Traveling Trout Co. - Trout Towns

I use the state forest maps a lot. They are very useful maps, and they are free!

I also use the Purple Lizard maps. They have a map of the Pine Creek drainage. They cost some money but it's worth it.

I still carry the Delorme in my truck.
I get to quite a few places where there is no signal.
And like to have it available if needed
Love it. I worked for a gas utility changing gas meters right out of college, and all we had were the county atlases and a pencil so we could erase all the notes we had to make to find each address.

It took me years or a move to a new home to lose them finally!

it isnt my cup of tea but I really dont understand all the negative shade being thrown at the guy.
He was open about his intentions, he asked for suggestions, he went places, he made videos like he said he was going to, big deal .
If you go back in his archives to his first videos, you will find him calling folks who offered him good advice haters, and being intentionally offensive.. He continued to antagonize those of us who did so on many (most) of his subsequent videos,and continued to do so for a long time. Perhaps he still does, idk. I saw him at the Hotel Manor several years ago and was able to recognize him from his voice and speech mannerisms. At least he had the good sense to not be fishing The Pine at that time due to the conditions. He is in his 30's and should know better (in my opinion). So yes, we have a history

Last edited:
Algorithms and auto play…

That’s the difference between a print guidebook, or even this forum and the YouTube/IG/tiktok heroes. If I want to read a conditions report on PAFF or a guidebook I need to already be looking for it (there’s nothing wrong with helping out folks looking for a little extra help- in fact it’s one of the best parts of the sport).

BUT… Contrast that with YT where I can be watching a plane crash documentary and the next video up is PAspotburningandsingingtomyself fishing the same pool on the WB for the 80th time this year. Social media will always be way worse for that reason. The damage done by those algorithms is really insidious- it puts already pressured waters in front of viewers that never even thought to check them out. Next thing you know they’re booking a trip!

If you want help upping your game or finding new water, guidebooks like Troutbert’s require you to take the initiative and do some legwork. YouTube just smacks you with big fish after big fish video, and the worst offenders name drop the exact waterways, access points, parking areas, and techniques. Hell they basically tie the fly on for you and tell you what rock to cast behind. That cheapens the experience for everyone, and is why I’m never gonna be cordial to some self-aggrandizing doucher out there wearing a GoPro
Bingo!

If you go back in his archives to his first videos, you will find him calling folks who offered him good advice haters, and being intentionally offensive.. He continued to antagonize those of us who did so on many (most) of his subsequent videos,and continued to do so for a long time. Perhaps he still does,...
I recall those videos specifically.

So I have a question concerning what is to close when running into others on streams. Since I’m getting back into fly fishing. What is a respectable distance to give others ? I’m sure some of that depends on stream size , accessibility , etc. for example. I fish a stream once or twice in the fall that only has access at a small state game land parking area and a pull over maybe several hundred yards up stream. I don’t often run into anyone fishing there , but sometimes someone will be parked at gamelands lot and I’ll park upstream at the pull over. The terrain of the area makes it impossible to know if some is up at the pull over. (I’m sure someone on here will probably know where I’m at.) I do not want to jump in front of people’s space. I do know first hand about spot burning , jumping in front , etc. I run into a lot of that fishing bass tournaments. I do my best to treat people the way I would like to be treated.

also use the Purple Lizard maps. They have a map of the Pine Creek drainage. They cost some money but it's worth it.
Purple Lizards are fantastic.. They are a local company, and I own about 7 different maps from them.

7 pages long. This thread is almost as long as the original where free came asking for info on trout towns. Nice work, fellas.

So I have a question concerning what is to close when running into others on streams. Since I’m getting back into fly fishing. What is a respectable distance to give others ? I’m sure some of that depends on stream size , accessibility , etc. for example. I fish a stream once or twice in the fall that only has access at a small state game land parking area and a pull over maybe several hundred yards up stream. I don’t often run into anyone fishing there , but sometimes someone will be parked at gamelands lot and I’ll park upstream at the pull over. The terrain of the area makes it impossible to know if some is up at the pull over. (I’m sure someone on here will probably know where I’m at.) I do not want to jump in front of people’s space. I do know first hand about spot burning , jumping in front , etc. I run into a lot of that fishing bass tournaments. I do my best to treat people the way I would like to be treated.
Way too many variables for hard and fast rules. A good rule of thumb on small streams is to avoid seeing others in general. I figure even if I “front end” someone an 8th of a mile upstream it doesn’t really matter if they don’t know I’m there. With bigger, more pressured waterways mostly try to just read the spacing of other anglers out there and not get any closer than that. It’s not an exact science. Definitely been burned enough times trying to leave a ton of space between myself and someone else only to have a third person slip into the area between.

In the situation you described above, if the top access were open I’d fish it. And if someone is downstream working up and we eventually see one another I’ll probably just head way down beyond where they started and try to catch what they missed.

I worry about it when I see a person, not a parked car, especially at an SGL, SF or other place that attracts hikers, bird watchers, hunters and pot smokers... ;)

Simple, put yourself in the spot of the other fisherman and give them the amount of room you would find respectable on that river.

Not that I go fishing to get into altercations but I've had people walk right through me. The only thing I ever say is "I would have given you more space." Every time except for once I received an apology with a claim of ignorance.

Simple, put yourself in the spot of the other fisherman and give them the amount of room you would find respectable on that river.

Not that I go fishing to get into altercations but I've had people walk right through me. The only thing I ever say is "I would have given you more space." Every time except for once I received an apology with a claim of ignorance.

That’s a really good way to explain it.

Gonna cliffhanger us on the one time you didn’t get the apology? 😛

I say something similar a lot of the time. It happens most frequently to me actually surf fishing. There are days where it’s acceptable to be one truck width apart based on crowds. If you don’t like that, don’t go on those kinds of days…holiday weekends, etc. And there are days where you better not be within a quarter mile of anyone else. Gotta read the conditions. But there’s a lot of people out there who just buy the surf tag to be able to drive on the beach. I’ve seen people tossing a pyramid with no hook when they get there and never touching it until they leave.

Last edited:
Back