Toothy Critter Success Thread

With the summer we were having with really low water and warm temps toothy fishing got pretty tough. I was doing some other fishing thru the dry spell so I wasn't getting out alot but picked up a pike here and there. Got out yesterday and got a nice musky 36". Like Paco said we are going to Wisconsin this week and hope to blow up this thread with lots of pics.

9-16-12-1.jpg

9-16-12-2.jpg

TD55 wrote:

...we are going to Wisconsin this week and hope to blow up this thread with lots of pics.

Please do.

(nice fish as well!)

TD55 wrote:
Like Paco said we are going to Wisconsin this week and hope to blow up this thread with lots of pics.

Yeah baby!
Sounds like a great trip - wish I could join you guys. Post some pics (even if you don't smoke 'em).....then we can at least join you vicariously. :)

Lisence are bought, flyes tyeds and everything coming together. Were riding a cold front as we get into town the stage is set!

Well we got a sh*t ton of pics and had even more good times. From tenting through a snow storm, saw a wolf and we made a pile of new friends.
IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_9067.jpg

TD and I had a pile of fallows that leads into boatside figure 8 action. Which was a very cool experience in itself. We got 2 eats a piece and both missed personel best fish. But we both landed a fish and picked up some tricks of the trade. Brad Bohen and Musky Country Outfitters are class acts and know thier musky and thier waters like no other. If ya wanna know how its done look them up!

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_8211.jpg

47213_4577101354447_492104905_n.jpg

Been waiting for this! Looks like an awesome trip!

Two thumbs up!
Looks like a great trip with some good action (by muskie standards). Those WI muskies seem to have a distinct coloration: rather dark over the top, black fins, with a noticeable greenish cast to the flanks. Nice.

I still can't get one this year. Spent about an hour yesterday evening beating a favorite, deep, tributary.... increasing clouds and approaching frontal system, things looked good. Had a hard strike and pull but, in the cloudy water I didn't see the fish (might have been a big bass).

Looked like a fun trip for sure. Still waiting to hear the details of the trip. And I have questions for you. Possibly see you at the shop this friday

The trip was awesome. The fishing was great even though we only picked up 2 fish. We probably had follows from at least 20 different fish. The water up there is AMAZING and everything just screams musky. 10 minutes into the 1st days float I had a follow from a 45 or so fish that turned on my figure 8 at the boat at least a dozen times then disappeared under the boat. As I made one more turn the fish come flying out from under the boat and inhaled my fly but I pulled it right out of it's mouth. I could not stop thinking about that fish the entire trip and am still upset about it but oh well thats musky fishing for ya. Brad Bohen, Chris Willen, and Lucky Porter up at Musky Country Outfitters are great guys and I would recommend anybody go up there. I know we will be going back for sure. Here are a few more pics from the trip.

wisconsin1.jpg

wisconsin4.jpg

wisconsin2.jpg

wisconsin3.jpg

Some more Wisco pics.

This is the shot of the bank that the big 48 incher was caught in the Zero to Hero movie.
IMG_3033.jpg

The train tressel over the "Chip".
IMG_0528.jpg

Shore lunch at the "Sturgeon Hole"

IMG_8045.jpg

If anybody is looking for a great musky setup I have one for sale in the swap forum. Nothing wrong with it just have too many.

I have the Echo Ion 10 wt. as my personal musky rod. I'm very happy with it. FWIW, I think that whoever gets that rod from TD55 will be getting more than their money's worth.

The Echo 10 is my stick for musky too. And I haven't found a fly line that is too heavy for it yet. It's a well built & a tank of a rod. And I have landed my biggest musky (a 42 in) to date on it. It's more than enuff rod.

I made it out musky fishing post tropical storm Sandy. The river was at flood stage so we knew it was gonna be a good night. Hooked it on a double 6/0-5/0 black and yellow hangtime.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

That's an AWESOME looking fish Paco. Get a measurement? Looks heavy.

I had a musky trip planned this weekend. Water will probably be ripping in the original spot I was looking at, but you gave me some hope!

Taped at @ 43 with tail pinched and I'd guess 20 to 25 pounds. Didnt even know she was in front of me. I had a smaller fish fallow in a couple casts before I hooked her. It totally inhaled a 12 inch fly, had both hooks in it.

I got after voting and picked up 2 pike and had a bite off. One was a solid 30s fish.
IMG_0575.jpg

Wow- beautiful pike Paco! I seriously doubt there are many northerns that size being caught by FFers in PA. A real trophy.

Question if you don't mind: How do you and TD55 land your fish? Do you use a big landing net and, if so, how do you carry it when wading (I'm assuming you guys do some of your muskie fishing on foot or by wading)? I carry a big landing net - learned too many times the hard way that these critters don't come to hand easily. I chopped the long handle down on my net so that it takes less space in the canoe or on my back when wading. What do you guys use?

Believe it or not we hand land everything (tailing them) Were always wade or bank fishing also . Its a team effort, But when you get your hands on your leader below the break point its really sketchy. But we only lost 1 outta maybe 50 fish this way. Beach em if ya can....

It is hard by yourself. Often thought of net. I banked this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1
Back