and started fishing maybe 200 yards upstream of where he saw us fishing. There was a bridge in between there, and maybe he assumed we were getting out at the bridge, but that’s not an assumption you get to make IMO if you’re not the first guy there. Had it been earlier in the day, I probably would have approached him, and tried to (as politely as I could manage) explain what he did was in poor taste, and I wouldn’t have done that to him if the roles were reversed.

I’ve had guys show up in lots for some good small streams a few minutes after me, and I usually offer to fish with them, or split the water up somehow, but Wild Trout Man did not offer to do that, and with me as the second guy there, it was his to offer (if he wanted), and not mine to ask. I was cool with it, no hard feelings at all. Set your alarm clock earlier Swattie is the answer.

I can’t say I run into guys often on brookie streams. But when I do, I’m all about communicating. Always a good idea to see what their plan is. Maybe share yours. Sometimes the outcome is fishing together. Sometimes they say “hey I’m just finishing up for the day.” Sometimes they are fishing to a specific pool. Sometimes you fish somewhere else. Whatever the outcome is. It never hurts to ask what someone else’s plan is for the stream/day. Nothing wrong with being Super Ethical ;) . I mean having Super Etiquette.

it isnt my cup of tea but I really dont understand all the negative shade being thrown at the guy.
He was open about his intentions, he asked for suggestions, he went places, he made videos like he said he was going to, big deal .

I should add about my WTM encounter…I did park in the same lot as what I assume now was his vehicle. It was Fall archery season, and I deduced that the vehicle (only other one there) was more likely a hunter than a fisherman, given the time of year. The hike in to the stream is about a quarter mile, and puts you on the receiving stream about 100 yards downstream from the trib I (and he) was targeting. When I got down to the stream he was sitting on a rock either building or untangling a leader, and that’s where I talked to him. He didn’t beat me there by much, but he beat me.

In April or May, I would have likely just punted right away seeing that vehicle and not spent the effort on the hike in, but I thought it was worth the gamble given the time of year.

I was walking across the meadow to fish Lititz Run a couple years ago. A vehicle pulls up and guy gets out with all his flyfishing gear on. He actually went running across the field carrying his tripod and video stuff in order to cut me off. I recognized him from some Youtube channel. I ran into another one of these guys on a big stream and although he is quite chatty on his videos he was sour and had nothing to say in person.

And the satisfaction of finding a true gem in the process was more rewarding due to the time and effort required to find them.

Many moons ago when I lived in NYC, me and our TU chapter president went to the Poconos for a big TU/PA Fish Commission pow-wow about New Jersey's plan to stock Pacific salmon in the Delaware River. To kill time before the presentations armed with nothing but those crude PA Angler maps (like I posted on #93), we drove around until we came across a little creek on the map in Luzerne County.

Not only did we find two cans of cold beer sitting in the stream by a bridge footer, but I saw a riser and caught it on of all things, a Royal Coachman dry!! It was a beautiful wild brookie that was almost black because the water was so stained with tannins. I fished that creek once more a few years later and that was the last time.

About 15 years ago, I went back for a look and now it is all posted. I rustled the feathers of the landowner who came charging down the road when he saw me looking at the stream from the same bridge were I found the beer. I told him I was on the public road, not his property and I had no plans on fishing but he was VERY annoyed by my presence...

I made sure to stand on the bridge for another 15 minutes before driving away just to pi$$ him off. :devilish:

What's funny about all this is the creek was NOT on any Class A List at the time, since and even today isn't on any wild trout lists. So without that map, some reconnoitering and dumb luck that the property wasn't posted, somebody left behind two beers, and I saw a rise...

I wouldn't have this sweet memory... :)

While this stream isn't a secret, in 2024 you'd be hard pressed to find it via the Internet, lists, books, apps, of some hotshot's videos. I won't divulge the name for my usual reasons and because the landowner will probably shoot you...

However, if you want to go there with a camera crew to post a video of you trespassing to fish the creek so you can splash it all over your YouTube channel...

I'll happily provide coordinates. ;)

Many moons ago when I lived in NYC, me and our TU chapter president went to the Poconos for a big TU/PA Fish Commission pow-wow about New Jersey's plan to stock Pacific salmon in the Delaware River. To kill time before the presentations armed with nothing but those crude PA Angler maps (like I posted on #93), we drove around until we came across a little creek on the map in Luzerne County.

Not only did we find two cans of cold beer sitting in the stream by a bridge footer, but I saw a riser and caught it on of all things, a Royal Coachman dry!! It was a beautiful wild brookie that was almost black because the water was so stained with tannins. I fished that creek once more a few years later and that was the last time.

About 15 years ago, I went back for a look and now it is all posted. I rustled the feathers of the landowner who came charging down the road when he saw me looking at the stream from the same bridge were I found the beer. I told him I was on the public road, not his property and I had no plans on fishing but he was VERY annoyed by my presence...

