Toothy Critter Success Thread

Havent got around to posting these I have been busy hunting and what not. Got out sunday and smoked the pike. Landed 6 nothing big 28-32" but great day nonetheless. Only fished for 2 hours so action was hot. All caught on 2 flies. I was testing out some new hooks and they were the only 2 flies I had tied on them. Partridge Ultimate Predator 8/0. They are awesome super sharp I won't be using anything else.

11-11-12B.jpg

11-11-12G.jpg

11-11-12-A.jpg

11-11-12H.jpg

11-11-12D.jpg

11-11-12F.jpg

Would you muskie guys be willing to give a newb muskie fisher some general advice? I just picked up a new 10 wt. today and was looking to try it out. I have everything i think i need except the flies. Would pike flies work or should i be using bigger?

Welcome zfisher. Pike flies will work, but musky-specific flies tend to have a bigger, water-pushing profile. Brad Bohen's flies have become a standard in the past couple of years:

Hang Time

Buford

These guys have been doing a lot w/ musky flies recently as well.

As far as action and castability, I've found a lot of variation in the flies I've tied/fished. Experiment and see what you like the best.

Oh yeah...dont stop casting.

As far as this thread goes, I had one swipe from a smaller musky this morning on an area lake. But the way this season has been going, I'll consider that a toothy critter success.

Find out what style of approach ( natural or syn.) you wanna take and work your patterns up what looks good and you feel will work and have confidence in it. Granato or Bohen they got some of the best patterns in the game. If ya can find the quality of the material to tye em with.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Find out what style of approach ( natural or syn.) you wanna take and work your patterns up what looks good and you feel will work and have confidence in it. Granato or Bohen they got some of the best patterns in the game. If ya can find the quality of the material to tye em with.

Thanks for the reply! Are there certain pros and cons of naturals and synthetics I should be aware of? I am also pretty new to fly tying so forgive my lack of knowledge. And the figure 8 thing, is it really necessary from shore? Or is it a boat thing? 1 more thing, mono or wire?

I like natural materials. I never tried synthetics so I can't say pro or con. Florocarbon you will eventually get bit off. But wire kinks its all what ya feel comfortable with.

ok, thanks. And in regard to the habitat, will they be closer to shore or out deeper. I am planning on fishing the Susquehanna and some local muskie stocked lakes.

zfisher wrote:
ok, thanks. And in regard to the habitat, will they be closer to shore or out deeper. I am planning on fishing the Susquehanna and some local muskie stocked lakes.

Paco and the others might have a better suggestion for river fishing...but as of yesterday in the SE, there were still some fish tight to shore at the nearby lake. They were also near the only patch of weeds on the shoreline we were standing on.

Until lakes turn over, I'm guessing this would be the case wherever these fish are.

zfisher I fish with Paco alot so our opinions are pretty much the same. I also like natural materials (bucktail, feather, throw in some rabbit here and there). I have not fished the synthetics but from what I am told you get false hooksets occasionally from the synthetic material getting caught in the roof of a musky's mouth. Also I don't think you can get as much water pushing profile with synthetics unless you make it really bulky which will make it harder to cast. Look at Brad Bohens hangtime thats pretty much what we throw with some variations. For leaders like paco said with flourocarbon you will get bit off occassionally but it is rare. I have been bit off 2 times in 2 years and have caught over 50 toothy critters now so that's a pretty good batting average. The wire kinks bad is not as easy to tie as they claim and will rarely even break. I think the benefits of the flourocarbon is the bonus fish you catch such as walleye, smallmouth, largemouth, etc.. I don't think you would hook up on these fish as much using wire. As far as habitat goes in rivers you will find them in some of the faster water but 90% of the time they are in some sort of current break (behind a boulder, in some weeds, backwater eddy, etc...) and definitely always throw to the bigger holes. Lake fishing is a little more complicated because you can't read the water as well. In lakes the fish will generally be in the shallows near weeds or on steep dropoffs looking up for baitfish. LIke jay said with winter coming they will be moving off the shallows soon if not already. Remember they are ambush predators so anything that looks like they can sit and hide likely has a toothy in there. And I say it time and time again keep your head in the game. It takes a level of dedication to do this that most people are not willing to do. You will fish long days and may not see a fish for weeks or hook up on one for months. But I guarantee that it will eventually happen and when it does I promise you there is NOTHING like it.

Oh and the figure 8 thing if you are on a boat you will want to do it everytime because they come out of nowhere. When wade fishing or fishing from the shore I always try to make some sort of direction change a sweep to the left or right or a circle or 8 if you can. To a musky or pike that means a fish trying to get away and they don't like that. So to answer your question yes do it when possible. Probably 80% of your strikes are going to be within a rod length from you.

I'll add my limited experience with synthetics:

The most useful application I've found is as a tail material to add some length (I ran out of good hackles recently). I've tried the bass skirts as well...they look nice and add bulk, but flies end up casting like a wet rag.

I tied an all-EP material fly recently...looks nice, and casts well enough; but it didn't really push any water and kinda sunk hook-first on the pause...just wasn't crazy about the action.

Synthetics definitely have their place, but I'm partial to the natural materials as well. But like paco said, finding good materials can be a challenge.

Yes especially feathers for tailing. That is the hardest. I have found that over the last few months the saddles are becoming more and more available now thank god. Even can get some grizzly ones again. I have looked at alternatives for tailing material but have not found anything I like so far. It is hard to beat the looks of saddle feathers or good schlappen. What were you using for the tailing Jay

Yeah I'm kinda bummed I didn't get to the symposium to stock up. As for the synthetics, I've got a pack or two of EP material, but that's it. I can't complain about the product, but I'm hoping to find a good substitute...stuff is pricey.

Tough to tell here, but I used the olive over white:

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2
Ive bin kicking out some singles and stocking up for next spring.
IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

pacof, those flies are downright scary.....good stuff. I see you have mono leaders tied on - never use wire for the toothy guys?

@TD55 -

Where does one obtain those partridge hooks?

I use flouro that's it. Next yr I'm gonna mess with some knotable wire. You think those are scary? I haven't even started on my tandems for next season.

Thanks for all the information. I'll check out some of the linked flies and make an attempt at tying them if I can get the materials.

Back