Toothy Critter Success Thread

nice!

Holy Cow!
Hope we can do that on the 16th! Or is a double askin too much?
Good catch TD.

Yeah thats a beast! Very nice catch TD!

Thanks guys this fish was a beast. I wasn't really sure how big it was till I got it to the bank.
DJ I sorta had an inkling that it was somewhere close but I really did not expect it to hit on the figure 8 I was just doing it for good measure. It was quite the rush. The worst part was having it hit with about 3 feet out of the tip top and having like 70 feet of line sitting at me feet and I knew I had to get this fish on the reel.

So, how long does it take to get 70 feet of line on the reel when you are fighting a monster? :)

Too long haha. No serously it took about 5 or 6 seconds I have a Ross CLA and they are pretty smooth so I just have to slap the side of it and it starts spooling up pretty quickly but it doesn't happen fast enough when thats on the other end. They start bulldogging to the bottom or come out of the water and do an alligator death roll and its all over. Luckily this one was hooked good. I do have to say that I don't think I would have had such good hook penetration on a short strike with mediocre hooks. I like my Gamakatsu.

Too awesome TD55.

And on the figure 8 - dang! :)

(Have you switched to wire or still using flouro?)

Still using the flouro. This fish inhaled the fly and was rubbing all over the leader and it held up just fine. Did have to redo leader though it was frayed pretty good.

How big of fly did ya catch it on?

12" tandem 7/0 front hook 6/0 rear hook.

Me Bilg25 and Paco and another friend of mine went on the pursuit for toothies. We had a great morning. The musky didn't seem to interested but the pike were. Myself, Bilg, and Paco all got a pike 29", 27", and 27" all on the fly. My other buddy got a 22" walleye on an 8" musky lure. I got bit off on a mid 30's musky. I am now considering possibly wire or a different brand of flouro after 2 bite offs this season. It was my favorite fly too. Oh well I guess back to the tying bench to replace it.

6-10-12-1.jpg

6-10-12-2.jpg

Corey6-10.jpg

Ryan6-10.jpg

come on bilg its called a grip and grin photo not a grip and stone face killer

nice fish guys

Bilg is as COLD AS ICE!

Ha I'll make sure to smile the next time!

Some mighty nice northerns there!

There are folks who pay top dollar to travel to Canada to catch fish like these on a fly and you guys are nailing 'em on FF gear right here in PA. Well done indeed.

Fishidiot wrote:
Some mighty nice northerns there!

There are folks who pay top dollar to travel to Canada to catch fish like these on a fly and you guys are nailing 'em on FF gear right here in PA. Well done indeed.

Good point Fish,
I have a coworker who likes to go up to canada to go after big fish. Except for steelhead and other salmon type fishing it is hard to beat right here in PA. Up here the fishing in NW PA is great. Trout, steelhead, musky, SMB. You name it and we have it here in PA. The only problem is having enough fly rods and flys to chase all the fish!lol.

TD, I have some tyger wire I will bring along a piece for you to try out.

We were into bigger pike in the spring those 2fts are fun none the less. Especially fishing newer water.

loaded the kayak up last night after work and headed to the lake to try for musky. got the skunk but had some excitement. I was fishing a weed line when i saw a large musky break the surface nearby. i ran 10-20 casts all over the area, backed off, switched flies, and approached again. on i think the third or fourth cast a huge swirl erupted under my line on the cast. lined em.
what did i do wrong? i'm using a 10wt with intermediate line. should i be using a floating line that lands lighter? i noticed blue gill fry, probably about 3-4 inches all over the lake. should i be using a fly that immitates these bluegill?

Back