I made sure to stand on the bridge for another 15 minutes before driving away just to pi$$ him off. :devilish:

What's funny about all this is the creek was NOT on any Class A List at the time, since and even today isn't on any wild trout lists. So without that map, some reconnoitering and dumb luck that the property wasn't posted, somebody left behind two beers, and I saw a rise...

I wouldn't have this sweet memory... :)

While this stream isn't a secret, in 2024 you'd be hard pressed to find it via the Internet, lists, books, apps, of some hotshot's videos. I won't divulge the name for my usual reasons and because the landowner will probably shoot you...

However, if you want to go there with a camera crew to post a video of you trespassing to fish the creek so you can splash it all over your YouTube channel...

I'll happily provide coordinates. ;)
So you stole somebody’s beers? No wonder he posted it 😂

I’ve come across some stream stashed beers before too, but always figured someone put them there for a reason and left them be.

Those were my beers. I'll PM my address.

Identify the brand and I'll send you two replacements... Of course I will probably lie if you guess correctly.

Which begs the question...

I decide to do a good deed and take a plastic bag out of my vest because I see some trash strewn in and around a stream. I come across what appears to be two full cans of beer in the creek. I retrieve them and determine they have obviously been there a while based on slime on the cans & the plastic six pack rings...

Do I leave them because they are full assuming someone put them there for a reason?

Do I put them in the bag because who knows how long they've been there and they do fall into the same category as the other stuff I'm picking up and putting in the bag.

Do I open them to see IF there is beer in the can or just water that leaked in through an unseen hole. If I open them and it is beer, do I put the open cans back in the creek above the pull tab holes?

Do I just remove the plastic six pack ring and leave the unopened cans behind?

Or do I just ignore them and the other stuff?

In the meantime, I think I'll drink those found beers and give it some more thought... ;)

I was walking across the meadow to fish Lititz Run a couple years ago. A vehicle pulls up and guy gets out with all his flyfishing gear on. He actually went running across the field carrying his tripod and video stuff in order to cut me off. I recognized him from some Youtube channel. I ran into another one of these guys on a big stream and although he is quite chatty on his videos he was sour and had nothing to say in person.

I ran into a similar situation where my buddy and I were fishing at Pohopoco we were moving down to the lower limit before private property and these two dudes rolled up to the parking lot and literally sprinted in waders trying to beat us to the creek. Fishing is not that serious, especially on that creek lol

it isnt my cup of tea but I really dont understand all the negative shade being thrown at the guy.
He was open about his intentions, he asked for suggestions, he went places, he made videos like he said he was going to, big deal .
When I started the thread, there was no negativity regarding it. I pointing out that it is coming true.

I didn't give him any info when he came looking the first time, but if you look at that post, it sparked EIGHT pages of posts. He definitely got info from us. He was transparent in his means of asking. That is good.

One day, I was on Honey Creek in Reedsville. Ya'll know the community playground? Anyways, right below it is a sweet riffle (ya'll get this tidbit for free. Is that spot burning?) and I was already walking towards it ready to nymph. A dude parked along the road as I was walking to the riffle, got his **** out of the truck in a hurry, and ran right down over the hill to beat me to the water.

He knew where I was headed, and I found him trying to beat me to it and not even say anything a little disrespectful. Oh well. Whaddya d?

Excellent guess considering I wasn't far from Wilkes Barre but it wasn't Steg...

Really... ;)

BTW - It wasn't Gibbon's, Genny or Utica Club either.
Was it Black Label? I used to steal those from my dad and hid them in the creek before the high school dance. They were pretty nasty!

Last edited:
Bam-

I think I have that same trout map.
It was in Pa angler in the early '80's, as part of Operation Future I believe.
Thought it was so neat to have all of the trout waters in the state, marked as being either stocked or wild fish.
I cut it out for reference. And think I still have it in the attic.

Explored streams in those days by using it, along with the PA DeLorme.
And Charlie Mecks first book - "Meeting and Fishing the Hatches.
At that time, I really thought I was armed well with a wealth of information.
Then something called the internet came along, and made all of it obsolete.

Bam-

I think I have that same trout map.
It was in Pa angler in the early '80's, as part of Operation Future I believe.
Thought it was so neat to have all of the trout waters in the state, marked as being either stocked or wild fish.
I cut it out for reference. And think I still have it in the attic.

Explored streams in those days by using it, along with the PA DeLorme.
And Charlie Mecks first book - "Meeting and Fishing the Hatches.
At that time, I really thought I was armed well with a wealth of information.
Then something called the internet came along, and made all of it obsolete.

Absolutely, the PA Fish Commission introduced Operation Future in the April 1983 issue of the PA Angler Magazine

Also in the issue was "Trout Fishing in Pennsylvania," a multi-page guide with the color coded maps and regional lists of "Approved Trout Waters." That's where I got the image I posted.

That guide was also published separately and available from the PA Fish Commission or at some fishing license agents. That's what I used as my bible for a LONG time...

I also have and used Charlie's book a LOT although I don't consider it obsolete. ;)

Back